Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Rumor Mill: New Hotel at Parsons and Livingston

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Rumor Mill: New Hotel at Parsons and Livingston

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

slr

I heard there a plans to put a Marriot Hotel by Nationwide Childrens Hospital. Is this true?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’ve never seen anything in the news about it. Children’s has bought up a lot of land in the area, relocated the CVS from the old Kroger Plaza to the SW corner of Parsons & Livingston, and I recall reading that they have plans to raze the old Kroger Plaza when the rest of the tenant leases are up (Wendy’s and I think Rent-A-Center are still there). Not sure what all will be built on that site, but I guess there’s enough room for a hotel. If that actually turns out to be true…
    More Children’s Development news here:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/tag/childrens-hospital

gmcsoccer
    Participant

the Wendy’s has been shut down. we came back from traveling after Christmas and the signage was gone. hotel would be interesting. i’m sure there are visitors to the hospital who would stay there, but there’s not much else of interest that would draw travelers to the area, although it would be really convenient for people visiting me as I live about 0.5 mi west of there.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

gmcsoccer wrote >>
    the Wendy’s has been shut down. we came back from traveling after Christmas and the signage was gone.

Granted, there’s no evidence of a correlation between Wendy’s and Children’s, but I’ve got to wonder sometimes if the hospital is trying to destroy or help that neighborhood.

cbusguy

BOBB Chevy still owns the site and they leased the corner (registered under a seperate LLC)to CVS for the site of their new store. From what I heard is the original plans called for a Midrise Extended stay type to accomadate people staying in area while family members are at Chidrens Hospital. I have not seen the plans or any parcel splits yet but this would be a good fit for that corner as this area lacks any real hotel accomadations. They tried to get the alley vacated to allow then some more options but that was rejected by Schumacher Place so I don’t think they will get that approved. Most likely they had to redraw plans to fit the site. We will see here probably within the next 6 months.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

gmcsoccer wrote >>
    the Wendy’s has been shut down. we came back from traveling after Christmas and the signage was gone.

Oh, wow. That was sudden. I guess I haven’t been by there in the last week or two.

I can’t imagine that plaza still being there by the end of the year then.

Kerry

Attended the Merion Village Association meeting tonight and a Children’s Hospital Representative gave an update. They had encouraged Wendy’s to stay but ultimately it was their decision to leave and all employees were offered positions in other locations so no one was out of a job.

The Family Dollar will be moving in the next 2 weeks and CVS will relocate this weekend and open Jan 10th. The buildings except the old Kroger space will be gone in a matter of weeks. The Kroger space is used for storage and will remain for 18 months. The site will be a 6 story research building.

The pedestrain cross over on Livingston is not going to happen, the new garage has been changed from visitor parking to long term employee parking (meaning cars will be parked for 36+ hours at a strech). Consideration is being given to do a cross over on Parsons from research to hospital.

honavery

The building going up now right next to the current hospital is quite large/tall….much taller already than the existing building, and it seems to still be getting higher.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I hope the new hotel, if it happens, is built to the street and not your typical suburban stucco hotel surrounded by a parking lot. The hospital has a perfect opportunity to build an urban village over there. I could definately see a hotel working, probably even some midrise apartments and/or condos to cater to employees. Maybe even some medical office condos or a research tower for lease to other firms.

It seems like everything I wish for ends up getting done half ass or not at all, so I’m hoping for the best.

Patch
    Participant

mrsgeedeck wrote >>

gmcsoccer wrote >>

Granted, there’s no evidence of a correlation between Wendy’s and Children’s, but I’ve got to wonder sometimes if the hospital is trying to destroy or help that neighborhood.

Well, I’d say there is a correlation, since the Auditor’s page shows Childrens as the owner of the property:

Parcel ID Map Routing Number Owner Location
    010-074751-00 010-S004A -013-00 CHILDRENS HOSPITAL 580 E LIVINGSTON AV

gmcsoccer
    Participant

honavery wrote >>
    The building going up now right next to the current hospital is quite large/tall….much taller already than the existing building, and it seems to still be getting higher.

i heard it would be 12 stories, which would mean they are working on the top most floors now. judging by the cranes in place, that would seem about right.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Patch wrote >>

mrsgeedeck wrote >>

Well, I’d say there is a correlation, since the Auditor’s page shows Childrens as the owner of the property:
    Parcel ID Map Routing Number Owner Location
    010-074751-00 010-S004A -013-00 CHILDRENS HOSPITAL 580 E LIVINGSTON AV

Yep, more here:

Children’s Hospital purchases Kroger lot

Patch
    Participant

gmcsoccer wrote >>

honavery wrote >>

i heard it would be 12 stories, which would mean they are working on the top most floors now. judging by the cranes in place, that would seem about right.

The thing is a monster.

Already looks like its going to be a huge eyesore.

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

Patch wrote >>

gmcsoccer wrote >>

honavery wrote >>

The thing is a monster.
    Already looks like its going to be a huge eyesore.

Yes, a huge eyesore that cures children of horrible diseases and provides 1000’s of people jobs. I bet most people in this city, state and country, for that matter, would wish for such a thing.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I just counted the floors on the web-cam and it appears to be 14 stories high.

And what’s this about an eyesore????
    +100 Likes Old Houses
    -1000 Patch

Btw, has anyone seen renderings of the new 6 story research building and/or the proposed hotel?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE