Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Hilliard Sunflower Debate

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Hilliard Sunflower Debate

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)
  • Author

10sun

Don’t be surprised when something that is specifically stated as being contrary to the law ends up being contrary to the law and people call you out on it.

Meet Fred Kanter of Mountain Lakes, NJ; he did not move some cars from his driveway that he had parked there and the city gave him a ticket… so he found out what wasn’t clearly prohibited and did that. Over a dozen lion statues painted a variety of colors. Piles of bowling balls. Giant frog statues on his roof. The list goes on… I wish I had a good picture of his house

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

A few years ago there was that guy on Morse Road near High Street, with “art” including a motorcycle installed in his yard, he and the city went back and forth for a long time.

agtw31

10sun wrote >>
    Don’t be surprised when something that is specifically stated as being contrary to the law ends up being contrary to the law and people call you out on it.

Meet Fred Kanter of Mountain Lakes, NJ; he did not move some cars from his driveway that he had parked there and the city gave him a ticket… so he found out what wasn’t clearly prohibited and did that. Over a dozen lion statues painted a variety of colors. Piles of bowling balls. Giant frog statues on his roof. The list goes on… I wish I had a good picture of his house

a good friend of mine in oak ridge nj saw a cop walking up to his house.
    the cop was looking under the tarps coverring some of his cars he had in his driveway.

he got a ticket for each one that didn’t have plates.

i told him he was going to get cracked having all those cars with no tags,but he didn’t believe me.

cc

I once absentmindedly walked into Sams Club via the exit door. The greeter yelled at me saying :

“You can’t go in the out door! What are you trying to do, rule the world?”

rus
    rus
    Participant

cc wrote >>
    I once absentmindedly walked into Sams Club via the exit door. The greeter yelled at me saying :

Was there also a note about the white zone is for loading and unloading only?

cc

All I know is that it really set back my plans of world domination…

rus
    rus
    Participant

cc wrote >>
    All I know is that it really set back my plans of world domination…

I hear ya. You know how hard it is to get a building permit for a Secret Volcano Lair? Hell, it’s essentially geothermal… you’d think they’d WANT green energy, but NOOOOO….

Don’t even get me started on the PETA people. Ill tempered sea bass are not a proper replacement for sharks with frickin lasers.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Take a really great digital photo of the mural; print it up super huge and frame it. Hang it inside the house. Paint the garage Hilliard Beige. Begin plans to move out of Hilliard.

berdawn

rus wrote >>

cc wrote >>

Was there also a note about the white zone is for loading and unloading only?

what if one gets lonely raising dental floss?

kcrissinger

10sun wrote >>
    It is a fucking ugly mural prohibited by deed restrictions and established covenants which the property owner knew full and well before purchasing the property over 25 years ago.

She lives in Old Hilliard and I’m not sure that the Old Hilliard Commission even existed 25 years ago. It’s not like a new subdivision where these things are apparent up front. Based on a few of the properties I’ve seen in the “historic district”, this does not damage the property or other property values in any way.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

JD3 wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    Some people have nothing better to do, huh?
    Really quite sad and apparently this woman prides herself on being a thorn in the side of Hilliard, nitpicking every little thing the city does.

Funny, I’m not sure who you’re talking about here.

The neighbor who complained.

I get the HOA argument, but it borders on the obscenely stupid. We can’t technically have a shed in the backyard at my parent’s place. Can’t technically have a wood fence over a certain length. Thankfully we have a great relationship with the only neighbors who can see it.

Neighbors like the one who complained will nitpick every pathetic detail. If this woman had grabbed the “Hilliard Beige” from the Home Depot Shelf, the neighbor probably would have been out with the paint chips and code book making sure it was the exact shade specified in City Code 40456, subsection A, paragraph 3, line 5.

And yeah, the Sunflower Lady knew going in. But where do we draw the line? Why should my choice in housing be determined by my acceptance of rules formulated by past residents years before my time?

kcrissinger

JD3 wrote >>

Brant Jones wrote >>
    People move to Hilliard because of the strict code enforcement. They like the blandscape. It keeps property values stable.
    This is a question of taste, after all. If the woman had a badly-painted sunflower on the side of her house, or another poorly executed or garish display of art, property values would surely drop, and there wouldn’t be any objection to the code enforcement. But the government is not an arbiter of taste, only of laws.
    So in order to prevent bad art the government has to restrict ALL art. Even if it means that cool, funky, bright little beams of happiness like Ms. Daniel’s sunflower get the axe.
    She might have saved herself some trouble had she asked what the laws were before she got out the paints. But she probably figured it’d be easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Well put. I don’t know why this issue hits a nerve with me but it does, haha.
    I restrained myself from posting the question of whether or not people would be up in arms if someone painted a huge ode to Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake or NASCAR. Whould they back the artist then? Or would it just be tacky like the lawn ornament statement.

That takes me back to seeing one of those tacky “black watchman” statues in a front yard in Old Hilliard. That, I find to be offensive. Funny, no one says anything about those….

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

“I’ll take a ride to Beverly Hills
    just before dawn,
    and knock the little jockeys
    off the rich people’s lawns,
    and before they get up I’ll be gone”

berdawn

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

And yeah, the Sunflower Lady knew going in. But where do we draw the line? Why should my choice in housing be determined by my acceptance of rules formulated by past residents years before my time?

well, yeah. that’s what has kept the home you’re choosing and the neighborhood around it stable, albeit potentially “boring”. If you want changes, you’d have to take a chance on not being able to convince enough of your neighbors once you live there to make changes.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I will say it might have been more neighborly to try to work the matter out neighbor-to-neighbor before calling in the association.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION