Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview - Hoggy's Closes All Stores

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Winking Lizard Replaces Hoggy's in Grandview – Hoggy's Closes All Stores

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 399 total)
  • Author

thirstychef
    Participant

0Angle said:
    Wheredya park?

In their lot. Plent of room at the start of HH on a Monday.

rus
    rus
    Participant

catnfiddle said:
    Please tell me you called the police to tow the schmuck’s car.

HighLife
    Participant

I used to live in the 5XNW area, and I once had someone park their car INSIDE of my own personal garage space. The satisfaction I felt as the tow truck removed their car was only second to the awesomeness of witnessing the hungover individual approach my garage the next afternoon and experience extreme confusion at how his vehicle had transformed into a different one overnight.

Anti

JaredThompson said:
    Drunk people screaming on my lawn at 1am is hardly what I’d call a thriving business area. Someone else became desparate for parking and parked behind my garage blocking me from going to work, I picked smashed beer bottles off the sidewalk and watch a group leaving the bar try to rip down a speed limit sign then drive away. Until this happens to your neighborhood, it’s hard to understand the impact. This is no longer a desirable neighborhood for those who wishes to live in peace and quiet.

I certainly feel you. My wife and I used to live on the corner of Park and Goodale, at the time it was a pretty quiet area with a terrific location. We were literally on Goodale park and right in the Short North. Brothers, Gas Werks, and Spice were a bit down the street, but it was still manageable. Queue Park Street Patio, that place single-handedly destroyed the area. All of a sudden douchebags and douchebagettes were trashing our parking lot, damaging the residents’ cars, and exhibiting all of the stereotypical behavior that Park street is known for. They used to have live “music” (i.e. terrible cover bands playing the Gin Blossoms) that was so loud that you could hear from the corner of Buttles and Park.

It’s infuriating to have your home destroyed by something as ridiculous as a bar for 25-35 year old post-frat dudes. The police weren’t doing anything, and supposedly there were going to be some legal cases against the bar, but in the end we just packed up our stuff and moved out. Hopefully things get better for the residents in the Winking Lizard area, but if they (Winking Lizard) are making money, I wouldn’t count on it.

GCrites80s
    Participant

St. Patrick’s Day brought out the amateurs this weekend.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    St. Patrick’s Day brought out the amateurs this weekend.

I was home actually.

ricospaz
    Participant

Snarf said:
    I was home actually.

The Pros drink at home on St Patrick’s day.

derm
    derm
    Participant

thirstychef said:
    Went to Winking for happy hour. As usual, great beer, solid service, and good bar food. The interior doesn’t look all that different, just moved the bar. No booths, just a bunch of tables, fresh coat of paint, and tv’s.

As far as intoxicated a-holes creating parking issues and other problems, I wonder what people who live near Byrne’s or other watering holes in Grandview deal with?

Byrne’s creates a similar scenario. I used to live 3 houses away on Meadow and weekends were loud at midnight to three every night. I remember one time a drunk fired up their car and proceeded to sideswipe about six cars trying to get going. I currently live a block off the main drag and love the closeness to the businesses, schools, library and my barber. I do have to fight for parking on thursday, friday and saturday nights after about seven.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

Despite the challenges outside on the streets, inside WL is a good experience with a decent bar menu – and I’m glad an independent business opened here instead of another sub franchise or chain.

billbix

They are a chain.

Lizard Locator:
    16 Lizard(s) found

http://www.winkinglizard.com/plugins/storelocator/default.aspx?zip=43212

reggiano1
    Participant

I got a text from my dog walker an hour ago “I officially hate WL”. He said that not only is there no parking right now, but the traffic on 6th and Grandview Ave looking for parking is making it dangerous to be a pedestrian. Another text after he left said he couldn’t see to pull onto Grandview Ave. from 6th and almost got hit.

A Friday afternoon and NO PARKING??? I realize it is March Madness but apparently the people going to the WL aren’t working. I am still calling the cops nightly and will be polling the neighbors this weekend to propose parking restrictions. I am envisioning permit only parking M-F 4PM-2AM and all weekend.

The patio will definitely make things worse, so hopefully we can get it approved before it gets too warm.

buckette13

reggiano1 said:
    He said that not only is there no parking right now, but the traffic on 6th and Grandview Ave looking for parking is making it dangerous to be a pedestrian.

I had heard that they are going to start installing sidewalks in that part of 5xNW. They did a section of Northwest Blvd last fall. It has never been safe with people walking in the street on 6th in dark clothing, and WL traffic just makes it worse.

I thought it was cool that the apartment building next to WL put in a full size regular sidewalk when they fixed it up.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

It looks like the city is preparing to install no parking signs at each intersection. This cuts both ways. It’s the residents that have to deal with the increased parking enforcement (aka increased chance of residents being ticketed) and reducing available parking in an already overcrowded situation. It feels like WL brought Campus to 5xNW in the form of increased foot traffic, drunks shouting on the lawns at 1 am, cars everywhere and overcrowding. Admittedly, I like their food and think it’s a good place to catch a game. But am very glad that I didn’t buy that condo on W. 6th that I thought about last Fall. I can easily move, but the property owners really got screwed on this one.

buckette13

JaredThompson said:
    But am very glad that I didn’t buy that condo on W. 6th that I thought about last Fall. I can easily move, but the property owners really got screwed on this one.

My friends live right next to that condo…the lady in the most western unit has dogs barking all the time. You made a good call.

The truth is, the area has been getting more like campus for awhile now. Last fall you only had to see the people bringing their couches onto front lawns for football tailgate parties – even on houses fronting Grandview Ave. It is getting a little bit of a North Campusy feel.

leftovers

I have to imagine that parking and traffic will only get worse when Wagenbrenner builds more apartments and retail where the Giant Eagle is now.

I have been to Winking Lizard a few times and I think it is a nice addition as a sportsbar. Hopefully they will rent a few lots for weekend and evening traffic. I think more people will be coming to Grandview for wandering around the multiple bars and restaurants. It is turning into a much more low key SN, imho. It is not a one trick pony and I think more parking regulations seem to be called for.

@buckette13 I have always been surprised at how many dogs there are in 5xNW especially considering it has no parks and public greenspace.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 399 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: