Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview - Hoggy's Closes All Stores

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview – Hoggy's Closes All Stores

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 399 total)
  • Author

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Bartenders are responsible for the actions of whom they serve

To what end?

bayrea
    Participant

I can’t believe the amount of hate a small chain from Cleveland is getting. WL is just a suburban bar with a good beer list and halfway descent food. You would think the cast of The Jersey Shore opened up a bar in GV by reading this.

photo southpark.jpg

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

musicfan2 said:
    I am thinking the residents are going to take a stand against this place. Maybe WL pays for the parking permits?

This is a legitimate compromise. Either secure designated parking for your patrons by working out deals with neighboring businesses, or pay the quarterly registration fees for nearby residents to secure their own spaces. I’m guessing most businesses would just prefer to do the former and be done with it.

mrmann

Under the same reasoning, should Bodega be paying for the parking permits of the houses behind it?

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

bayrea said:
    I can’t believe the amount of hate a small chain from Cleveland is getting. WL is just a suburban bar with a good beer list and halfway descent food. You would think the cast of The Jersey Shore opened up a bar in GV by reading this.

I personally like Winking Lizard regardless of its status as a regional chain, but it’s clear to me that the new Grandview/5th Ave location missed the boat on some key things. Namely, doing their homework on the nature of the community beforehand, and locking down all the nuisance factors in order to keep nearby residents off their case.

This might not even be something WL ownership has ever really had to deal with before, seeing as how all of the other locations I know of from here to Cleveland are situated in commercial zones well removed from housing of any kind, so they may not have even thought twice about it. The Bethel Rd. location here in Columbus for example sits along a four-lane stretch that no one will ever mistake for a quiet neighborhood. Also, The WLs that I have frequented in the Akron area are set up squarely in the middle of destination commercial zones.

Grandview, however, is a different story. It isn’t a retail mecca or an off-campus, 24-hour frat party zone like you’ll generally find east of High Street in the University District, but a genuinely laid back and quiet neighborhood with a casual commercial stretch that carries a similar, low-key vibe (compared to, say, the Short North). And I think this is the problem. WL clashes with this setting and is reminding many residents why they moved to the Grandview/5xNW area in the first place; it reminds them of the loud noise/drunken behavior/parking issues that they were trying to escape from.

Also consider this: Had WL opted to locate along High St. in the University District, or somewhere on Olentangy River Rd., this thread wouldn’t even exist. The critique thus shouldn’t necessarily be about WL itself, but its questionable location choice in this instance, its impact on residents, and what can be done to mitigate the conflict in what will presumably be a long term relationship between vested residents and WL.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

mrmann said:
    Under the same reasoning, should Bodega be paying for the parking permits of the houses behind it?

Have residents complained about Bodega patrons taking their on-street parking spots?

buckette13

@NEOBuckeye

I think you may not have a real grasp of the situation. Have you been to this location and actually hung out on 6th at night? I practically live 1/5th of a block away directly north on 6th. The parking situation is a problem, but saying there are drunk frat boys causing hell or that it is like campus is really over blowing it. As has been said it is people talking loud going to their cars, the occasionally WOOP! and that sort of thing. I appreciate that people really liked how quiet it was. There has been a marked change, but it isn’t that bad.

Again, the parking should be addressed but WL is hardly a nuisance bar.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    I often walk a block or two when visiting friends in popular neighborhoods. It really isn’t a big deal.

I want to see WL succeed and believe there is a positive solution for everyone that doesn’t negatively affect my elderly neighbor, my handicapped mother, or the young mother with newborn baby next door. For them, your “walk a block or two” IS a big deal. And it is not occasional when you live here, it is an every day struggle. Having the ability to come and go freely taken away from them so some of us have another place to drink seems unfair. Adding some snow and ice to the mix and watching these people struggle is saddening.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

NEOBuckeye said:
    I personally like Winking Lizard regardless of its status as a regional chain, but it’s clear to me that the new Grandview/5th Ave location missed the boat on some key things. Namely, doing their homework on the nature of the community beforehand, and locking down all the nuisance factors in order to keep nearby residents off their case.

This might not even be something WL ownership has ever really had to deal with before, seeing as how all of the other locations I know of from here to Cleveland are situated in commercial zones well removed from housing of any kind, so they may not have even thought twice about it. The Bethel Rd. location here in Columbus for example sits along a four-lane stretch that no one will ever mistake for a quiet neighborhood. Also, The WLs that I have frequented in the Akron area are set up squarely in the middle of destination commercial zones.

Grandview, however, is a different story. It isn’t a retail mecca or an off-campus, 24-hour frat party zone like you’ll generally find east of High Street in the University District, but a genuinely laid back and quiet neighborhood with a casual commercial stretch that carries a similar, low-key vibe (compared to, say, the Short North). And I think this is the problem. WL clashes with this setting and is reminding many residents why they moved to the Grandview/5xNW area in the first place; it reminds them of the loud noise/drunken behavior/parking issues that they were trying to escape from.

Also consider this: Had WL opted to locate along High St. in the University District, or somewhere on Olentangy River Rd., this thread wouldn’t even exist. The critique thus shouldn’t necessarily be about WL itself, but its questionable location choice in this instance, its impact on residents, and what can be done to mitigate the conflict in what will presumably be a long term relationship between vested residents and WL.

Well said.

buckeye54
    Participant

Although I’m sure the noise and parking is inconvenient currently, I would be willing to bet that the craziness is going to calm down over time. A grand opening coupled with march madness, which is peak season for sports bars is probably not the best time to determine whether or not the WL will be an ongoing issue.

I do find it interesting that people are reacting to this as though the WL replaced an upscale restaurant in a quiet area not a chain called hoggys located next to a grocery store, numerous restaurants and bars,as well as strip plazas on a fairly busy road. As someone who lived in grandview for several years, I expected that there would be parking issues and occasionally some drunk people making noise walking home or to their car from bars. I am wiling to bet that given time that the problem will remedy itself after the tourney ends and the newness wears off.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

buckette13 said:
    @NEOBuckeye

I think you may not have a real grasp of the situation. Have you been to this location and actually hung out on 6th at night? I practically live 1/5th of a block away directly north on 6th. The parking situation is a problem, but saying there are drunk frat boys causing hell or that it is like campus is really over blowing it. As has been said it is people talking loud going to their cars, the occasionally WOOP! and that sort of thing. I appreciate that people really liked how quiet it was. There has been a marked change, but it isn’t that bad.

Again, the parking should be addressed but WL is hardly a nuisance bar.

I never called WL a nuisance bar. What I said is that there are “nuisance factors” that WL apparently didn’t account for before their grand opening. There’s a difference.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

buckeye54 said:
    Although I’m sure the noise and parking is inconvenient currently, I would be willing to bet that the craziness is going to calm down over time. A grand opening coupled with march madness, which is peak season for sports bars is probably not the best time to determine whether or not the WL will be an ongoing issue.

I do find it interesting that people are reacting to this as though the WL replaced an upscale restaurant in a quiet area not a chain called hoggys located next to a grocery store, numerous restaurants and bars,as well as strip plazas on a fairly busy road. As someone who lived in grandview for several years, I expected that there would be parking issues and occasionally some drunk people making noise walking home or to their car from bars. I am wiling to bet that given time that the problem will remedy itself after the tourney ends and the newness wears off.

Or at least until OSU Football Season begins.

mrpoppinzs

Everyone has different thresholds of tolerance. You cannot live in a bubble and live in a dynamic city environment at the same time. There will be noises, ambulance. fire truck and police sirens, traffic, occasional dogs barking, etc. Some things can be mitigated and hopefully the egregious issues like the parking situation will be. This isn’t the first bar to open near a residential street in Columbus and I believe it will be taken care of in a timely manner.

That said, there are people who probably never will be comfortable living very close to a bar. The answer in that situation is to live in a less mixed use more residential area. There are plenty of these sections all over the urban core including Grandview and 5xNW.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:. This isn’t the first bar to open near a residential street in Columbus and I believe it will be taken care of in a timely manner.

I hope you’re right. WL would be an excellent neighbor if they moved parking south into the commercial area and out of the northern residential area. (Not sure what you meant by mixed use here). I’ve lived next to several bars and found them all to be good neighbors, but that experience is limited to Byrnes, Bodega, Thurman’s and St James. Those places were there long before me so I knew what I was getting into when I moved in. The parking problem affects my elderly mother and my elderly neighbor more than me becauseI ride COTA or walk most places. However the older folks struggle to walk two or three blocks with bags and it is exacerbated when they can’t park near their homes. They are sometimes frightened by the yelling or the surprise discovery of someone urinating in their back yard. I don’t feel commfortable telling the elderly to get out of their bubble or move. They were living here long before me and WL.

SSBucks
    Participant

musicfan2 said:

I love how people are talking about WL like it’s an Applebees-like chain. I mean it’s based out of Cleveland and has fewer than 20 locations.

That’s what a chain is called. a business with more than a few locations. Who cares where it’s based.

It provides a beer and whiskey selection unlike anything in the area, is a better place to watch a game than any of the neighboring establishments, and has a unique setup with the patio.

Jimmy V’s, Michaels, Grandview cafe, byrnes, woodlands, brazenhead, red door, all serve unique beers/drinks and have a patio. So why is WL so unique? they are NOT. All these places have flat screens and have ball sports. zzzzz.

WL can’t control what adults do outside of their walls. I think people really need to stop complaining about a place that has livened up what was destined to be an abandoned building.

Bartenders are responsible for actions of whom they serve.
    I am thinking the residents are going to take a stand against this place. Maybe WL pays for the parking permits?

I would rather see the empty building – at this point. or even take the unPC chickfila.

I’m sure if it was another bland hipster bar with “live music” that has $1 PBR’s and charges a $10 cover to listen to some mediocre local bands (Like almost every bar between Hudson and Lane on High St.) You wouldn’t be complaining as much about the noise/parking issues.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 399 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE