Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Hofbrauhaus Beer Hall

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Hofbrauhaus Beer Hall

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)
  • Author

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>
    And by “claustrophobic” you mean “feels like a Downtown”. ;)

If Hofbrauhaus wanted to build in the far flung suburbs surrounded by a sea of parking lots, they could have. There’s plenty of room.

You know, I have to admit that 50% of why I read CU is for Walker’s remarks/retorts! Haha

Anyway, I went to Hofbräuhaus this Sunday around noon when they opened and had a wonderful lunch and liter of Bier. We went one time before and decided to not wait around because of the wait, which is no biggie as we expected as such. I assume it will be quite busy for a while! I don’t know why I’m so excited about this place, but I can’t wait to keep going back!

I kind of wish they would have renovated a building in German Village, which could have further fed the ‘German-ness’ of the area, but logistically speaking this made more sense. I am also glad they built a new building in GV Yard, where there was once an empty field.

PROST!!

Did not think of this, but I agree. It works in Grandview Yard, but would have fit into German Village even better had that been possible.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

And by “claustrophobic” you mean “feels like a Downtown”. ;)

If Hofbrauhaus wanted to build in the far flung suburbs surrounded by a sea of parking lots, they could have. There’s plenty of room.

Instead, they chose that spot in Grandview Yard knowing full well that it would be gradually built out with many more buildings, neighbors, residents, businesses, workers and most importantly… customers. ;)

Yeah, but have you been to the one in Newport KY? It’s got a nice open view of the river and downtown Cincinatti. Same goes for the one in Pittsburgh. It’s outdoors, it’s open, it’s got a nice view. Hell, even the biergarten in central Munich at the Victuallianmarkt is surrounded by open space. So my point is that it would suck if the up and coming buildings were butted up against the biergarten. The Gardview Yard is going to fill up in the next couple of years but that doesn’t mean it has to feel like sardines.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Hell, even the biergarten in central Munich at the Victuallianmarkt is surrounded by open space.

That’s a cool looking space, and it looks like there’s a few buildings right there in the background with a few trees in between. I imagine that’s what the Grandview Yard one will look like when the building next door is completed. There will be space in between. I imagine it will feel urban without feeling enclosed:

As for the river-front view… that would be much nicer than looking at a dirt lot. ;) Unfortunately, Grandview Yard doesn’t have a river.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Building it at North Bank Park woulda been bauce.

As for the river-front view… that would be much nicer than looking at a dirt lot. ;) Unfortunately, Grandview Yard doesn’t have a river.

…yet

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…yet

Hahaha! Very nice!

The “Yard Street Canal” has a nice ring to it. ;)

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Everyone’s going on about light rail in Columbus, when canals are the future!

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Ambiance is great and all, but lets get down to brass tacks. How’s the beer? You’re all burying the lede!

SSBucks
    Participant

Ambiance is great and all, but lets get down to brass tacks. How’s the beer? You’re all burying the lede!

The beer is pretty good overall. They have 4 kinds right now: a Lager, a Light-Lager, a Dunkel, and a Hefeweisen. I haven’t had the light lager (pretty sure that’s only there for people who only drink Bud/Miller/Coors light) but the other three are tasty in their own regard. At about $8-$9 for a liter it’s a solid deal.

I’m interested to see how their seasonals are. They’re starting those in December I believe.

edg126
    edg126
    Participant

Do they have a full bar? I want to check it out this weekend, but I know a few in my group don’t like beer.

ricospaz
    Participant

Yes, they do have a full bar.

My wife was there last night and said the service was pretty terrible but the food and beer were great. I’m sure they are still going through the process of finding a good staff. Place was packed out the door at 7:30, she said it was hard to get through the crowd to leave.

JAL
    Participant

Last Friday it was only 6pm and I was there with a party of 3 and told it was already going to be a 2 1/2 hour wait for a table. After 2 hours we ended up leaving and were still about 20 down on the list. I was told that they even stopped taking names relatively early because they weren’t going to be able to seat people before the kitchen closed.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I have heard 2 hour+ waits have been the norm almost every night since it opened. Longer on friday and saturdays.

I’d say business is good.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

I stopped in last night for the first time and was blown away by the crowds and great time! Quickly realized a plug needs to be made for Germania in the Brewery District though… A very similar concept, they’ve been operating since 1866 (a couple hundred years younger than Hofbrau but a long time nonetheless), you can store your own bier stein at the bar for future visits, perfect bier garten, low annual membership cost, etc. and I’m sure an influx of new, younger generation members would be welcomed.

Germania of Columbus/

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I made it into the Stein Club ^_^

What you get:
    1. Locker with key for 1 year
    2. HB Ceramic Stein
    3. Birthday Gift
    4. Bier Specials Just For Stein Masters
    5. 10% off all gift shop items
    6. 2 Free Entree cards, up to a $31 value!
    7. Option to buy a Stein Masters Jersey

It cost $125 for new members.
    Renewing the membership will run you $75

The last batch of 65 lockers will go live Tuesday December 16th at 10am.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Hey, the Biergarten is open. Check it out on some of the sunny days we have coming our way.

I went last Friday and with the added seating, there was no wait inside which usually is an hour or two wait on a peak Friday.

The Biergarten is first come first serve and you are waited on. So if you see some empty benches, plop down.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE