Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Historic 1940 Gunning House Imminently Threatened!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Historic 1940 Gunning House Imminently Threatened!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Anyone looking for a house?

Urgent action is needed to preserve the 1940 Gunning House, a rare example of Frank Lloyd Wright-influenced architecture located in east Columbus. Seller is considering an offer from a developer interested in demolition and redevelopment as commercial site.

gh_main.jpg

• Action needed: Immediate purchase by buyer interested in preserving the property

• Serious buyers only are to e-mail realtor Bud Byrne – Email address available here

• Price: $275,000

• Address: 7495 E. Broad Street, Jefferson Township (Reynoldsburg/Blacklick vicinity)

• Property: Stunning 2.5 wooded acres sited on ravine with 1940 house (2100 sf), 1954 3-story studio tower, carport, pond, and tennis court

• Condition: Vacant since 2005, in deteriorated condition, but not beyond repair

• Designers: Tony Smith (Wright apprentice), Theodore van Fossen (designed Rush Creek Village), and Laurence Cuneo (Wright apprentice, interior designer)

• Historic status: Unquestionably eligible for listing in National Register of Historic Places and related tax benefits for income-producing properties

More Info

drew
    Participant

Beautiful place, such a shame it’s fallen into disrepair as it has.

I’m guessing that the asking price is essentially just the value of the land the house sits on.

misskitty
    Participant

That is all sorts of awesome. I love it and wish I had the cash I would take it in a hart beat. also restore it. I love walls of windows and the Wilderness around it. I looked at a similar house for sale in Texas not to long ago far cheaper but needed more work then this one appears to need.

lifeliberty
    Participant

i don’t understand how anyone could let that happen to that house. it’s like living in a piece of art.

JoePeffer
    JoePeffer
    Participant

It’s a great looking house.

2800+ square feet and 3 bed, 3 baths.

It’s been on the market since March of 2007 and was never once in contract apparently. I’ve shown homes in Rush Creek but this home looks to be much nicer than those even. Add in the acreage and the pond…

No doubt though that it must be a pretty intensive labor of love to restore this home.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

God, what a shame. I wish I had the cash for that.

This will be one of those things that sticks in my craw, that serves as a catalyst somehow.

Motorist
    Participant

Thats a damn shame. And the worst part is that when a developer does buy it and “develop” it into commercial space, they’re almost sure to turn it into some shitty stripmall with a shitty prairie style inspired look. They’ll probably even name it Gunning Crossing or some such shit. You know, as a tribute.

blammo
    Participant

Motorist wrote Thats a damn shame. And the worst part is that when a developer does by it and “develop” it into commercial space, they’re almost sure to turn it into some shitty stripmall with a shitty prairie style inspired look. They’ll probably even name it Gunning Crossing or some such shit. You know, as a tribute.

…”with a 3-story retail tower and built-in sale racks!”

seeing that place for sale makes me almost want to get a job or something! well…almost. It is pretty cool though.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Ahh, life in the midwest…

joev
    Participant

I totally see the need to preserve this building. But FLW-style houses don’t really make the best homes for most people. He was very form above function. I’ve been in a couple that looked very similar with insanely narrow hallways and extremely oddly-laid out kitchens. The stone walls provided very little insulation and are tough to keep clean.

That said, I think this would be a great spot for an office. Perhaps a small architectural firm or non-profit?

Motorist
    Participant

joev wrote I totally see the need to preserve this building. But FLW-style houses don’t really make the best homes for most people. He was very form above function. I’ve been in a couple that looked very similar with insanely narrow hallways and extremely oddly-laid out kitchens. The stone walls provided very little insulation and are tough to keep clean.

I love the narrow hallways. The idea was that halls are for getting from one room to another so he made them just big enough to do that and small enough that you can’t put furniture or clutter in them.

I think the odd kitchens are generally more a function of how the kitchen was used then versus how they are used now.

joev
    Participant

Motorist wrote

I love the narrow hallways. The idea was that halls are for getting from one room to another so he made them just big enough to do that and small enough that you can’t put furniture or clutter in them.

Agreed about the purpose, but narrow hallways also limit what furniture you can get through the house and into rooms. I think it’s an amazingly cool house – hey, here’s another idea. In Willoughby Hills, there is a FLW house that has been restored and is a vacation rental. It’s been booked pretty solid for four years since it’s opened at $275 a night. Any entrepreneurs out there? http://www.penfieldhouse.com/

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

God, I love Willoughby Hills. When I die, I want to go to Willoughby Hills. Oh wait, I did have penciled-in plans to haunt the Athletic Club.

Jesus I am so sorry to post so much today, it is still the ‘Tussin talkin’.

joev
    Participant

Manatee wrote God, I love Willoughby Hills. When I die, I want to go to Willoughby Hills. Oh wait, I did have penciled-in plans to haunt the Athletic Club.

Jesus I am so sorry to post so much today, it is still the ‘Tussin talkin’.

Woodsy Lake County communities FTW!

Motorist
    Participant

joev wrote

Motorist wrote

Agreed about the purpose, but narrow hallways also limit what furniture you can get through the house and into rooms. I think it’s an amazingly cool house –

I think that was part of the reason too, so that nobody would remove any of the built in furniture. Wright was a ridiculous control freak.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE