Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview - Hoggy's Closes All Stores

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview – Hoggy's Closes All Stores

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 399 total)
  • Author
    Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Walker said:
    I wouldn’t group an entire neighborhood based off the complaints of select individuals.

Perhaps it’s an exaggeration, but putting notes on people’s cars to not park in a spot they are legally entitled to park is over the top. Perhaps to satisfy the unrealistic demands of the residents WL should buy and tear down a few of the homes and apartments and build a large surface parking lot. Seems like that would solve the issue.

leftovers

Just looking at this thread I think most people are saying they would like to look into parking permits and hope WL looks into making a deal to use one of the many adjacent parking lots which are vacant at night. Those seem reasonable suggestions.

I think your idea to tear down some buildings to build a parking lot seems rather drastic, but would probably be an excellent sound bite for ABC 6. ;)

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

joshlapp said:
    Perhaps it’s an exaggeration, but putting notes on people’s cars to not park in a spot they are legally entitled to park is over the top. Perhaps to satisfy the unrealistic demands of the residents WL should buy and tear down a few of the homes and apartments and build a large surface parking lot. Seems like that would solve the issue.

While I agree that leaving a note on a car is over the top, it is a bit jarring to read a city planner suggest that the area needs more surface parking. How about we all just drive less? The thoughtful solution lies somewhere between more folks carpooling, walking or using public transit (COTA serves 5xNW very very well) and WL providing parking (most likely by repurposing one of the many existing, underused lots) for folks that don’t want to use those options. That would be a win for everyone.

It avoids the permit process and still allows WL customers overflow street parking when there is a large event.

WL investing in the building and community is a good thing, but tearing down housing to create surface parking seems as over the top as putting notes on cars.

For the curious, COTA 5, 3, 84 and 82 each stop within a minute’s walk of WL.

leftovers

Sadly, the 84 and 82 have a last call around 8:30pm so better get your drink on. ;)

Get a LIFE

Public street parking is exactly that PUBLIC. Sorry, but just because you live on the street does not entitle you to the public road in front of your house. The taxes of all the city paid for that section of road you call your parking place. It’s not yours folks. It is a public parking place.

I live on Grandview Ave between 5th and King Ave. Sixth Ave has always been a challenging street to find a parking place both east and west of Grandview Ave. Even before the Lizard opened, it was lined with cars. Grandview Ave has not been filled all the way to King Ave so far.

The new establishment invested in the area and is a good addition to the scene. It would be bad to send a message of being unfriendly to businesses. Change isn’t bad folks. Putting up hand-painted signs are just silly. The boiled down version of this is a few people being upset by not being able to park in the same spot they are accustomed.

Get a life.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

leftovers said:
    Just looking at this thread I think most people are saying they would like to look into parking permits and hope WL looks into making a deal to use one of the many adjacent parking lots which are vacant at night. Those seem reasonable suggestions.

I think your idea to tear down some buildings to build a parking lot seems rather drastic, but would probably be an excellent sound bite for ABC 6. ;)

JaredThompson said:
    While I agree that notes on cars is over the top, it is a bit jarring to read a city planner suggestion that the area needs more surface parking. How about we all just drive less? The thoughtful solution lies somewhere between more folks carpooling, walking or use public transit (COTA serves 5xNW very very well) and WL providing parking (most likely by repurposing one of the many existing, underused lots) for folks that don’t want to use those options. That would be a win for everyone.

For anyone curious, COTA 5, 3, 84 and 82 each stop within a minute’s walk of WL.

Sorry I forgot to put my comment in sarcasm font. It just shocks me to read comments like this:

buckette13 said:Sweat says she rushes home after work hoping to grab a spot before they’re all taken but usually ends up parking far away from home.

I live the heart of the Short North, with no parking pass or on street parking and rarely park more that one or two blocks away from my apartment. Many people on this board and in the article make it sound as if the WL is like an office tower was plopped down in the middle of a residential neighborhood. The whole thing seems quite overblown.

I’m sure parking is more inconvenient than in the past but walking an extra block is not the end of the world like it is being made out to be. I can’t wait to see the fuss when the Giant Eagle is torn down and replaced with a large mixed use development. I’ll get the tissues ready.

rus
    rus
    Participant

JaredThompson said:
    How about we all just drive less?

Based on this thread lots of people don’t want to.

leftovers

@joshlapp

I think I added my “;)”…you don’t think ABC 6 wanted the part about the notes for a reason?

ToddAnders
    Blocked

Awww, Walker, you are almost apart of the main stream media :) Congrats?

Jared, I guess it would be a blast to live near you.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

leftovers said:
    @joshlapp

I think I added my “;)”…you don’t think ABC 6 wanted the part about the notes for a reason?

I guess I need to add my phone number to my profile in case Channel 6 needs to quote me. Hell, I’m going to start sending them every light rail thread until we get a story. (Hear that @bman?)

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

ToddAnders said:
    Jared, I guess it would be a blast to live near you.

It’s definitely interesting having a popular spot so close to home. I loved having Bodega, St. James and Skullys nearby plus the rest of the SN when I lived in New Village. And when I lived in Hermosa Beach, CA, I was barely a nine iron from some of the best beach bars in the US. Even my German Village place before that had awesomely close access to Easy Street. I’ve been lucky enough to have lived in some great places.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ToddAnders said:
    Awww, Walker, you are almost apart of the main stream media :) Congrats?

That’s not what I meant. ;)

ToddAnders
    Blocked

So, Jared, the difference is?

I can enjoy my neighborhood, but outsiders can’t?

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

ToddAnders said:
    So, Jared, the difference is?

I can enjoy my neighborhood, but outsiders can’t?

To quote Walker, “that’s not what I meant. ;)”

buckette13

Saw ABC6 filming outside yesterday…

COLUMBUS (Tara Morgan) — People who live near a new Grandview area restaurant are taking action to solve parking problems. Ever since the Winking Lizard opened in late February at 5th Avenue and Grandview, neighbors say parking has been tricky. “I end up having to park two blocks down or a couple streets over and then walk around not a huge problem but it hasn’t been like that till pretty recently,” said Adam Lehman.

Read More at: http://www.abc6onyourside.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wsyx_parking-problems-mounting-near-new-grandview-area-restaurant-bar-23603.shtml

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 399 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE