Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Home Security Systems

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Home Security Systems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

TaraK
    Participant

We’ve been considering this since we moved and I’d like to hear from some others. They seem pretty common in Columbus.

Do you have a security system? If so, how much did it cost to install? The monthly fee? What does it include (as in, # of windows/doors)? What company?

Do you think it’s worth the cost?

And if you don’t?

CDS sherman

ADT has been super so far. the building had the equipment already here and all of my system additions i have done myself since im a bit handy. in fact radio shack sells all the door and motion sensors. i think i must pay 30 a month but i have a phone line. that cost 22 a month. speaking of which i need to pay that bill.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

I like SDG, http://www.sdgsecurity.com/, local company, headquartered right here on Livingston Avenue. The owners have 50 yrs combined in he security buisness. You know if you alarm rings that it’s going to someone who’s local not some call center in San Antonio, not that there’s anything wrong with that…

CDS sherman

Porky wrote >>
    I like SDG, http://www.sdgsecurity.com/, local company, headquartered right here on Livingston Avenue. The owners have 50 yrs combined in he security buisness. You know if you alarm rings that it’s going to someone who’s local not some call center in San Antonio, not that there’s anything wrong with that…

from the time my alarm sounds ADT has called my cell and the house in about 45 seconds. i prefer ADT because they use tyco products. tyco are some of the best in the industry in my opinion. very easy to use,test and install. SDG might also use tyco and im sure they are a fine company.

TaraK
    Participant

Porky wrote >>

What were the installation costs? Monthly costs? Does it include window sensors, door sensors?

Also — do pets set off the motion sensors?

rus
    rus
    Participant

I’m against home security systems, because I think they’re a racket and also because I think they cause the homeowner to be too complacent. Studies have shown that motion detector lights are very effective at night and also that basic security procedures – cutting bushes back from the house, always locking doors and windows, and simply being vigilant – are all common sense approaches which work well. People also report that having a dog is a great deterrent, but my cats won’t let me do that. I assume you know about guns.

Anyone I’ve ever known who’s had a security alarm has seemed like a hostage to the alarm, rushing to disable it when they come home, responding to false alarms on a pretty regular basis, and so on. The one friend who had a break in didn’t find the alarm very helpful since the company (the big one) never called the police or called her at work. The guy got away with some pretty valuable stuff, even though the alarm was going off. Apparently a neighbor called out to him while he was in the process of burgling the place and he just said he was working there and had gotten the code wrong.

In regard to these alarms I have the same policy I do with just about everything else, which is to not expect strangers to care more about my safety, health or other priorities than I do.

rus
    rus
    Participant

sixyfivepercentwater wrote >>

In regard to these alarms I have the same policy I do with just about everything else, which is to not expect strangers to care more about my safety, health or other priorities than I do.

Well said.

Cookie

rus wrote >>

Well said.

I assume that’s why we pay people to work for alarm companies, police departments, fire departments, and hospitals.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Well said.

I assume that’s why we pay people to work for alarm companies, police departments, fire departments, and hospitals.

That’s the best part of being a cynic. When the unexpected happens it’s a pleasant surprise.

CDS sherman

i think its one of the most valuable tools i have to keep me safe at night while im sleeping. cant be very vigilant with my eyes closed…..

honavery

The place I’m renting had one when I moved in (it’s included in my rent). I’d never had one before then (moved in March). I thought it was kind of overkill, but I have come to appreciate the peace of mind. I’m vigilant about locking and everything else also, and I haven’t had a false yet (knock on wood). It’s a cellular system (doesn’t use a land line), but I don’t know much about it otherwise. I’ll have to get back to you about the brand.

Motorist
    Participant

I have Brinks at my place. At the time, I wanted something installed immediately so I went with them. If I were to do it again, I would install my own system. You pay more for the equipment upfront but a lot less for monitoring. I figured out that I would save money in less than two years.

I won’t get too much into SFPWs comments (there’s a whole thread about that somewhere) but I will say that my system provides a lot of peace of mind. The only problems I’ve had were in the daytime so motion sensor lights didn’t do too much to deter the crackheads.

I used to sell home security systems. Before you purchase a system, you need to ask yourself what you are looking to get out of it. If you want protection from burglary, just purchase a security system yard sign. Common burglars are lazy, so if here is even a slim chance they will get caught, they will leave your house alone. A yard sign along with common sense (making sure your doors and windows are locked, making sure valuable can not be seen from the street, etc) will save you money in the long run.

If you want piece of mind about break-ins, a home security system is not a magic bullet. First, you can by a device online for $20 that will circumnavigate the monitoring (in other words the monitoring station won’t get a code that your alarm has been tripped) and studies show that when home alarm sirens go off, neighbors called the police in only 2 out of every 10 incidents.

So while I would not recommend purchasing a home security system for security, I would recommend it for health and medical reasons. First, most systems come with a monitored smoke detector, and some even have monitored carbon monoxide detectors now. Second, if you have some in our home who is disabled, elderly, or has a medical condition, most systems will also come with a medic alert function, a button or pendent that can be purchased to summon a medic without having to call 911.

Check with some of the bigger companies such as Brinks, ADT, or Guardian Protection, they usually offer a standard install package (keypad, siren, two devices, and yard sign) for free if you sign a long term monitoring contract. Personally, I would recommend Guardian Protection.

TaraK
    Participant

I assume you know about guns.

I’m not sure why I loved that so much.

We take a lot of precautions and I generally don’t “worry,” but going out of town is another issue. When we’re there at night, I’m not too concerned. I mean, I guess I would be even less concerned with a system, but it’s not really necessary.

We go out of town for several days at a time, though. We have nice neighbors, but they’re not responsible for my home.

On the subject of motion lights, I’d like to put a light of some kind on the side of our place. Getting it hardwired and installed isn’t an option, though, since we rent. It’s a brick duplex. I’d love some DIY options that don’t require running an extension cord out the window. Otherwise, the front and back are pretty well lit, but the side of our house has a very long, very dark alley/side space.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION