Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Hilliard Sunflower Debate

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Hilliard Sunflower Debate

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 107 total)
  • Author

kcrissinger

Coreroc wrote >>

kcrissinger wrote >>
    Does anyone have any innovative ideas on how to help Kelly? Maybe we could get Coreroc to paint something more appropriate?

I would love to help out in this case however there is nothing wrong with that mural outside of those willing to complain about it. To be honest the mural on the side of the starliner diner is a huge eyesore at this point. It had it’s day in the limelight, but now looks like crap. I think that is a far worse eyesore than the sunflower and would love to refresh that mural.
    In this case one must fight the good fight and find the way to please both herself and her neighbors if at all possible. My best wishes are in the favor of art in public spaces for all to enjoy.

Good point. I wonder how they get away with it….

Parker
    Participant

I think it’s ridiculous but it’s her fault for living in such a bland community. This is what you get in the burbs.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

this thread in review:

“hey look, an unfortunate situation in a suburb.”

“hey everyone, suburbs suck, yay, i hate the suburbs”

“yay, me too, screw the suburbs they suck, yay!”

“boo, suburbs, boooo! yay!”

Tenzo
    Participant

Needs more cow bell

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I am like so more urban than you.

lifeliberty
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    I am like so more urban than you.

that is!

kcrissinger

Sorry to ruin the fun here.

However, many have said “she should have known these things when the bought the house.”

Well, she bought the house in 1984. The Hilliard Code that limits some of these things was adopted in 2005. True, maybe she should have checked, but she sure didn’t have the limitations when she bought the 100 year-old house in 1984.

Columbusite

That’s a doozy. To be fair, many of the the people complaining about Hilliard do have first hand experience. I’ve done the same about Reynoldsburg and for good reason.

Bear
    Participant

Perhaps the homeowner should consider installing a decorative vent cover.

JD3

Snarf wrote >>
    this thread in review:
    “hey look, an unfortunate situation in a suburb.”
    “hey everyone, suburbs suck, yay, i hate the suburbs”
    “yay, me too, screw the suburbs they suck, yay!”
    “boo, suburbs, boooo! yay!”

I was thinking this same thing. This is an opportunity to pile on the burbs.

manticore33
    Participant

Ignorance of the law does not mean you are allowed to do as you please. Given that, if she lived there since 1984 and they passed it in 2005 why was she not active in the community to voice her opinion? Sure, this sunflower might be attractive, but what about the next neighbor who decides to use his/her garage and for a moral of Earnhardt, Buddhism, Jesus? Or lease the space for an advertisement?

Everyone has differing opinions of art and what is acceptable or unacceptable. Preservation and community organizations are designed to create normality. They set a general guideline and look of the neighborhood, and fortunately, or unfortunately, majority rules.

If you do not want to deal with regulations or the opinions of neighbors, buy land and move to the country. That is where I am heading. So I can take my ‘population density’ in doses on my own terms. ;)

Pablo
    Participant

Bear wrote >>
    Perhaps the homeowner should consider installing a decorative vent cover.

I’m sure this would be fine as long as it falls within the approved color palette.

kcrissinger

Columbusite wrote >>
    That’s a doozy. To be fair, many of the the people complaining about Hilliard do have first hand experience. I’ve done the same about Reynoldsburg and for good reason.

I lived there for 8 years. I know how the government, etc. there works. It’s mostly run by the “good old boys” club still. They’re all about property owners rights when it comes to development. However, once the property is sold and developed, you lose all rights.

They’re one of the least environmentally sensitive cities in Franklin county. It comes from the top down there. The “green” community does not think very highly of their efforts (or lack there of).

Brant
    Participant

Public art, an anonymous complaint, a city crackdown… not just Hilliard anymore.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Brant Jones wrote >>
    Public art, an anonymous complaint, a city crackdown… not just Hilliard anymore.

Well. Thankfully an anonymous citizen decided to alert the community to the dangers of snow jubblies.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 107 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION