Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Help with Commercial Building Code

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Help with Commercial Building Code

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

zp945
    Participant

Anyone on here familiar with city code for commercial kitchens? I am having trouble finding an answer about exhaust hoods. The city website says the code has been replaced by ordinance 1404-99 but then skips right from 1403 to 1405. I have called the city everyday for several days and can get no help. Anyone how can help please PM me. Thanks.

swan
    Participant

which code are you using… the 2007 ohio building code? im assuming this is for columbus? or does your jurisdiction use the 2005 obc?

well maybe i can help, whats the specific question.

zp945
    Participant

I am trying to figure out if I will need a type I or type II exhaust hood over a gas deck pizza oven. The store will be on High street somewhere between Broad and 5th. OMC says I need type II, but I found something from the city saying that NFPA standards override the OMC?

yeah i would contact a HVAC contractor. they would most likely give you free estimate. the health dept cant help you on that? all of the restaurants ive renovated never had the kitchens touched. so when it comes to equipment im honestly clueless.

swan
    Participant

who have you been contacting at the city? you should call the Building Services Division and ask to speak to a commercial building inspector… I’m sure he could answer your question (or give you a call back within a day).

zp945
    Participant

I finally got someone at the manufacturer to give me a contact number at the city. Got right thru and had my question answered in a matter of minutes, OMC is correct. I guess it is all about having the right phone number. Thanks for your help.

HeySquare
    Participant

Just as a question… what number/office did you originally call?

Did you try 311?

CbusIslander
    Participant

:lol: code questions on CU. Wow. Type II hood in your case since you are dealing with gas deck. If it was “wood burning” Type I would have been needed. Was that the answer you received?

zp945
    Participant

I called the Building Services Division at 645-7433. 311 does not work on my VoIP phone and my cell phone thinks I am trying to find a contact.

And yes a Type II hood is the answer I received.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE