Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Help Needed - What would make Ohio/Columbus Cool?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Help Needed – What would make Ohio/Columbus Cool?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 217 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m going to be on All Sides with Ann Fisher tomorrow at 10am to talk about Governor Kasich’s quest to make Ohio cool.

So my question to everyone is simple… what would make Ohio cool? ;) If you have good suggestions, we may talk about them on the air. Tune in at 89.7fm or online at http://wosu.org/allsides/.

JonMyers
    Participant

LULZ… @ Kasich on a cool quest.

2thDoc
    Participant

Loaded question. The answers can range from less red tape to sunglasses for all Ohioans. My vote is to improve everything. Not everything is broken, but if he could make everything better, that would be cool.

swan
    Participant

a light rail!

Wickham

More financial support for the development of the major urban centers in Ohio along with better public transportation options to reach those destinations.

anillo
    Participant

TRAAAAAAAAIN

thecandlelab
    Participant

More development (economic and structural) at the heart of Ohio’s communities, and less sterile disconnected malls. In other words, more Short North and Grandview Avenue and less Easton/Polaris/Mill Run/Crosswoods/City Center.

How cool would it be if the places we ate and shopped were connected to the places where people lived and gathered, rather than assembled around an unacceptable food court?

anillo
    Participant

And more candles.

Andrew Hall

I have an answer for you to use which is political, but not particular to any leaning :

Cool is being proactive, having a plan, an idea of what makes you and what to do about it. Kasich and his administration are not ‘cool’ and will never be ‘cool’ because everything they have done so far is reactive. Every thought they have is purely in reaction or opposition to something else. Even worse, it is routinely derisive without ever proposing an alternative.

It is isn’t that trains are ‘cool.’ It is that thinking about the problems – like decaying infrastructure, rising fuel costs and ultimately how to keep the people of Ohio (urban/suburban/ex-urban/rural) with the lifestyles they want – is cool.

A.

colrex7

Focusing our economic growth on emerging industries (such as high-tech industries). And not forgetting local businesses, farmers, smaller companies; because these sectors attract unique local environments and enhance cultural experiences. Which make a place desirable.

Investing in progressive infrastructure. By spending more emphasis on biking, walkways, train services, green infrastructure and other alternative ways to get around. This will bring Ohio up to par with perceived “cool” places.

Honestly, I think cool-ness will come to Ohio when people believe it themselves. Embracing Ohio’s strengths and building off those strengths are crucial if Ohio will appear cool to outsiders.

colrex7 wrote >>
    Focusing our economic growth on emerging industries (such as high-tech industries).

[i]Friends suggest that Columbus is at the forefront of social media marketing. Cool fashion design permeates the city flowing from the[/i] larger fashion market here.

colrex7 wrote >>
    Investing in progressive infrastructure. By spending more emphasis on biking.

[i]Better East/West bike corridors, fo’ sho'[/i]

colrex7 wrote >>
    Honestly, I think cool-ness will come to Ohio when people believe it themselves.

[i]Well said…[/i]

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    Every thought they have is purely in reaction or opposition to something else. Even worse, it is routinely derisive without ever proposing an alternative.
    It is isn’t that trains are ‘cool.’ It is that thinking about the problems – like decaying infrastructure, rising fuel costs and ultimately how to keep the people of Ohio (urban/suburban/ex-urban/rural) with the lifestyles they want – is cool.
    A.

YES

tree_sketcher
    Participant

Fun thread. I agree people in Ohio need to be more proud of Ohio and stop treating it as a punchline. IMO, The coolest part of Ohio is that opportunity abounds for young people. ‘Owning’ something tangible (small business, real estate, education, etc.) is much more readily attainable here than in other big cities.

Otherwise:

1. Obviously high speed rail would be awesome for Ohio. If a true HSR system is built from NY/DC through Ohio to Chicago; Columbus/Cleveland could be a 2-3 hour train ride to Chicago/NY/DC/Philly/pittsburgh etc. What a huge growth asset for Ohio cities.
    2. Celebrate creativity: art/architecture/science/tech/etc.
    3. Make ‘sustainable’ efforts more visible
    4. Create distinctive parks and public environments.
    5. A few more wacky new buildings mixed with our awesome historic architecture
    6. Play up our many, many outdoor recreational opportunities (biking, camping, kayaking/boating, hunting/fishing, golf, etc.)
    7. Local Food
    8. Industrial heritage is cool looking
    9. Ohio has ‘REAL’ and rich history.

joev
    Participant

Yep. Coolness comes from pride. Ohioans need to realize the great things we have here, and stop being ashamed to live here. Problem is, John Kasich is doing almost everything he can (and some things he may not have the authority to) do to destroy the state. John Kasich makes the state uncool.

What would make Ohio “cool”?

Making our apparently unwittingly uncool governor do a perp walk for his uncoolness.

Creating organic, vibrant communities in cities and towns throughout the state and connecting them by rail and streetcars.

More parks and greenspace; Clean waterways and lakes.

Affordable quality townhomes and similar living options that aren’t priced only for people with an M.D. or J.D. after their name.

Portland-style growth/land use boundaries that preserve green space and limit suburban sprawl.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 217 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.