Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Help me understand the hate for Mayor Coleman

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Help me understand the hate for Mayor Coleman

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 91 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Gig3000

Waiting….

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Another Columbus ghost: before City Center, there was the Halle’s store on that site. It closed and later burned, and they tipped a ladder fire truck. IIRC they had to bring in a wrecking ball to open the front of the building to get at the fire.

Before it was Halle’s, it was the Union #1 store.

cheap

Walker said:

So tell us, oh wise one, what exact projects are developers planning on building in 2032, since you’re aware of these things 20 years out. I want to hear specifics.

see,walker,it’s that damn sprawl plague.it’s taking over the world,leaving burnt cinders in it’s path.

you actually posted a 50 year old video where devellopers were actually predicting the destruction of this planet through sprawl,and they suggested using cul de sacs to stem the sprawl virus.

if devellopers can predict what is being develloped 50 years ahead,im sure they can use common sense and know that building a frigging mall downtown when NOBODY
    lives there was STUPID.

walker,downtown to me is just one big playground for devellopers.

they are just throwing shit up and seeing if the stuff sticks to the wall.

if they build it,and it doesnt work out,no problem.

just default on the loan,and columbus city council will just buy it

mrpoppinzs

ChrisSunami said:
    I don’t know if this is true or not, but I’d always heard that Wexner originally wanted to be in charge of developing a urban downtown mall, but when the city leadership of the time –pre Coleman –turned him down in favor of the City-Center suburban-style fortress, he went out and built the artificial downtown environment called Easton instead. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I think that is a myth. From what I have been told Wexner was a very good friend of the City Center developer and early supporter of its development. That is what got him to put so many of the Limited Brands as original tenants in the City Center Mall.

I have always seen Easton as Les Wexner’s version of Disney World (wanting more of a buffer).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cheap said:
    if devellopers can predict what is being develloped 50 years ahead,im sure they can use common sense and know that building a frigging mall downtown when NOBODY
    lives there was STUPID.

Nobody lived at Easton when Easton was built, and nobody live at Polaris when Polaris was built. Those areas have grown in population over time, but large-scale mall development is generally a form “destination retail”. Easton and Polaris were not designed to serve only people within a small neighborhood-type radius. They serve the entire region.

City Center was designed to be a regional mall as well. It didn’t fail because no one lived within walking distance. It failed for several other reasons.

cheap said:
    walker,downtown to me is just one big playground for devellopers. they are just throwing shit up and seeing if the stuff sticks to the wall. if they build it,and it doesnt work out,no problem. just default on the loan,and columbus city council will just buy it.

This isn’t something unique to Downtown Columbus. Developers are more than willing to abandon developments in suburban areas leaving taxpayers to pick up the tab for demolition or re-use while the developer heads for greener pastures. The exact same thing happened with Northland Mall, as well as several other smaller projects locally. You could probably find plenty of examples of this practice all over the country in areas both suburban and urban.

Anyway, not sure what this has to do with Coleman.

cheap

Walker said:
    City Center was designed to be a regional mall as well. It didn’t fail because no one lived within walking distance. It failed for several other reasons.

i am sure it did

Walker said:
    Anyway, not sure what this has to do with Coleman.

ill tell you what it has to do with Coleman

Coleman should have done the same thing with the Arena he did with city center.

he should have had the Arena demolished,and just admit the place was a mistake

just like city center.

this is Columbus,Ohio.this isn’t Las Vegas or Chicago.

this town is overbuilt when it comes to entertainment venues.

pilsner
    Participant

Cheap makes a good point. Two 20,000 seat arenas five miles apart was a sure-fire failure.

But Coleman did a big favor for Nationwide, the Wolfes and the McConnells by privitizing the profits and socializing the losses.

Viewing 7 posts - 91 through 97 (of 97 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: