Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

High St. 1988

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion High St. 1988

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author

titleistcm
    Participant

Has anyone seen this video? It’s so amazing to see all that has changed, as well as remained the same. The two things that got me excited here was that South Campus still existed, and you can see City Center had just begun construction! The city sure has grown up, mostly in a positive way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB2Z08za1vI

jbcmh81
    Participant

titleistcm said:
    Has anyone seen this video? It’s so amazing to see all that has changed, as well as remained the same. The two things that got me excited here was that South Campus still existed, and you can see City Center had just begun construction! The city sure has grown up, mostly in a positive way.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I’ve seen this before. Definitely significant changes to Campus, and to Downtown. Too bad they didn’t video much of the Short North.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Very cool! I’ve not see this video, but I have watched the 1985 campus videos several times…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anyway… interesting to see Downtown High Street in 1985. Looks like this was prior to the conversion into the “bus mall” format. You can see Lafayette Street open to High next to The Elevator at 2:07 (its a dead end now).

Woolworths! at 2:28

Looks like Chapel Street/Alley was open to High Street at the Lazarus Building (2:31). Weird!

The building of City Center! (2:34)

For all that we see here that is missing from our past, there’s a lot more that’s missing that we now have today. ;)

Pablo
    Participant

Pretty cool – I was a student at OSU in 88. Agreed walker – a lot has changed for the better. They probably didn’t include the SN because it was still pretty run down.

The convention center was just a parking lot for the Ohio Center.

The 5/3 building at State & High wasn’t built yet.

The bike I still ride today was purchased at Cross Country Bike.

A lot of memories on High St….

ZHC

man I sure remember what downtown was like back then. That’s cool to see it again.

I miss a lot of our old neighbors, the hood sure has changed since then. In some ways good and some bad.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Awesome, I love to see videos like this.

patient_zero
    Participant

This looks like the Fall of ’88, the year of a really hot and dry Summer. I was a junior at OSU, in the National Guard and OSU ROTC. Washington State was cooler than Ohio, but just as dry. We had to put out a few fires during training exercises that year. I guess you can say ’88 was burned into my brain. My roommate worked at 55 On The Boulevard (on Nationwide Boulevard).

A few places I can point out:

Rax Restaurant
    (old) Ohio Union
    Skyline Chili/Insomnia Cafe
    Street Scene
    Dexter’s
    the gyro shop at 9th and High (name?)
    Mean Mr. Mustard’s
    Mother Fletchers
    Spring Break (yuck)
    Big Bear Bakeries – kind of industrial for a university setting
    Buckeye Carryout

^Even though a still have a soft spot in my hard for the seedy S.Campus area, Campus Partners really cleaned up that area north of 9th and High. It’s no less crime free, but has a lot more curb appeal for students, parents and visitors.

The blinking neon Convention Center logos made me laugh when he pulled in the loading area. I was surprised to see the trashy looking whirlpool store directly across from the Convention Center. Welcome to Columbus, huh?

It was pretty awesome to see the old Woolworth’s and Lazarus stores downtown, though. I miss both of them.

Here’s the longer uncut version:

leftovers

I can imagine that 1988 must have been a very exciting time for downtown. If there was a Columbus Underground BBS back then I am sure it would have been filled with high expectations of a booming downtown. The skyscraper building frenzy was just ending and City Center Mall was being built, while some original downtown retailers were still in business (lazarus, woolworths, and it seems several clothiers). I would probably have thought that housing would follow. I would have thought downtown was a ringer.

cheap

that was the year there was a huge drought down south.it didn’t rain all frigging summer.

i believe a couple NASCAR drivers,Tim Richmond and Harry Gant met at the Ohio fairgrounds and drove semis full of hay to Georgia and Alabama.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing that!

– Funny to see the old Bank One logo… (0:26)
    – Some of the Nationwide office towers under construction (Nationwide 3?) (3:45)
    – Building at SW corner of Long & High! No longer there… (4:16)
    – Looks like Elm Street is open to High (dead-ended now) (4:22)
    – Lots of overhead power lines and lines for stoplights Downtown!
    – The Canopy is still up in front of the Huntington Center (only came down a few years ago) (5:21)
    – Wow! That’s a big honkin’ camcorder! (In the side mirror at 6:45)

– German Village hasn’t changed at all.

leftovers

I wish I could go back and tell them to buy some property in the SN or Italian Village. I think that VV was already well into its gentrification even in ’88.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

leftovers said:
    If there was a Columbus Underground BBS back then I am sure it would have been filled with high expectations of a booming downtown.

I’m sure there were plenty of local BBSes in 1988, though probably not very widely utilized by the common citizen. ;) Just uber-nerds.

I was running a BBS myself in Marysville as a kid, but that wasn’t until 1992-ish. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

leftovers said:
    I wish I could go back and tell them to buy some property in the SN or Italian Village.

Or, you could just buy some property in Franklinton, Weinland Park, The KLD or on Parsons today. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: