Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview - Hoggy's Closes All Stores

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview – Hoggy's Closes All Stores

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 399 total)
  • Author

joev
    Participant

Maybe it was the name?

geedeck
    Participant

I thought the point behind RayRay’s was that he didn’t want to eff w/ a brick & mortar store

catnfiddle
    Participant

It was just a thought, apparently a silly one…

futureman
    Participant

I’d prefer Barleys Smokehouse (House No. 2) move up the hill and take over Hoggy’s at 5th and Grandview Ave.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ingress/egress at the current location?

cbus11

I remember talking to several Grandview old timers about Hoggy’s predessor
    Stew Harrison’s:

The Ghosts of Columbus Past

placebohigh
    Participant

Piada!! Make it a Piada!

Mr.Compton
    Mr.Compton
    Participant

I stopped going to Hoggy’s when my co-worker and I had been waiting well over 25 minutes for a ‘quick’ lunch and I saw the exact dish I ordered walk by me to be served to someone who had came in 15 minutes after me. After raising a bit of a stir we got our meal comped and were served a decent meal but that kind of experience is just beyond ridiculous.

I’m hoping for something unique in the Grandview location to pop up!

Mister Shifter
    Participant

They had some really good food, but it just seems like the fast casual alternatives like City BBQ are so much more appealing to most people. You can get the same quality food, but get in and get out in a fraction of the time, and without having to pay another 20% to a server. Hoggy’s just aren’t places that I want to sit around for an hour or so. Just my observation/experience.

PS – Over the past year or two the service got so bad at the location nearest me on multiple consecutive visits that I finally reached the point where I wouldn’t go anymore, despite how much I liked the food.

cheap

NerosNeptune said:
    Sucks for the people who work there.. but it wasn’t very good food.

+1

hoggy’s and smokey bones both suck really bad,nothing but sugar

there was a bbq joint opened up on mill run in front of Home Depot last winter.

the food was nasty

they closed in a couple months.

columbusmike
    Participant

Park Creek Kitchen in Upper Arlington has some great BBQ on their menu (not shown on their website yet)….worlds better than Hoggy’s, in my opinion. The chef is from the south…so he knows good BBQ.
    http://www.parkcreekkitchen.com/food.html

wildgoose77

cheap said:

there was a bbq joint opened up on mill run in front of Home Depot last winter.

You’re thinking of Cook Shack BBQ. It was started by the same guy who owns Marshall’s on 1st Ave.

cheap

wildgoose77 said:
    You’re thinking of Cook Shack BBQ. It was started by the same guy who owns Marshall’s on 1st Ave.

it sucked.

meltsintowonder
    Participant

Ray Ray’s is the only place locally that I’ve visited that really hits it on the head for BBQ when compared to the alternatives. Their prices are very reasonable with the minimalist setup and less overhead. City BBQ does a pretty good job considering it’s a regional chain and you expect some inconsistencies with the art involved with Qing. Obviously, you go to other cities that are fixtures in BBQ and you’ll find many places at another level. It’s just unfortunate that people go to The Montgomery Inn and pay 3X what it costs to go to Ray Ray’s for the real thing.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbusmike said:
    Park Creek Kitchen in Upper Arlington has some great BBQ on their menu (not shown on their website yet)….worlds better than Hoggy’s, in my opinion. The chef is from the south…so he knows good BBQ.
    http://www.parkcreekkitchen.com/food.html

I’ve not had the BBQ at Park Creek, but you bring up a good point about good BBQ at other restaurants. I’ve enjoyed plenty of BBQ meats, pulled pork and other items on menus all across the city. BBQ doesn’t seem to be something that really needs it’s only specialty restaurant. I’ve heard people rave about the BBQ at Flatiron, and there’s some surprisingly good items at High Beck too, which has a smoker out on their back patio.

It’s sort of like fish. Columbus doesn’t have a ton of seafood restaurants, but you can find great fish dishes on just about every menu at any good restaurant. Some of the best seafood I’ve had in my life came from an anniversary dinner at The Refectory a few years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 399 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE