Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Historic Districts Want Rental Signs Removed from Houses

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Historic Districts Want Rental Signs Removed from Houses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Neighbors in historic districts protest rental signs tacked up on houses

By Mark Ferenchik

The Columbus Dispatch

Wednesday June 13, 2012 5:39 AM

They’re as plentiful as Ohio State students in the neighborhoods around campus: for-rent signs affixed to houses. But some area residents and officials say those signs don’t belong in districts that the city has deemed architecturally significant and where approval is necessary to make any exterior alterations. “They’re not appropriate,” said Roger Deal, a leader of the Northwood Park neighborhood just northeast of campus. “Going back to 1910, nobody had a sign that said ‘rental’ on these things.”

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/06/13/blight-of-blatant-billboards.html

leftovers

Wayne Garland, who owns Buckeye Real Estate, said he’s never heard anything about needing zoning clearance either. He said police and firefighters want the signs so they can identify the property owners when necessary.

Looks like he is on the losing end on this one. As far as identifying property owners – all rental property must have contact info registered with the Franklin County Auditor per state law partly for this reason.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I live across the street from a couple of these. Not a fan of the signs, but even less a fan of most of the tenants. Politely asking them to move the couch off of the front lawn should work, right?

leftovers

At least it wasn’t on fire, that tends to happen more in South Campus.

It’s campus, who cares. I mean really.

Anonymous
    Inactive

local champion said:

Who cares about what? I care about my property value, my neighborhood, my 100+ year old house, my view from my awesome front porch…
    I bought the house 17 years ago knowing that because I lived in a historic neighborhood that there would be compliance issues. I comply. A landlord who lives in Florida doesn’t get a pass due to ignorance.

But you also bought knowing a large student population lived near by? I mean neighborhoods change, and always have. Some neighborhoods that were ghetto become nice and some that were nice then ghetto, thus is the cycle. I don’t underatqnd people getting up in arms over what happens on campus.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Apparently Cheap has 2 accounts.

groundrules
    Participant

local champion said:
    But you also bought knowing a large student population lived near by? I mean neighborhoods change, and always have. Some neighborhoods that were ghetto become nice and some that were nice then ghetto, thus is the cycle. I don’t underatqnd people getting up in arms over what happens on campus.

local also-ran is more apropos. just sayin’.

Twixlen
    Participant

local champion said:

So it’s not ok to expect neighbors to comply with the same rules/code/restrictions that you comply with?

So many people believe OSU to be the gem of Columbus – but it’s OK for the surrounding housing to be shitholes? This makes no sense to me.

lifeontwowheels said:
    Apparently Cheap has 2 accounts.

+1

Anonymous
    Inactive

Buy local, unless it’s Historic Northwood Park.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

local champion said:

Everyone who lives in Columbus and cares about Columbus should care about the neighborhoods surrounding OSU.

rory
    Participant

Walker said:
    Everyone who lives in Columbus and cares about Columbus should care about the neighborhoods surrounding OSU.

yep, and I think the people who think that no one cares are starting to figure out that people do care.

Walker said:

College kids are college kids in every city in America. In Ann arbor it is the same, Madison, athens, etc. You want to live somewhere where there are not couches on porches then so not live on campus. It is very simple.

rory
    Participant

local champion said:
    College kids are college kids in every city in America. In Ann arbor it is the same, Madison, athens, etc. You want to live somewhere where there are not couches on porches then so not live on campus. It is very simple.

That’s horseshit. Other cites such as Ann Arbor and Madison have rigorous code enforcement that prevent many of the problems that the OSU campus area has such as restricting the number of unrelated adults that live together (Ann Arbor) and restrictions against couches on porches such as Columbus. It’s an enforcement issue not a living next to campus issue. The university area has two code enforcement officers where they used to have four. They can’t keep up and it affects the quality of life there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: