Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview - Hoggy's Closes All Stores

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview – Hoggy's Closes All Stores

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 399 total)
  • Author

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

buckette13 said:
    The truth is, the area has been getting more like campus for awhile now. Last fall you only had to see the people bringing their couches onto front lawns for football tailgate parties – even on houses fronting Grandview Ave. It is getting a little bit of a North Campusy feel.

Wonder how much the sophomore residential requirement will impact this?

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if WL would have been a better fit for the former Stake Escape location further down Grandview Ave? That building has enough parking, better access, and is well removed from residential housing. Seems kinda late now, but the problems for residents likely aren’t going to get much better if the current trend is any indication, even with parking permits. Sucks for those who moved there believing that a quality of life reduction in the combination of noise, drunken idiots and parking issues would never be a concern.

I even looked at moving to this area once. Glad now that I didn’t. I like WL, but would never want to live that close to one.

mrpoppinzs

I think the majority of OSU students living in 5xNW are upperclassmen, graduate students or recently graduated. I think the previously mentioned range of 24-30 year olds is about right. Personally, I feel the OSU dorm issue will not have much of an effect. The biggest change will be in South Campus and those places will fill the void with other people (from other schools and non-students) of the 18-24 year demographic who want to live the full ‘campus ghetto lifestyle’ without much interference. That is my opinion.

futureman
    Participant

leftovers said:
    I have to imagine that parking and traffic will only get worse when Wagenbrenner builds more apartments and retail where the Giant Eagle is now.

Is this speculation or do you know for a fact? It’s my understanding that Giant Eagle still has several years left on it’s lease before anything could happen. Who knows, they might just idle it like what they did at Mill Run in the former Big Bear Plus, just so no else can put a store there. This also assumes it’s closing, and their hasn’t been an official statement by Giant Eagle about this.

leftovers

@futureman

It is just rumors that people were discussing at WL. I guess KRG has a partnership which owns the site and plans to develop mixed use apartments there once GE vacates their lease.

@Neobuckeye – that Steak & Shake is bit off the beaten path from the Grandview Strip and I think it would suffer similar problems as the Loose Goose. I am not saying it couldn’t work, just that it isn’t nearly as good for business as Hoggy’s location was, parking aside.

GCrites80s
    Participant

This is still the quietest place I’ve ever lived. Quieter than Groveport, Lancaster, Portsmouth, D.C., Huntington and our farm in Pickaway County. They all had mechanical noise. There’s almost no place that is quiet in Ohio; try North Dakota or something if you want total stillness. Then someone will fly over in a light plane and ruin it for you.

susank

Got dragged there this evening, we parked at Giant Eagle and it wasn’t a problem. I did notice several cars with orange tickets near the intersections. That problem will be fixed when they put up the no parking signs like they have in IV and VV. People just aren’t aware of the 20ft rule. Winking Lizard feels like a suburban sports bar complete with overhead garage doors opening onto the patio. Truthfully, I would rather have been further down the strip or walking around the SN.

JackieC
    Participant

@leftovers the old Steak and Shake along 33 is being used by the daycare as their kitchen. Basically except for the Nail Salon, the whole building is being used by the daycare.

GCrites80s
    Participant

It probably didn’t help Steak Escape that everybody thought it was a Steak ‘N Shake. “Hmm, I want steak Escape.” “Sorry honey, there’s only a Steak ‘N Shake around here”.

GCrites80s
    Participant

…for research purposes only…

Board members: In your opinion, how many locations can a chain have before it becomes uncool?

Anonymous
    Inactive

One more than Liz or Jeni?

susank

Looks like I will be back there tomorrow. So it seems Winking Lizard wins with the guys. Anybody have any particular must try foods they like there?

rus
    rus
    Participant

susank said:
    Looks like I will be back there tomorrow. So it seems Winking Lizard wins with the guys. Anybody have any particular must try foods they like there?

So, suburban sports bars are a hit?

susank

rus said:
    So, suburban sports bars are a hit?

Looks like the amount of TV’s, plus number of beers on tap, plus proving your manhood by showing you can parallel park in a parking nightmare = an ideal March Madness for the guys.

They also have open flames on the patio. It attracts ’em like moths. ;)

buckette13

susank said:
    plus proving your manhood by showing you can parallel park in a parking nightmare

Lol, we watched some of the spectacle on 6th street yesterday evening. It reminded me of Ken Burn’s describing how civilians used to set up lawn chairs to watch some battles in the early days of the Civil War.

For those who are not familiar with it, 6th street has parking on both sides and is not wide enough for cars to pass each other. Invariably there would be times when the street is parked up and cars meet face to face. Mostly one person either cuts into the alley, is lucky to find a spot to duck into or backs up…

Basketball induced testostorone mixed with budlight saw more then a couple of instances of brinksmanship last evening. ‘No you’re gonna back up’ was the rallying cry. As noted there was also some instances of extreme parallel parking which occasionally ended with a car alarm.

If nothing else, this has the makings of a 3rd rate cable reality show ‘Parking Wars – sports bar edition’.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

I passed through the area a few times last night. The area immediately around WL has definitely taken on something of a rowdy, off-campus frat/sports bar vibe, which doesn’t seem to be the case at all for any other bars within the Grandview/5xNW area, like Jimmy Vs or the Grandview Cafe. Maybe they just do a better job of blending into their surroundings?

WL has definitely injected something different into this area, but the area doesn’t seem to be taking it very well. As I suggested, it’s like someone picked up a bar from Park St. and set it down here. The funny thing is, every other WL I’ve been to seems much more laid back by comparison.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 399 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: