Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Help me understand the hate for Mayor Coleman

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Help me understand the hate for Mayor Coleman

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Gig3000

Sorry for your luck Tom LOL

jbcmh81
    Participant

TomOver said:
    I’ve interviewed Mayor Coleman for WCRS and have spoken with him here and there. I appreciate his support for cycling.

But, to be honest, as someone who’s seen our mayor out and about, there is one thing about him that makes me not like him, and it cancels out whatever other good things he may be doing : he seems to get laid more than I do.

Do you mention your ideas for sanctioned cannibalism on dates? Could explain a lot.

Coy
    Participant

The only thing that ever really struck me about Coleman was that when we were in the middle of closing a bunch of rec centers and kids programs around downtown, the Lincoln theatre was being built. There was an article in one of the local papers talking about how the balcony section cost an extra million to build, but that Coleman insisted upon it because he “had to have his balcony”, or some such nonsense.
    The Lincoln Theatre is great, but it was completely tone deaf at the time to make a remark like that…

leftovers

I like the mayor and think he is doing a reasonable job. I agree with the comments on the Lincoln theater/rec centers etc. It does seem he and city council are very comfortable with their hold on power and this allows them to maybe have a sense of entitlement with certain pet projects or agendas.

Gig3000

Right Leftover….very well said.

groundrules
    Participant

leftovers said:
    I like the mayor and think he is doing a reasonable job. I agree with the comments on the Lincoln theater/rec centers etc. It does seem he and city council are very comfortable with their hold on power and this allows them to maybe have a sense of entitlement with certain pet projects or agendas.

I think if a politician doesn’t have an agenda, then he’s got not much business holding office. I personally have less of a problem with the mayor throwing his weight around to revitalize and arts space and build a neighborhood signature point than many of the other ways in which he might use his powers to be a dick.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Coy said:
    The only thing that ever really struck me about Coleman was that when we were in the middle of closing a bunch of rec centers and kids programs around downtown, the Lincoln theatre was being built. There was an article in one of the local papers talking about how the balcony section cost an extra million to build, but that Coleman insisted upon it because he “had to have his balcony”, or some such nonsense.
    The Lincoln Theatre is great, but it was completely tone deaf at the time to make a remark like that…

The Rec Centers were closing Spring-Summer 2009 as the budget issues were in full swing in advance of the tax increase. There was a shortfall in operational funds, and they were one of the many things being cut.

City budget solutions are not completely required

The Lincoln Theatre held it’s grand opening in May of 2009. The funding to renovate the theatre was invested and committed to the project long before that.

The Lincoln Theatre Hosts Grand Opening Today

While they happened around the same time, there were two completely different timelines and different “buckets” of money. Even if the Mayor decided that he wanted to cancel funding for the theater to keep rec centers open that summer, I don’t know if he would have the ability to shift that money from one project to another in that fashion.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

This is ridiculous. We’re a city doing well in a state doing badly during bad economic times. We have the best bond rating in the country for a city of our size. We have a budget surplus. All the rec centers were reopened and the Lincoln theater is making a profit. What more do people want?

mrpoppinzs

I think there has been a bit of preference to some areas, such as the KLD while other areas such as the Westside seem neglected. This probably is common in administrations.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ChrisSunami said:
    This is ridiculous. We’re a city doing well in a state doing badly during bad economic times. We have the best bond rating in the country for a city of our size. We have a budget surplus. All the rec centers were reopened and the Lincoln theater is making a profit. What more do people want?

Greener grass.

Gig3000

chris sunami:This is ridiculous. We’re a city doing well in a state doing badly during bad economic times. We have the best bond rating in the country for a city of our size. We have a budget surplus. All the rec centers were reopened and the Lincoln theater is making a profit. What more do people want?

Use that budget surplus to allow the Whitney condos to be purchased?

Gig3000

Gig3000 said:
    chris sunami:This is ridiculous. We’re a city doing well in a state doing badly during bad economic times. We have the best bond rating in the country for a city of our size. We have a budget surplus. All the rec centers were reopened and the Lincoln theater is making a profit. What more do people want?

Use that budget surplus to allow the Whitney condos to be purchased? Don’t delete my membership please Walker….

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Gig3000 said:

Use that budget surplus to allow the Whitney condos to be purchased?

maybe every thread on this entire website could somehow relate to the whitney condos and how they could be purchased, even though no body wants to purchase them? that would be really cool!

cheap

Snarf said:
    maybe every thread on this entire website could somehow relate to the whitney condos and how they could be purchased, even though no body wants to purchase them? that would be really cool!

no shit

GCrites80s
    Participant

TomOver said:
    I’ve interviewed Mayor Coleman for WCRS and have spoken with him here and there. I appreciate his support for cycling.

But, to be honest, as someone who’s seen our mayor out and about, there is one thing about him that makes me not like him, and it cancels out whatever other good things he may be doing : he seems to get laid more than I do.

I picture him and Mayor Mallory (Cincinnati, single last I heard) out prowling together when they visit each other’s cities.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 97 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: