Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Hoof Hearted Brewing

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Hoof Hearted Brewing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Beer Review: Musk of the Minotaur IPA

Written by Sage Wolfe on July 27, 2012

I sat down with a couple friends at Jury Room last week to try new Columbus brewery Hoof Hearted’s Musk of the Minotaur IPA, and the aroma isn’t bullshit, but it is strong. Sweet orange predominates, backed up by the sharpness of lime, grapefruit and pine. This quartet carries through to the flavor, with the orange transitioning to a big mango flavor out front, and the lime sharpening and becoming spicy like ginger. There’s a little alcohol warmth present too, and it accentuates the spiciness of the hops. The sweetness hits you right up front, fades, and then comes out again on the finish. The mouthfeel is excellent, velvety smooth, with a nice round medium body and a finish that drops off quick but then lingers for a minute longer.

READ MORE: http://drinkupcolumbus.com/2012/07/27/beer-review-musk-of-the-minotaur-ipa/

Anonymous
    Inactive

We had Musk of the Minotaur on tap at Barley’s in early June. It was a really nice IPA and Trevor, Ryan & Jarod were all great, super-positive guys. It’s going to be interesting to taste their future concoctions.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I went to the opening of the pub yesterday. When our party got there about 5 minutes before opening I was told there were 70ish people in line. The early arrivers grabbed a table for 6 right away and ordered flights of beer. Service was a little iffy but not bad at all for the first day of being open. We ordered the poutine and the “hoof bites”. The poutine was by far the winner. From another table the fish and chips looked great, as well as the fried chicken plate, which was huge. The in house made hot sauce was good also.

The beer was fantastic as always. But that’s no surprise because these guys make the best beer in Ohio IMO.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Love that menu, can’t wait to try it. Living at The Foundry though we already had drunk assholes out back shouting and cat calling people going to the gym and breaking glasses near the entrance. Can’t wait for that too. :D And here I thought hipsters were supposed to be classy folks.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I can attest that there really are hooves in Morrow County.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Based on their menu, do they really have 6 IPAs on tap? Or is it a rotating system?

Seems a bit much.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Based on their menu, do they really have 6 IPAs on tap? Or is it a rotating system?

Seems a bit much.

IPAs are sorta their thing.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

And here I thought hipsters were supposed to be classy folks.

You’d be surprised by how diverse the crowd was. Beer nerds come in all shapes and sizes.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

IPAs are sorta their thing.

RedStorm
    Participant

^I’m with you OneBag. IPAs are overrated as heck.

Still going to check it out some time.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I used to think IPAs were overrated. Now those and sours are about all I drink.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gus W wrote:</div>

You’d be surprised by how diverse the crowd was. Beer nerds come in all shapes and sizes.

Oh, I’m sure. I was just commenting on the ones I interacted with… I’m sure I’ll be there tomorrow. It’s made parking a bit of a mess over there, so I hope that dies down.

wpcc88
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gus W wrote:</div><br>

Oh, I’m sure. I was just commenting on the ones I interacted with… I’m sure I’ll be there tomorrow. It’s made parking a bit of a mess over there, so I hope that dies down.

Living on that part of 1st actually parking hasn’t been that bad. We walked over yesterday afternoon around 4:30 and it was full and over an hour for a table. Stood around and had a few beers that were good, probably going to head back during the week to eat.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Popped in with some friends last night. They did a killer job with the space. It’s different than anything else in the city, IMO. Had a flight and the Belgian Tripel. I had the fish and chips, and they’re rad. Other folks at the table had poutine and tacos. Everything looked really good. The cocktail list is also REALLY tasty. Super well done spot.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I used to think IPAs were overrated. Now those and sours are about all I drink.

Preach.
    Also. Calling things “overrated” = kinda boring. When did people start saying that instead of just saying something isn’t their taste.
    That said, IPAs are kind of their thing. If that’s not your thing, there are plenty of other breweries in the city doing plenty of other beers. I will say that of the 4 beers in their flight, only one is an IPA. The Tub Life farmhouse pale, Belloq dark English mild, and Voltan imperial stout are all quite drinkable for the not hop lovers out there. :)

Oh. And our server and service was great despite there being a zillion people in that joint.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: