Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Home Security Systems

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Home Security Systems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Tenzo
    Participant

Back when I lived in Philly I had a beware of dog sign in the front window.

Then I took some 4 ton strength tow chain from home depot and kept the broken link when they cut it. I pounded a big steel spike in the front yard, attached the chain to it and put the broken link at the end of the chain.

Then I bought a large metal dog dish, wacked the heck out of it with the claw part of a hammer and placed it in the front yard.

If we had stayed longer I was going to put metal storm sutters on the inside and put a valiance in to hide it. There was one big window on the first floor.

On the other end of the spectrum, in my Columbus house, I have removed some features in preperation for sale. My realtor suggested that I tone it down, otherwise people will worry about why I felt I needed so much security.

Antonio

Tenzo wrote >>
    Back when I lived in Philly I had a beware of dog sign in the front window.
    Then I took some 4 ton strength tow chain from home depot and kept the broken link when they cut it. I pounded a big steel spike in the front yard, attached the chain to it and put the broken link at the end of the chain.
    Then I bought a large metal dog dish, wacked the heck out of it with the claw part of a hammer and placed it in the front yard.

That was clever, it’s always about appearance sometimes.

Tenzo
    Participant

This was Michael Vic’s town. Dogs were something to be scared of.

Antonio

Tenzo wrote >>

This was Michael Vic’s town. Dogs were something to be scared of.

LOL

misskitty
    Participant

We considered going with a home security company but in the end it was cheaper to do it our selfs.
    We got a five camera system with color and night vision for 500 bucks, we ran the cameras ourself and set them up to alert us by cell if there is motion detected and we can check it from our phones or the internet while we are away.
    On the cheap side we had a friend do the same thing with web cameras although it’s not as clear it still has the same notifications and actions.
    He installed that after his house was robbed 3 times in a month. On the 4th time his camera alerted him and he called the cops and was able to tell the police where the guy was in the house. He got caught and it was a great investment.

ryan.boder

Would you rather sign a 3 year contract to get a free monitored security alarm installed or buy alarm equipment up front, install it yourself and be monitored month to month without a contract?

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

I cannot wait for my ADT contract to be up, it was the dumbest move I have ever made house related.

This will be my system 7 months from now:

http://canary.is/
    http://www.gojiaccess.com/
    or if I decide to go full home automation:
    http://www.smartthings.com/

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

ryan.boder said:
    Would you rather sign a 3 year contract to get a free monitored security alarm installed or buy alarm equipment up front, install it yourself and be monitored month to month without a contract?

So you’re looking at Alarm Force? It depends on how long you expect to be at your current address. We signed a 3 year contract with ADT for a lower rate because we were almost certain to stay at our house for the 3 year duration. If you suspect you might leave then it might not be the best option.

geoyui
    Participant

good info in this thread. i was thinking of installing some type of siren, because I assume if there is one thing burglars/criminals hate, it’s attention. And maybe motion lights too.

Twixlen
    Participant

As someone who uses about every kind of alarm system available, from the enter, disarm, rearm & leave side of things, I like Vivint the best. They seem to be the most technology forward, and – iPhone app.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION