Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

High St. 1988

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion High St. 1988

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • Author

ricospaz
    Participant

I thought that City Center was fairly magical as a young adult. young bloods getting gunned down on the escalator did nothing for that place either. Suburban parents like mine didn’t want their kids getting mixed up with that. Now it’s at Easton. Yay!

cbus11

City Center was a rather nice place to go at lunch to look around and then choose from the variety at the food court. To my recollection the downward spiral started around 2002 or 3.

sirlancelot
    Participant

When I moved to Columbus, Summer 1988, it was hot as hell. I lived at the old youth hostel (demolished some years ago) on East 12th, for a while. There was a homeless girl that slept on a poncho behind the building and next to an alley. I’ve often wondered what happened to her (I hope she got rescued). High Street is cleaner, and perhaps safer today, but not as fun. I miss Mustards! My impression is that people were all much less serious back then, even we youngsters. I’m glad I am not a young college student today because the future appears to suck.

ricospaz
    Participant

Going to Purity and having black goo drip on you.. but a great time anyway. It was so much easier to get away with underage drinking back then too. Of course it’s been years for me, so I don’t know the new methods for today’s thirsty 17-20 somethings… Licking the X off, wetting the stamp and stamping another hand with that… stealing beers…. being lucky enough to ‘know’ someone… good times.

JackieC
    Participant

Home movies from around downtown Columbus circa 1965. Found via r/columbus

bjones7
    Participant

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I wondering what was being built?

mrpoppinzs

bjones7 said:
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I wondering what was being built?

looks like the capitol square parking garage to me.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I can safely say the person filming was fascinated by the Capitol’s underground parking garage. Also lol Goldwater.

GCrites80s
    Participant

I can’t tell where half this stuff is. The late ’60s and ’70s were so destructive around here and my memories only go back to about ’82. Like the parade looks like it’s on campus but… and I have no idea where the supermaket, library and beer cave was.

Urban Dansigner
    Participant

I like the tanks on East Broad, passing by the old Wendy’s (Catholic Foundation) … before their was a Wendy’s (founded 1969).

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

The parade looks like it is coming west on Broad Street downtown. Always love seeing this old videos and pictures. Was that 670 or one of the other downtown highways under construction near the beginning of the video?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I remember seeing the Goldwater campaign train passing by Kenwood Elementary on the C&O line.

timothywgray
    Participant

So, this only showed the east side of high street as the photographer headed south. Any footage of the west side of the street?

Does anyone know what was the sleazy bar that was across the street from Taylor Tower, at the corner of Lane and High street? There used to be a Burger King across from it. That is where the denizens of North Campus used to hang out. It had a patio that opened to the street….It was there in the 1980’s but it has since been closed. (According to Google Street View, it was torn down, and replaced with the Buffalo Wild Wings.)

Obnoxious jerks used to drink there until all hours of the morning, and sing along to old Lynard Skynard songs. You haven’t lived until you tried to study for a calculus test, while drunken ignoramuses are singing along to “Freebird” off-key. Good times.

I recall distinctly one game they used to play: Whenever a woman drove by, they used to scream “Show us your tits!” Imagine that! Some female corporate lawyer, driving home from work downtown, and drunkards were screaming at her to show them her tits! I don’t think those drunkards ever got to see them, however. Good times.

Pro Se
    Participant

Wasn’t that place called Quarters? At least that was what it went by back in 2000…

derm
    derm
    Participant

Might have been Spring Break.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: