Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Help me understand the hate for Mayor Coleman

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Help me understand the hate for Mayor Coleman

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Polis
    Participant

I’m not really familiar with what components of the plan have been implemented, but I would think Capital Crossroads and CDDC are major players in this since they manage the SID among other things. It’s kind of strange the plan says the city embarked on a mission to revitalize Downtown in 2002 but the Capital Crossroads site kinda says they were the ones to do it, haha.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It was certainly a collaborative effort with multiple organizations.

I screwed up the HTML on the last post, but just fixed the link to the PDF:

http://www.downtowncolumbus.com/publications/2002DTPlan_ExecSummary.pdf

The plan basically laid all of the groundwork for Gay Street, Riversouth, Columbus Commons, Scioto Mile, and all of the condo development that occurred throughout Downtown.

Essentially, everything was implemented from the plan except that the renovation of the City Center Mall took a different form, and the housing goal of 10,000 residents fell short due to the national recession and housing market collapse.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Polis said:
    What I should say is I did not mean to define sprawl as having too much retail, but rather it seemed like cheap was referring to that issue.

OK, got you.

I haven’t lived in Columbus very long but from what I can tell looking at the land use changes over a few decades it’s apparent the council and mayor’s offices, for decades, have allowed sprawl to continue to this day.

I don’t think you can appreciate the mayor unless you’ve lived in Columbus over the long term and seen what a difference his administration has made. Before him we had a string of mayors who seemed determined to privilege the suburbs over their own city. The strides this city has made during his term have been incredible.

cheap

ChrisSunami said:
    Before him we had a string of mayors who seemed determined to privilege the suburbs over their own city. The strides this city has made during his term have been incredible.

lmao,come on now.

he’s no different at all.

was Coleman mayor when city center was built?

how about nationwide arena?

Coleman is kissing ass with downtown because it’s got devellopers of sardine cans
    everywhere.
    in 5 years,it will be so frigging jammed downtown,you’ll be wanting to move to perimeter loop.lol

DavidF
    Participant

cheap said:
    lmao,come on now.

he’s no different at all.

was Coleman mayor when city center was built?

how about nationwide arena?

Coleman is kissing ass with downtown because it’s got devellopers of sardine cans
    everywhere.
    in 5 years,it will be so frigging jammed downtown,you’ll be wanting to move to perimeter loop.lol

We can only hope. That would be a huge success worth celebrating.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Walker said:
    Greener grass.

Less grass, more food gardens

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    Do you mention your ideas for sanctioned cannibalism on dates? Could explain a lot.

How RUDE of you to suggest I’m THAT out of touch. For your information, I usually break the ice by reading aloud passages from The Humanure Handbook. An apology from you is in order.

sirlancelot
    Participant

Hate Mayor Coleman? No. Over the past 20 years, I note that City Council is as much to blame for some of the boondoggles here. An example of bad choices or planning was the City Center Mall project. When Columbus permitted development of Easton, Tuttle Mall and Polaris, that effectively killed City Center and older, established malls.

Just how many times does it take to install wheelchair accessible sidewalks downtown? How much money did Columbus pay to redo the SAME locations? As someone who walks to work, I counted, over a period of years, FIVE attempts at the SAME locations downtown. Usually, if the contractor screws up a project, they pay for the correction. In Chicago, this is called politics.

I could go on. You can’t hate a mayor who tries to boost Columbus. Put much of the blame on a less than effective city council and a powerful elite that have their own agenda. Their agenda does not necessarily jive with ordinary citizens.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

sirlancelot said:
    Hate Mayor Coleman? No. Over the past 20 years, I note that City Council is as much to blame for some of the boondoggles here. An example of bad choices or planning was the City Center Mall project. When Columbus permitted development of Easton, Tuttle Mall and Polaris, that effectively killed City Center and older, established malls.

If Columbus said NO to Tuttle, Easton and Polaris, then developers would have just built them right outside the city of Columbus in suburban cities or other municipalities. And then Columbus would not only have *still* lost the older malls, but also would not have any of the jobs or tax revenue of the newer developments.

cheap

sirlancelot said:
    When Columbus permitted development of Easton, Tuttle Mall and Polaris, that effectively killed City Center and older, established malls.

it was actually stupid for devellopers to build a mall downtown

tuttle polaris and easton were all coming.

sirlancelot said:
    I could go on. You can’t hate a mayor who tries to boost Columbus. Put much of the blame on a less than effective city council and a powerful elite that have their own agenda. Their agenda does not necessarily jive with ordinary citizens.

agreed

GCrites80s
    Participant

The mall industry knows that downtown malls generally don’t work. The construction of downtown malls was an experiment to see if shopping lost to the suburbs would return to downtown if the form and tenant mix from the suburbs was cloned. Attempts to turn urban areas suburban one fail due to disruption of the urban fabric and the different tastes of urban dwellers when compared with suburbanites.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cheap said:
    it was actually stupid for devellopers to build a mall downtown. tuttle polaris and easton were all coming.

You knew that in the mid-to-late-80s?

Sounds like you’ve got an extreme case of acute hindsight.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I don’t know if this is true or not, but I’d always heard that Wexner originally wanted to be in charge of developing a urban downtown mall, but when the city leadership of the time –pre Coleman –turned him down in favor of the City-Center suburban-style fortress, he went out and built the artificial downtown environment called Easton instead. Can anyone confirm or deny?

cheap

Walker said:
    You knew that in the mid-to-late-80s?

Sounds like you’ve got an extreme case of acute hindsight.

anybody with half a brain would know things were blowing up in this town in the mid to late 80’s

devellopers arent stupid,they know what other people have going on.

the writing was on the wall.

building a mall downtown was a sucker move,just like building an arena downtown after another one was already built a few miles away.

by the way,why didn’t columbus city council just buy city center mall and give everybody a break on the rent?

im sure closing city center cost Columbus over 500,000 jobs,if you go by Coleman’s method of counting jobs.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cheap said:
    anybody with half a brain would know things were blowing up in this town in the mid to late 80’s

That’s not what you said before. You said that “tuttle polaris and easton were all coming” at the time that City Center was being planned and built in the mid-to-late 80s, twenty full years prior.

If you were referring to them specifically and just speaking in generalities, then yeah, you’re not really saying anything new. New stuff gets built given enough time. Bravo.

I assume that by the same token you think that Northland, Westland, Southland and Eastland were all stupid for developers to build because they’ve eventually be replaced by something else. And that Tuttle, Easton and Polaris are all stupid because they’ll all eventually be replaced by something else. Everything is stupid, right?

So tell us, oh wise one, what exact projects are developers planning on building in 2032, since you’re aware of these things 20 years out. I want to hear specifics.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 97 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: