Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview - Hoggy's Closes All Stores

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview – Hoggy's Closes All Stores

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 399 total)
  • Author

ricospaz
    Participant

rus said:
    So make 6th permit only with aggressive towing. WL makes a deal with one of the local businesses for overflow parking and / or people learn to park a few blocks away and walk.

Problem?

+1 I’m with you on that.

billbix

ricospaz said:
    +1 I’m with you on that.

+2 I don’t understand why anyone, especially residents, would be against this.

Anti

There seems to be three main complaints, one is that the parking is now bad, two is that there are belligerent drunks in the immediate neighborhood, and three is that Winking Lizard isn’t a particularly interesting place. (That depends on your preference, but its concept is closer to Applebee’s than say Till.)

When I first posted I was under the impression that Park Street West was happening out there, which led to my original comments about having one’s place being ruined. Obviously that will destroy (or drastically alter the character) of a neighborhood, but from many posts it seems that it’s not nearly as “bad” (again depending on your tastes) as Park Street.

The fact that Winking Lizard is a generalized Applebee’s is disappointing. We already have these types of places in abundance in Columbus… start at the Statehouse, pick a direction, start traveling and you will find one before you hit 270. Grandview (5xNW whatever!) has some great dining options, in my opinion that’s the primary reason to even go out there. Something at least as interesting as BBQ to add to the overall neighborhood’s collection would’ve been nice. Hell, even a more unique chain a la Piada would’ve been a better alternative.

For the parking, an immediate suggestion would be to get a tow truck company’s number and watch the area like a hawk. Once they realize that there is blood in the water out there they are vicious. I know that it doesn’t necessarily help with the legally parked cars and the residents’ parking, but it certainly makes one feel better right!?

reggiano1
    Participant

SSBucks said:
    Now wait a minute. Didn’t you just say that you walk past WL to go to MTM? MTM is just as much a chain as WL. Not to mention they also show sports there. Hypocrisy kills any credibility…

Matt the millers has 3 locations. 2 in Columbus and one that just opened in Indiana. This would be a local place and one of the original locations in most opinions. Expansion locations as they get in the double digits is when you start having that “chain” feel. But that’s my opinion. And MTM doesn’t build their brand as a sports bar nor do they actively promote it as such. And I do go there to watch sports. Because its not like WL

GCrites80s
    Participant

Pretty much every place with a liquor license has sports playing on TV in some capacity nowadays.

Anonymous
    Inactive

St. James, Surly Girl and Mouton are all good refuges from people yelling at the Teevee.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

leftovers

JaredThompson said:
    Tuesday at 6th and Grandview: Good luck seeing around these corners…

All of those cars within 20ft of the intersection are risking a $50 ticket. They probably don’t know it because the no parking signs aren’t up yet (they are on the way). The cops don’t need a sign to give a ticket though. These signs are all over VV and IV. It will also be nice when they put in the sidewalks.

I saw the ticket writers a couple of times last weekend.

susank

I was pretty surprised at the lack of sidewalks. I know that they have been slowly putting them in around Columbus to become ADA compliant. I would hate to be wheelchair bound around there. I guess this is a silver lining in that by getting noticed other improvements may also be sped up.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Anti said:
    For the parking, an immediate suggestion would be to get a tow truck company’s number and watch the area like a hawk. Once they realize that there is blood in the water out there they are vicious. I know that it doesn’t necessarily help with the legally parked cars and the residents’ parking, but it certainly makes one feel better right!?

Shamrock is good for that. They put the “screw” in screwed for sure.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

reggiano1 said:
    Matt the millers has 3 locations. 2 in Columbus and one that just opened in Indiana. This would be a local place and one of the original locations in most opinions. Expansion locations as they get in the double digits is when you start having that “chain” feel. But that’s my opinion. And MTM doesn’t build their brand as a sports bar nor do they actively promote it as such. And I do go there to watch sports. Because its not like WL

I’d stick to making parking the main issue here. The Grandview/5xNW area has no shortage of chain stores/restaurants, from Giant Eagle, CVS and Walgreens, to Panera Bread, Subway, Starbucks, and Chipotle, so there’s no case to stand on there. For what its worth, Winking Lizard is still just a regional chain based out of Cleveland. They aren’t yet as ubiquitous and as bland as Applebee’s has become.

Again, if Winking Lizard had addressed parking in the beginning, this thread wouldn’t have been necessary. They didn’t, and so residents are rightfully complaining about how their quality of life has been negatively affected by the location and its patrons. Patrons who could care less about whether the old couple with walkers or the lady who is eight months pregnant has to drive around the block to find a spot and then walk back with five bags of groceries. The point is, these people probably chose the area because parking was not a concern. But now they are competing for parking with Joe and his buddies who want to get plastered while watching the game. The problem isn’t even with Joe and his buddies so long as they aren’t urinating in someone’s yard and driving drunk. The problem is parking, maintaining reasonable, adequate parking for residents, and accommodating WL patrons.

leftovers

I talked to one of the floor managers at WL and they gave the impression that it was assumed more people would be walking to WL from the Grandview strip and surrounding area. Many of the people I talked to were from the area so maybe in the future? I am fairly certain no one planned on this and I would hope they are also looking into solutions. There have also been a string of drinking holidays and events since it opened, not to mention the shiny new place factor.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

phaedrus said:
    Dearest 5xnw,
    Why you so NIMBY?

-Clintonville

Nailed it.

rus
    rus
    Participant

leftovers said:
    it was assumed more people would be walking to WL

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I would think they’d probably get some walking customers in the summer. Not so much in the snow.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 399 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: