Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Hilliard Sunflower Debate

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Hilliard Sunflower Debate

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 107 total)
  • Author

kcrissinger

Does anyone have any innovative ideas on how to help Kelly? Maybe we could get Coreroc to paint something more appropriate?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Some people have nothing better to do, huh?

Really quite sad and apparently this woman prides herself on being a thorn in the side of Hilliard, nitpicking every little thing the city does.

alove
    alove
    Participant

F*** that lady.
    Proof there are still boring, unartistic, dictator-like types in this city.
    Let’s paint her bookstore tonight with all the colors of the wind?

10sun

It is a fucking ugly mural prohibited by deed restrictions and established covenants which the property owner knew full and well before purchasing the property over 25 years ago.

Cookie

alove wrote >>
    F*** that lady.

What an incredibly fucked up thing to suggest.

10sun wrote >>
    It is a fucking ugly mural prohibited by deed restrictions and established covenants which the property owner knew full and well before purchasing the property over 25 years ago.

I’m glad somebody finally said it.

melikecheese
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

alove wrote >>
    F*** that lady.

What an incredibly fucked up thing to suggest.

10sun wrote >>

I’m glad somebody finally said it.

I’m glad to see your still just quoting people and adding snarky comments Cookie. You’ve stayed on this course for years and years, I am impressed.

Ugly or not, “deed restrictions” and “established covenants” is a lame excuse. So she can’t paint something on her barn but she could load her front yard with lawn ornaments or leave trash all over, let the grass die, never pull weeds, do some many other things that would really make the place look like crap.

I’d love to trade with you 10sun, you can live in my house and get a view of the house next door that has old cars and a junk pile filling the entire back yard and uses the front porch as storage for anything. I’ll take this terrible, ugly, and illegal mural.

If I owned this house, I would tell the city officials to f off. Same with almost every “HOA”.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I wonder, if there’s a palette of approved colors, and she painted the mural in those colors, would the neighbors still have a case?

Cookie

melikecheese wrote >>
    Ugly or not, “deed restrictions” and “established covenants” is a lame excuse.

She knew she was in the wrong. If you don’t want your neighbors to tell you how to paint your garage, you don’t live somewhere where they have the power to do so. It’s not that complicated.

JD3

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    Some people have nothing better to do, huh?
    Really quite sad and apparently this woman prides herself on being a thorn in the side of Hilliard, nitpicking every little thing the city does.

Funny, I’m not sure who you’re talking about here.

berdawn

melikecheese wrote >>
    If I owned this house, I would tell the city officials to f off. Same with almost every “HOA”.

I hope you try that…I’m sure you’d have a lot of success with that plan.

JD3

“she could load her front yard with lawn ornaments…that would really make the place look like crap.”

Oh, so if you “express yourself” with a huge sunflower mural it’s okay but if you like lawn ornaments they make the place look like crap? Judge much? I hope you can see my point.

“or leave trash all over, let the grass die, never pull weeds, do some many other things that would really make the place look like crap.”

I’d suggest calling the city on this, they will ususally send the person a letter telling them it’s a nuisance. I’ve done it before.

agtw31

my ex wife lives in a subdivision in Georgia with an association.

the association had a $5000 judgment/lien against the previous owner because she had a fence installed over 6′ tall.
    the reason they didnt want fences over 6′ tall,is because people were filling their yards up with cars.
    residents were running illegal garages in the neighborhood,one guy was running a frigging body shop in his garage.

associations are good for the neighborhood,because they stop people from doing crazy stuff,like knuckleheads painting big flowers on the side of their house.

it’s nothing new,they’ve been around for years,especially in areas around the short north and the north side.

JD3

alove wrote >>
    F*** that lady.

There is so much hypocracy in statements like this. Do you know what the word dictator means?
    These people have set up rules for their community. You don’t have to move there. But if you CHOOSE to live there, you have to follow the rules. You can’t come in there and change all the rules becuase it’s what YOU want to do and nobody else, like a dictator. The city and the lady complaining are not the dictators, the artist is, don’t you see that?
    And yes, let’s all do physical damage to the property of someone we disagree with. You probably think you’re open minded don’t you? Stupid comment.

Brant
    Participant

People move to Hilliard because of the strict code enforcement. They like the blandscape. It keeps property values stable.

This is a question of taste, after all. If the woman had a badly-painted sunflower on the side of her house, or another poorly executed or garish display of art, property values would surely drop, and there wouldn’t be any objection to the code enforcement. But the government is not an arbiter of taste, only of laws.

So in order to prevent bad art the government has to restrict ALL art. Even if it means that cool, funky, bright little beams of happiness like Ms. Daniel’s sunflower get the axe.

She might have saved herself some trouble had she asked what the laws were before she got out the paints. But she probably figured it’d be easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

JD3

Brant Jones wrote >>
    People move to Hilliard because of the strict code enforcement. They like the blandscape. It keeps property values stable.
    This is a question of taste, after all. If the woman had a badly-painted sunflower on the side of her house, or another poorly executed or garish display of art, property values would surely drop, and there wouldn’t be any objection to the code enforcement. But the government is not an arbiter of taste, only of laws.
    So in order to prevent bad art the government has to restrict ALL art. Even if it means that cool, funky, bright little beams of happiness like Ms. Daniel’s sunflower get the axe.
    She might have saved herself some trouble had she asked what the laws were before she got out the paints. But she probably figured it’d be easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Well put. I don’t know why this issue hits a nerve with me but it does, haha.
    I restrained myself from posting the question of whether or not people would be up in arms if someone painted a huge ode to Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake or NASCAR. Whould they back the artist then? Or would it just be tacky like the lawn ornament statement.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 107 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION