Our City Online

Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Highball Halloween - Sat, Oct 30, 2010

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals Highball Halloween – Sat, Oct 30, 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Less than three months away!

Highball Halloween

October 30, 2010

4pm – 12am

Located in the Short North between 2nd & 4th Ave.

This year’s theme is Alice in Wonderland!

Preview photos featuring Charly Bauer, Carmen Owens, Diesha Condon:

Lots of photos from last year here: http://www.highballhalloween.com

CDS sherman

i wondered why i saw Alice earlier… thank god i wasn’t the only one!

DR
    Participant

Are they really keeping this at the other end of the neighborhood again? I heard it was horrible up that way last year.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, Alice in Wonderland is always fun, but this feels like its trying to mine a theme past its high point.

somertimeoh
    Participant

I figured AIW would be huge at Halloween this year because of the movie. Makes sense to me.

cc

I have to agree with mrsgeedeck, I do not see the creativity in miming the theme present on all the tv’s for sale at Sam’s club and Walmart.

Favorite artist or paintings, beaux art’s ball etc, so many possibilites. Think outside the redbox…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Fun around Columbus wrote >>
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 Columbus’ Short North Arts District will celebrate Halloween in style as it brings back HighBall Halloween: Masquerade on High, for the third year. The event, billed as part Carnivale and part Mardi Gras, with a pinch of Halloween, starts at 4 p.m. with the Mini-Masques: Children’s Costume Contest, live music, a dance D.J., an unforgettable fashion show, pet costume contest, and a parade of costumes.
    Children’s Costume Contest registration takes place a 2 p.m. for anyone ages 2-12. Judging will be in six categories: Best Super Hero, Best Circus Star, Best Kids Book Character, Funniest, Most Original and Best of Show. Kids will also enjoy the Short North Trick-or-Treat on High Street from 1-3:30 p.m.
    Later that day, Columbus fashion designers will bring out their top designs to be shown on the 80-foot stage as renowned drag queen Nina West introduces each design. Judges will crown on ‘HighBall Couture Costume Designer of the Year,” who will receive a $1,000 prize package.
    Thousands of dollars in cash and prizes will be awarded to costume contest winners in each of five categories: Best Drag King and Queen, Best Celebrity Look-a-Like, Best Tag Team (for teams of two or more people), Simply Splendid and Cirque Fantasy. Contestants can register the night of the even at the HighBall check-in station.
    Dogtober Howoloween encourages pet owners to dress their pets up in creative outfits. Pets can be entered to win prices for Most Whimsical, Most Colorful, Most Outrageous, Best Duo (owner and pet) and Most Fabulous Costume. Details and registration information are available online at http://www.highballhalloween.com.

Diesha

VIP Tickets are now on SALE!!!

Want to experience HighBall like never before? Be our VIP Guest.

The VIP Tent includes:

* Front Row Seats to the Couture Fashion Show. You will have your own area front of stage to view the designs and costume contestants during the competitions.

* Access to the VIP Tent. This is where your pre-show fun begins! The VIP Tent is located outside in a private parking lot near the back of the stage. It is heated and offers comfortable seating in a plush atmosphere.

* Complimentary Appetizers. You will be served a wide variety of foods from restaurants of the Short North Arts District.

* Private Bar. You will have access to your own bar that features beer, Ketel One and Cranberry, Captain and hot cider, and water and soda.

* A parking pass. Avoid the hassle of finding a parking spot by cruising right into the VIP parking area, conveniently located directly across the street from the VIP Tent.

* Meet the Designers. You will see the designs first! You will see the sketches of the couture costumes and watch them come to life as the designers and their models mingle in the VIP Tent prior to hitting the runway.

* 2010 VIP Tent tickets are now available beginning at $50 per ticket. Act fast! The ticket price will be $60 after October 15th.

Visit http://www.highballhalloween.com

twitter/highballhallown

Diesha

With only a few weeks to go, our Highball Halloween committee is in full blown planning mode. And with high fashion, fun for kids and dog costumes the excitement of Highball 2010 Curiouser and Curiouser has already begun.

When asked what the funnest part of planning is Carmen Owens of Surly Girl Saloon replied, “Doing the promotion has been so much fun! Getting out on the street in costume and getting people excited about the event.”

After walking to district as the Mad Hatter during the October Gallery Hop committee chairman, Charly Bauer of Jeni’s Ice Cream is “most excited about the VIP and the staging area. This year we will have a high-end experience with a heated tent, private bar, and front stage viewing. Get your tickets now, they are only $50 before October 15th.

In order to make the VIP tent a reality Kasey Skobel-Conyers, of Bliss Wedding and Event Design, says “When it comes to planning organization is key and so is trusting your team. I think the most fun has been dreaming up the design and the day of the event when it all comes together is one of my favorite moments”.

SNBA Membership Director Jessica Stopp has taken charge of this year’s Dogtober, Dog Costume Contest. “I’m really looking forward to seeing the fabulous dog costumes pet owners bring to the show.”

The Kid Zone, organized by Sarah Delay of Little Dreamers Big Believers Daycare, will be full of Halloween excitement. The Shazzbotz, a kids rock band, will be performing. And there is a bounce house, clown, costumed mini-masques. Jeni’s Ice Cream will serve the kids during the kids fashion show.

The focal point of the event is the Costume Couture Fashion Showdown. It features 11 professional designers who compete for the title of Costume of the Year. “In the costume fitting meetings and hair & make-up consultations the committee is learning how incredibly talented they each are and will bring to the runway unique individuality in their designs.” says Diesha Condon, Senior Director Short North Business Association.

The CW produced a commercial that is being shown before all the movies at the Arena Grand Movie Theater during the entire month of October. Watch the video now…

Visit http://www.highballhalloween.com
    twitter/highballhallown

Charly

The 2010 HighBall Halloween will feature a 50ft Video Display. So if you’ve got what it takes to make the runway, you’ll make up here too.

It should look something like this:

The image is from Kevin Kerr’s winning piece in the 2008 Costume Couture Fashion Showdown.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Very cool. Getting excited for Highball! :D

Diesha

I visited Costume Specialties, huge inventory, great ideas, and the best wigs!
    I want to hear what everyone is planning for their costumes.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

will the lay-out of the event differ from last year? gawd, i hope so. the stage bottle-necked the crowd somethin’ horrible leaving people either stranded on one side of the stage or the other with no way to fight through the crowd to find your friends.

Diesha, did you go to BGSU? Not a common name and if my long lost memory serves me right, there was a “Diesha” there…hmmm

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

the wife and I are going as characters from “The Worst Witch”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Nitsud Regnifloh wrote >>
    will the lay-out of the event differ from last year? gawd, i hope so. the stage bottle-necked the crowd somethin’ horrible leaving people either stranded on one side of the stage or the other with no way to fight through the crowd to find your friends.

Yeah, it’s been reconfigured and moved a bit too. Click the map below to view a larger version:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: