Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview - Hoggy's Closes All Stores

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview – Hoggy's Closes All Stores

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 399 total)
  • Author

reggiano1
    Participant

JackieC said:
    Whether you like it or not this is one of the risks that goes along with living in a desirable neighborhood (lack of parking and having higher concentration of people creates a higher risk/greater opportunity of people being stupid). I think moving next to a failing restaurant and thinking that it will always remain that way is naive and they should remember that when their lease is up.

Yes, they all have 1 spot of off street parking. One would think this could solve the problem for one resident in each unit. However, the garages for the units on the south side of 6th Ave. are plagued with vandalism and thieves breaking into cars because the enclosures are not secure. The other limiting factor to the useability of these “garages” (functioning more like a carport with 3 sides) is that they are impossibly small for anything besides a compact car. It must be very compact if you want to get out of the car in a manner that does not require a bit of contortion or a complete exit through the back hatch.

I have been communicating with residents about restrictions and getting the process started for permits. The problem with the process is that once the required number of signatures are secured, there is a parking study that occurs. This is where they verify if there truly is a parking issue. They visit the proposed area during the suggested hours for restriction and write down every plate number in the area. There are 2 requirements that must be met when they do the study: 75% of the available parking spots must be occupied and 25% of the cars in teh spots must be from “out of the area”.

You can see where this could become a failed effort based on “murphy’s law”. Let’s say the parking study happens on a Monday at 5pm when it is raining and there are no sports on to bring people in. No issue for parking. However, the bigger fear is the pressure from a large chain like WL that does not want permit parking in the area because it will make it more difficult for patrons to find parking. I am not implying that any bribery or conspiracy would take place but there is no reason for the city to care if residents have a place to park when the WL creates more revenue than permits would. Currently, the city is inconvenienced because the cops are constantly being called because of people parking illegally and obstructing intersections. They won’t have to deal with the parking issue once the signs are installed reminding people how close they can park to a stop sign or intersection. As residents, we will be completely at the mercy of the WL.

I can only imagine the chaos when the weather is warmer.

ricospaz
    Participant

Ricolla said:
    I’m not sure if this was discussed but have the residents contacted the WL management about the parking issues/concerns? Or maybe brought this to the attention of Grandview community/business leaders or chamber of commerce?

It’s in Columbus, actually.

reggiano1
    Participant

JackieC said:
    Whether you like it or not this is one of the risks that goes along with living in a desirable neighborhood (lack of parking and having higher concentration of people creates a higher risk/greater opportunity of people being stupid). I think moving next to a failing restaurant and thinking that it will always remain that way is naive and they should remember that when their lease is up.

I bought my condo 10 years ago when Hoggy’s wasn’t failing and the neighborhood was just as desirable then as it is now. It is the type of establishment that got put into this neighborhood that created this issue with the disrespectful and irresponsible nature of the patrons that visit it and the people that run it. They have no respect for property or awareness that a neighborhood that is obviously being turned upside down them.

This area is desirable because of the unique, locally owned businesses offering quality goods and services. It’s the accessibilty and intimacy of these businesses that make the neighborhood flourish. The WL provides nothing that adds to the fabric of our community except a place for gluttonous consumption that would have been a better fit for campus or the suburbs where there is more room for it.

reggiano1
    Participant

Ricolla said:
    I’m not sure if this was discussed but have the residents contacted the WL management about the parking issues/concerns? Or maybe brought this to the attention of Grandview community/business leaders or chamber of commerce?

Yes, some of the residents have visited the WL, I am not one of them and do not know how well their requests were received. I wouldn’t imagine the WL would care but I was told that they made an attempt by putting a sign on the door asking their patrons to be respectful of the neighborhood when they park.

It has had zero impact on the parking.

buckette13

I have always thought that having large parking lots is the bane of walkable neighborhoods. It seems a no-brainer for WL to make a deal with a local lot which places like Brazenhead and even smaller operations like Go Fitness have done.

As far as the fairly obsolete too small garages, mention it to the landlord. Many of those garages are falling down anyway. A parking pad can fit more cars and will lower the realestate taxes while being more visible and less prone to vandalism. My friends on the North side of 6th can fit a full SUV (tightly) into theirs, but it does have the pain in the butt doors that slide sideways instead of overhead.

All that said, I still think getting the area permitted isn’t a bad idea.

Anti

Twixlen said:
    Uh, yeah… going from a closed business to one that is obviously successful is both growth AND development.

I guess I assumed that you meant positive growth and development. In my personal opinion adding a sports bar chain (with a million beers, some local even, WOW!) complete with people who are inconsiderate to the neighborhood counts as a resounding negative.

Anyways, I originally chimed into this thread to show support for the WL area residents. As I mentioned before, we had a similar experience happen to us and in the end we were forced to move. Saying something to the extent of deal with it, it’s city life, is condescending and shows no empathy. Is it really that hard to put yourself in their shoes? You live in a neighborhood with redeemable qualities, bad bar plops down ruins some of the redeemable qualities, residents were there first and are now frustrated.

Hopefully Twixlen is right and things settle down after the initial popularity wears off. It is horrible having your home/apartment ruined by something like a bar.

SSBucks
    Participant

I love how people are talking about WL like it’s an Applebees-like chain. I mean it’s based out of Cleveland and has fewer than 20 locations. It provides a beer and whiskey selection unlike anything in the area, is a better place to watch a game than any of the neighboring establishments, and has a unique setup with the patio. WL can’t control what adults do outside of their walls. I think people really need to stop complaining about a place that has livened up what was destined to be an abandoned building.

reggiano1
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    Not true, actually. It depends on how the permitting is managed, but in German Village, residents are given a couple guest passes with every residential pass they purchase. Permit parking would be a great solution for that area.

Beyond that… Constricted parking is a sign of growth and development. I often walk a block or two when visiting friends in popular neighborhoods. It really isn’t a big deal.

Walking a block or two to get to your friend’s house (or your own for that matter) would be expected and acceptable if you lived in NYC or Chicago or DC. This is not a major metropolitan area with brownstones and row houses crammed next to massive apartment buildings. This is Grandview. Plus, we do not have sidewalks to safely get to our destination once we do find that parking spot two blocks away.

rus
    rus
    Participant

SSBucks said:
    I think people really need to stop complaining about a place that has livened up what was destined to be an abandoned building.

On the other hand, having the building abandoned may have ended up better.

buckette13

Has anyone talked to Winking Lizard?

rob75

Sorry, but I’m not sure how anyone buys a house or leases an apartment a block off of 5th and Grandview and is shocked by this development. It’s a busy corner with an existing restaurant.. maybe people moved in when Hoggy’s was closed or in the process of closing?

We lived across the street from Easy St. Cafe and Thurman Cafe for 5 years during the “Man vs. Food” boom there, with no permit parking, no parking lot for those restaurants, and you just learn to deal with it or you leave. The parking is bad for a couple of hours at lunch and a couple of hours at dinner, and unless the drunks in Grandview are meaner and louder than German Village drunks, then I suspect some of these claims are overblown.

You can try talking to Winking Lizard management, but I suspect George would have laughed me out of Easy St. Cafe if I’d asked him to keep all of these darn customers from clogging up my nearest parking spot.

buckette13

I don’t think Hoggy’s has been been truly busy in a decade. They definitely never had overflow parking issues.

GCrites80s
    Participant

rob75 said:

We lived across the street from Easy St. Cafe and Thurman Cafe for 5 years during the “Man vs. Food” boom there, with no permit parking, no parking lot for those restaurants, and you just learn to deal with it or you leave. The parking is bad for a couple of hours at lunch and a couple of hours at dinner, and unless the drunks in Grandview are meaner and louder than German Village drunks, then I suspect some of these claims are overblown.

Think about how much self-control the Grandview/5xNW and German Village drunks practice. Where I originally come from, there are always multiple fistfights when the bars close on the weekends, tons of hooting and hollering, cops blasting sirens, people doing huge burnouts, car crashes, all manner of nuttiness. And it’s pretty much true of a lot of places, even in small towns where everyone boast about how quiet their little ‘burg is. And basically every suburban strip mall bar in existence (the kind with the men’s rooms that always have the stalls destroyed). Or like those strip mall bars you see on the news where guns are going off.

Around here, it’s like a “wooooo” or an “Ill race you to the car!” and that’s about it.

buckette13

^ There is also usually someone in the group, usually a girl, giving a loud ‘Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!’ ;)

musicfan2
    Participant

I love how people are talking about WL like it’s an Applebees-like chain. I mean it’s based out of Cleveland and has fewer than 20 locations.

That’s what a chain is called. a business with more than a few locations. Who cares where it’s based.

It provides a beer and whiskey selection unlike anything in the area, is a better place to watch a game than any of the neighboring establishments, and has a unique setup with the patio.

Jimmy V’s, Michaels, Grandview cafe, byrnes, woodlands, brazenhead, red door, all serve unique beers/drinks and have a patio. So why is WL so unique? they are NOT. All these places have flat screens and have ball sports. zzzzz.

WL can’t control what adults do outside of their walls. I think people really need to stop complaining about a place that has livened up what was destined to be an abandoned building.

Bartenders are responsible for actions of whom they serve.
    I am thinking the residents are going to take a stand against this place. Maybe WL pays for the parking permits?

I would rather see the empty building – at this point. or even take the unPC chickfila.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 399 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE