Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview - Hoggy's Closes All Stores

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview – Hoggy's Closes All Stores

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 399 total)
  • Author
    Jared
    Jared
    Participant

buckette13 said:
    If we get parking permits then residential parking will be even easier than before.

I’m not convinced that permit parking would be “easier than before” for anyone. Maybe permits would help some residents, but not our visitors and certainly not for WL’s customers. Despite some of the comments here, no one in 5xNW is being NIMBY. We like having a new place to watch a game and grab a beer. We just don’t like that so many of their customers choose to drive and park in a residential area (instead of walk, carpool or use mass transit). I’d like to see WL rent a partking lot like Brazenhead, St. James, King Ave 5 provides for their customers. That seems the like a good compromise. A designated WL parking lot allows WL to have overflow street parking when they need it without squeezing the neighbors as frequently, or imposing a tax on anyone.

And then again, if the parking problem is only a passing phase, I’m cool with waiting it out.

@VivVillage Guy – comparing a family restaurant (albeit a fun one) to a sports bar seems like a stretch.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

reggiano1 said:
    And once the “newness” wears off (which I really hope it does, but doubt it will)- There is baseball season which will have it’s share of fans looking for a “sports bar” and then you will have the beloved Buckeye football season.

To be fair, baseball season shouldn’t be too bad. Mostly just Reds/Indians/(clippers) fans looking for a place to have a few beers and watch the game. Of course, there are few places to escape the standard OSU nonsense in Columbus on game days. I feel for you on the parking, but I’m “optimistic” that it will get better. I’ve been to several WLs, and none of them have been as slammed as this one is. I have to imagine its just the place’s novelty + OSU’s run in the NCAA tournament causing a lot of the current trouble. Hang in there!

Sports Bars get a bad rap. At least WL is fighting the good fight WRT a very nice beer selection.

buckeye54
    Participant

reggiano1 said:
    And once the “newness” wears off (which I really hope it does, but doubt it will)- There is baseball season which will have it’s share of fans looking for a “sports bar” and then you will have the beloved Buckeye football season. it will all start over again. The patio will keep this place packed when the sports aren’t driving people there.

For the record, I love to drink good beer and appreciate a good selection of it. I wish I could enjoy the WL but I can’t because of the way it has changed my ability to come and go from my house. I will walk past the WL and go to MTM every single time.

My solution for enjoying a summer patio and beer this year: I installed a Kegerator in my 2nd refrigerator. It will have 2 local craft beers on tap at all times- buckette13 and Jared, I will invite you over so you don’t have to lose your parking spots either. There is room on my spacious patio for your friends as long as no one minds a dog or two. LOL

Baseball season is no comparison to potentially the largest sporting event behind the superbowl in the US. It just so happens that this event is an all day affair during the week and weekends that lasts over a period of weeks. Yes I’m sure OSU and the NFL will create business for the WL as well as other bars in grandview during the fall on saturdays and sundays. My point is that grand openings for a business that apparently has a lot of people excited about it are never a good indicator of the kind of traffic the location is going to get a year or two from now.

Again,grandview is popular for its fairly walkable neighborhoods which generally mean being able to walk to stores, restaurants, and bars. Unfortunately, walkable neighborhoods that are popular often have issues with parking. In my opinion,Grandview doesn’t come close to the amount of population or density to support all of its businesses without business from people from outside of the town. Unfortunately those people generally take cars to get to grandview. It’s a catch 22. Like I mentioned earlier, the Wl is replacing a restaurant called hoggys(which apparently didn’t do well hence the little traffic and the closing) across from a grocery store,in close proximity to other stores,bars ,and restaurants,next to strip plazas, next to a busy road. Seems a little silly to not think that parking could potentially be an issue when you moved in. This comes from someone who used to live in grandview over 5 years ago and sometimes had to park 3 or 4 blocks from my apartment. I think the anger should be as much with grandviews zoning if the residents feel that the area can’t handle a business of that size.

That being said, I hope WL does well but I also hope that grandview implements either some sort of parking restrictions,permits, etc. or at the very least WL rents parking from somewhere else at least for weekends or events like march madness.

GCrites80s
    Participant

WL is in the City of Columbus.

reggiano1
    Participant

buckeye54 said:
    Baseball season is no comparison to potentially the largest sporting event behind the superbowl in the US. It just so happens that this event is an all day affair during the week and weekends that lasts over a period of weeks. Yes I’m sure OSU and the NFL will create business for the WL as well as other bars in grandview during the fall on saturdays and sundays. My point is that grand openings for a business that apparently has a lot of people excited about it are never a good indicator of the kind of traffic the location is going to get a year or two from now.

Again,grandview is popular for its fairly walkable neighborhoods which generally mean being able to walk to stores, restaurants, and bars. Unfortunately, walkable neighborhoods that are popular often have issues with parking. In my opinion,Grandview doesn’t come close to the amount of population or density to support all of its businesses without business from people from outside of the town. Unfortunately those people generally take cars to get to grandview. It’s a catch 22. Like I mentioned earlier, the Wl is replacing a restaurant called hoggys(which apparently didn’t do well hence the little traffic and the closing) across from a grocery store,in close proximity to other stores,bars ,and restaurants,next to strip plazas, next to a busy road. Seems a little silly to not think that parking could potentially be an issue when you moved in. This comes from someone who used to live in grandview over 5 years ago and sometimes had to park 3 or 4 blocks from my apartment. I think the anger should be as much with grandviews zoning if the residents feel that the area can’t handle a business of that size.

That being said, I hope WL does well but I also hope that grandview implements either some sort of parking restrictions,permits, etc. or at the very least WL rents parking from somewhere else at least for weekends or events like march madness.

As I said before, Hoggy’s was reasonably busy when I bought my place (10 years ago)and there was not an issue with overflow parking. It was not a destination for gratuitous drinking and all day sports watching. It flourished when it had a quality product. Unfortunately, it lost that edge and the appeal.

It is not “silly” to assume that a flourishing neighborhood with existing successful business that accommodate patrons without imposing on the residents will eventually have parking issues. The appeal of the Grandview area is that it was not comprised of chains and generic suburban sports bars. I love being able to walk to a local restaurant/bar or shop and prefer to do so. I am lucky that I have that option. However, the introduction of WL to my neighborhood leaves me without that option- I am forced to go somewhere within walking distance because I can’t leave my house for I won’t have a parking spot when I return.

WL is not in part of Grandview – I would be surprised if they would allow this type of place within their city limits.

Columbus is responsible for letting WL have this space and that is who we have to go to in order to get permit parking instated, but it still has to go through an approval process. I fear our efforts will be stifled by deep pockets or bureaucratic apathy (or both). But, I am pretty confident that the traffic will not die down (and if it does, it is only temporary since there will always be some sports event to draw a crowd there). So, the residents will go through the process and give it a shot. We may not be successful, but at least we will know we tried.

SSBucks
    Participant

reggiano1 said:
    The appeal of the Grandview area is that it was not comprised of chains and generic suburban sports bars. I love being able to walk to a local restaurant/bar or shop and prefer to do so.

Now wait a minute. Didn’t you just say that you walk past WL to go to MTM? MTM is just as much a chain as WL. Not to mention they also show sports there. Hypocrisy kills any credibility…

buckeye54
    Participant

I’m not sure

reggiano1 said:
    As I said before, Hoggy’s was reasonably busy when I bought my place (10 years ago)and there was not an issue with overflow parking. It was not a destination for gratuitous drinking and all day sports watching. It flourished when it had a quality product. Unfortunately, it lost that edge and the appeal.

It is not “silly” to assume that a flourishing neighborhood with existing successful business that accommodate patrons without imposing on the residents will eventually have parking issues. The appeal of the Grandview area is that it was not comprised of chains and generic suburban sports bars. I love being able to walk to a local restaurant/bar or shop and prefer to do so. I am lucky that I have that option. However, the introduction of WL to my neighborhood leaves me without that option- I am forced to go somewhere within walking distance because I can’t leave my house for I won’t have a parking spot when I return.

WL is not in part of Grandview – I would be surprised if they would allow this type of place within their city limits.

Columbus is responsible for letting WL have this space and that is who we have to go to in order to get permit parking instated, but it still has to go through an approval process. I fear our efforts will be stifled by deep pockets or bureaucratic apathy (or both). But, I am pretty confident that the traffic will not die down (and if it does, it is only temporary since there will always be some sports event to draw a crowd there). So, the residents will go through the process and give it a shot. We may not be successful, but at least we will know we tried.

When I lived in grandview, long before WL, I had issues with parking almost every weekend and there were plenty of places that people partook in gratuitous drinking. Although, this may now be more of an issue for this specific location it certainly wasn’t rare for me when I lived a few blocks away from grandview avenue.

You understand it’s very funny to call Winking lizard a generic chain suburban sports bar but be perfectly fine with hoggys which was a generic chain suburban bbq place. Off the top of my head I can name around 10-12 chain restaurants that are within a mile or two of that location. Yes some of them I’m sure are in grandview proper.

The comment about walking isn’t clear to me. You state that grandview’s appeal is being able to walk to restaurants and then you state WL doesn’t allow you that option for fear that your spot will be taken when you get back. I’m assuming you meant the option to drive to other places.

Yes, I do find it slightly silly to live somewhere with no dedicated parking spot near a large big box grocer,dozens of restaurants,bars,stores,near strip plazas,near a congested road,in an area that is a fairly popular spot for nightlife which its businesses are supported in least in part if not by the majority by people outside of a town of 6,500 and not realize that parking could potentially be a concern or at the very least your spot may be taken when you leave.

I do think it will calm down as time goes on based on grand opening,march madness, and st pattys day. St. patty’s day is always a cluster around grandview which I’m sure hasn’t helped things as well.

ricospaz
    Participant

I can’t wait until the patio opens! good traffic watching.

rus
    rus
    Participant

buckeye54 said:
    The comment about walking isn’t clear to me. You state that grandview’s appeal is being able to walk to restaurants and then you state WL doesn’t allow to walk to places for fear that your spot will be taken when you get back.

Could have written it better, but it read like now they must walk to some location nearby rather than drive some place or walk for fear of losing a parking space. The option that is being infringed isn’t walking, it’s driving.

Patch
    Participant

reggiano1 said:

I think you already had your chance, you probably should have gone to the BZA meeting to voice your concerns.

http://bzs.columbus.gov/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=56225

Maybe e-mail/call the underlying LL? his contact info (and address) are in the application:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CEcQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbzs.columbus.gov%2FWorkArea%2FDownloadAsset.aspx%3Fid%3D54172&ei=RPdRUZrAGIfrygG1_IGYAQ&usg=AFQjCNGt8lQX4nRhfmFU67_yb6uro2S47w&bvm=bv.44342787,d.aWc

(I’m sure he is on facebook as well…)

buckeye54
    Participant

rus said:
    Could have written it better, but it read like now they must walk to some location nearby rather than drive some place or walk for fear of losing a parking space. The option that is being infringed isn’t walking, it’s driving.

Right, thats what I assumed. Just wasn’t quite clear based on how it was worded.That makes more sense.

rus
    rus
    Participant

buckeye54 said:
    Right, thats what I assumed. Just wasn’t quite clear based on how it was worded.That makes more sense.

Completely understandable as well. When I lived in VV I hated comfest for the same reason ( well, among others ).

billbix

Grandview seems to have changed since I used to hang out there. We used to eat at a nice place called Gibby’s and then head over to Byrnes. I seem to recall having no problems parking right on 3rd just past a garage, maybe that is permit now too.

I think the permit issue will solve the problems with residents. They give you guest passes also. That means I’m gonna have to befriend one of you 6th Streeters so I have a place to park next time I go to the Lizard. ;)

ricospaz
    Participant

billbix said:
    Grandview seems to have changed since I used to hang out there. We used to eat at a nice place called Gibby’s and then head over to Byrnes. I seem to recall having no problems parking right on 3rd just past a garage, maybe that is permit now too.

I think the permit issue will solve the problems with residents. They give you guest passes also. That means I’m gonna have to befriend one of you 6th Streeters so I have a place to park next time I go to the Lizard. ;)

Funny you mention Gibbys, it’s now Third and Hollywood, with cars often backed out onto the street waiting for valet parking (due to minimal parking).. There’s plenty of parking if people are willing to walk a couple blocks. on sidewalks.

rus
    rus
    Participant

ricospaz said:
    Funny you mention Gibbys, it’s now Third and Hollywood, with cars often backed out onto the street waiting for valet parking (due to minimal parking).. There’s plenty of parking if people are willing to walk a couple blocks. on sidewalks.

So make 6th permit only with aggressive towing. WL makes a deal with one of the local businesses for overflow parking and / or people learn to park a few blocks away and walk.

Problem?

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 399 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: