Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Home Security Systems

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Home Security Systems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We have an alarm system (Brinks), but agree with everyone else who said there are a lot of other things that need to be done as well (motion sensor lights, signage, closed up window shutters when we’re gone for more than a day, etc). It’s really just one part of a multi-part security plan, not just a one-off security device.

Off the top of my head, I can’t recall what we paid to install or what the monthly bill is. We opted to go the digital radio broadcaster route instead of the landline route, as we have no landline and didn’t want to shell the money out for one just for this. The response time is still really speedy.

As for the question about the motion sensor, I’m going to say that pets will probably set it off. We don’t have a pet, but I recall an old coworker having her home alarm tripped once while she was at work and it turned out to be due to a balloon that was left in the house that moved a bit for some reason (she thought maybe the a/c kicked on and blew it around a bit).

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I like motion sensor lights…especially high powered ones. You know, 500,000 watts or more. Someone makes the mistake of coming up your driveway at night and POOFFFFF…all that is left of them is their shadow burned into the pavement. It’s kind of rough on the squirrels though.

Seriously, I like having an alarm system when I am living in a house. I am more concerned about my personal safety than about my stuff. An alarm going off will alert me that something may be happening.

My mom had one at her old house for many years (as well as motion sensing lights). We also had a dog (which is a great supplement to an alarm system). We did not have too many false alarms over the years (mainly because we turned off the motion sensor when we were not there). I don’t know what the police response time was…generally we were present when the thing went off accidentally and were able to tell the security company it was a false alarm. I think it was worth the expense for the peace of mind.

TaraK wrote >>

When we’re there at night, I’m not too concerned. I mean, I guess I would be even less concerned with a system, but it’s not really necessary.

ok so what if someone were to do the ole towel punch to a glass pane in a door or use a scissor car jack to a door jamb which is fairly quiet, your not going to hear it while your asleep. next thing you know they are waking you up in bed and it might not be pleasant… not trying to scare you im just trying to help you understand wow these things can go down. the scissor factory car jack method is widely used and can take about 25 seconds to pop the door open. i would think if an alarm were to go off they would run and also alert YOU that someone has entered your house…. maybe im just paranoid, maybe ive always lived in transitional areas my entire life, i dont know but i will be damned if im “caught slipping” if you know what i mean. i really dont see the hassle of having an alarm system like some of these other folks on here. i take security very seriously and would hope that others would too.

rus
    rus
    Participant

CDS sherman wrote >>
    i take security very seriously and would hope that others would too.

Well, I’d expect the Warden to like alarm systems ;-)

Seriously, security ( along with fire and medical emergencies ) are something everyone can prepare for. There’s different methods, of course, and even if you like alarms a monthly monitoring fee isn’t for everyone.

Not to mention it’s prudent to have a plan for when the alarm goes off.

TaraK
    Participant

CDS sherman wrote >>

TaraK wrote >>

When we’re there at night, I’m not too concerned. I mean, I guess I would be even less concerned with a system, but it’s not really necessary.

ok so what if someone were to do the ole towel punch to a glass pane in a door or use a scissor car jack to a door jamb which is fairly quiet, your not going to hear it while your asleep. next thing you know they are waking you up in bed and it might not be pleasant… not trying to scare you im just trying to help you understand wow these things can go down. the scissor factory car jack method is widely used and can take about 25 seconds to pop the door open. i would think if an alarm were to go off they would run and also alert YOU that someone has entered your house…. maybe im just paranoid, maybe ive always lived in transitional areas my entire life, i dont know but i will be damned if im “caught slipping” if you know what i mean. i really dont see the hassle of having an alarm system like some of these other folks on here. i take security very seriously and would hope that others would too.

You should help write commercials for Brinks.

Obviously safety does matter to me, otherwise I wouldn’t have started the thread. The cost is a concern, though. I mean, I can afford a monthly fee, but I generally hate signing on to any monthly bill, especially since most of these companies require a THREE YEAR contract.

Here’s our security, thus far:

1. When we moved in, we bought a door bar for the back door.
    2. We bought alarms for both downstairs doors that you install yourself. (Good idea!) But they can’t be installed on our doors b/c the doors sit too far back inside the door frame and won’t line up. So I returned them.
    3. We may or may not have some bootlegged landscape-oriented, brand-displaying propaganda intended to deter people who are deterred by systems.
    4. We actually have a bolt lock on our bedroom door. The door knob latch was broken and, rather than replace the knob, my S.O. put a bolt on there. Whatever.
    5. Also — my father is a gunsmith, and I cannot escape my Kentucky roots. (Bonus: Makes dad happy.)
    6. We have common sense. Front & back lights on, door & windows locked. And our windows have really good locks and are new.

And we’re not paranoid by any means. We know we live in a rapidly gentrifying area; we’ve never lived in a suburb. I’m not generally afraid of much, but, as I said, I worry about our place when we’re gone over holidays.

The thoughts of that monthly bill just irk me. It feels like a trap. (Also, I really hate those commercials that always show a white woman baking flippin’ cookies with her cherubic child when some hoodie-clad man busts down a door in broad daylight. Men can be robbed, ugly people can be robbed, people of color can be robbed. Even poor people can be robbed.)

Does anyone have any advice on installing a flood light on the side of a rented house?

And if you know how to find my address from my CU account, please tell me now so I can delete this.

derm
    derm
    Participant

I do not have a service for home security. My primary worry is someone breaking in at night when my family is home. Besides a safe neighborhood, good nieghbors that I know, motion sensors on my lights front and back and a fairly decent home arsenal I have found good peace of mind using these:

http://www.taylorbrothersdoorlock.com/

I am thinking of adding some front and rear glassbreak sensors, but it would be next to impossible to get my doors open quiety with on of these on it.

alison

I know what you mean about the trapped/committment feeling — I felt the same way. But I have the same kind of committment with the cellphone, so it’s not really that big a deal.

I got what I felt was a great deal from Brinks/Broadview. With a two year contract, three door sensors (one on a window), three broken glass sensors, backup in case of power failure and two security codes — one for me and one from the friends who periodically take care of my cats when I’m gone — all for $39 a month (with automatic payment). The two times I’ve set it off by accident, they had called me within a minute.

I don’t rely on the security system completely, but when I hear a funny noise in the middle of the night, my first thought is now that it’s something the cats are up to.

Mercurius
    Participant

Need to get an alarm installed but don’t want monitoring because I don’t have a phone conection. I’d like to get something hard wired with the main panel in the basement and key fobs to arm and disarm it. If you install it yourself, what brands would people suggest?

Motorist
    Participant

GE Simon

This was a system recommended to me by a couple people, I may do it in my next place instead of Brinks. You can buy a broadband dialer if you decide at some point that you want monitoring.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Anyone have experience with this brand/company…

http://www.frontpointsecurity.com/

Opinions appreciated.

Antonio

Depends on how much you want to spend.

A simple alarm sign that you can buy online for less than 10 bucks that looks official will scare a lot of would be thieves, beware of the dog, scares even more away.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZTGCVK/ref=asc_df_B002ZTGCVK1437065?smid=A2PNE2EPZCBRNN&tag=pgmp-12-95-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B002ZTGCVK

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I had a brinks sign. It didn’t stop last weeks burglary. I like the idea of the dog sign though, esp on the fence on the alley. Probably go ahead with some carpet tack on the top of the fence there too.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    I had a brinks sign. It didn’t stop last weeks burglary. I like the idea of the dog sign though, esp on the fence on the alley. Probably go ahead with some carpet tack on the top of the fence there too.

how much shit did they rob you of? sucks to hear that.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

got everything back except an old iphone i was using as an ipod and by man cave tv, 42″ plasma broke.

they busted the guys..posted here about it.

OTE Berkeley between Bryden and Main?

Antonio

Snarf wrote >>

If you’re going to use a dog sign,, you are actaully going to need for it to look like you have a dog as well. Just remberer to move them when you’re cutting the lawn.

http://www.soimmature.com/sub_pages/all_thumb_subs/page_bagocrap.html

I also used a portable motion detector in my home, this was a good brand that I never had any problems with.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100396520&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-3-_-100396728-_-100396520-_-N&locStoreNum=3811#BVRRWidgetID

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.