Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Help me understand the hate for Mayor Coleman

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Help me understand the hate for Mayor Coleman

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Andrew Hall said:
    If I remember correctly, the hate directed to Mayor Coleman is nothing compared to Bucky Reinhart. (Lashutka was so low key, you hardly knew we had a Mayor – for good or ill.) My memories is that the major media has no problem trumpeting whatever came down the pike about Bucky.

When the lead story is the claim of a baby sitter waking up with Mayor Mike sucking on her toes, then we will have problems.

(Hopefully my memory is right on that one …)

A.

My memory is shaky at best too, but I think you’re right. I do remember from some press reports (and morning show DJ jokes), apparently it wasn’t her toes he was trying to suck on. If reports at the time were to be believed. :( For a while back then I remember hearing oral sex occasionally referred to jokingly as as ‘a Reinhart wake-up call’. That all went quietly away so fast one has to assume there was nothing to it or it would have been actual jail time.

You had to love the guy, though, even if ya hated him. His attempt to goad the state into finally handing over the Penn land by driving a bulldozer into it was photo-op gold! If I never mentioned it, ask me sometime what a retired fire inspector told me about how the wall of the Penn finally actually fell (onto a car). Which led to….

Lashutka was low-key. I totally agree with your assessment of him. He was *really* good at staying out of the limelight. His entire term was built on annexation and letting developers make all the other decisions. The only thing people remember from him now was his strong support of publicly funding the arena project and saying it wouldn’t happen unless voters approved funding to help nationwide build it. He did not get voted out, he quit for “health reasons” and did not ask for reelection shortly after the arena thing, possibly to allow a more favorably viewed republican candidate to run in ’99? I cannot remember now who that candidate was.

I guess that maybe a certain amount of negative press is just the price every pol has to pay to keep the public attention. When you actually push to DO a bunch of stuff you make both friends and enemies with each one. Coleman and Bucky both put themselves in front of a bunch of projects and ideas that they wanted to push for knowing nobody is going to like every idea any pol has but when you push for a LOT of things it prevents putting all your eggs in one basket as Lashutka did.

While we’re back there, lets not forget Mayor “I’m not drunk, I’m just out inspecting the city” Moody. Classic!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

We need to have Coleman get into a long expensive affair with an undocumented exotic dancer, then flee to Cedar Bog. Then Miami FL would sit up and take notice of us.

pez said:
    Always a good idea to publicly post your intentions to commit a felony.

Please don’t tell me we are all hiding behind these silly handles for no reason.

DavidF
    Participant

TheyCallMeTBone said:
    Please don’t tell me we are all hiding behind these silly handles for no reason.

Some of us aren’t so anonymous.

pilsner
    Participant

Rush Limbaugh publically encouraged Republicans to meddle in the 2008 Democratic primary hoping that an extended Clinton/Obama race would cause a civil war within the party and neither candidate would have enuff delegates going into the Convention.

Google “Operation Chaos” and you’ll see NPR stories quoting Republican voters admitting that they meddled in the Dem primary. The media seemed to get a chuckle from Operation Chaos and none of Limbaugh’s mininions were prosecuted.

I actually agree with 75% of Ron Paul’s policy positions. The GOP voters for Hillary Clinton agreed with 0% for what she stands for.

blockquote>pez said:
    Since I doubt you actually support the principles of the Republican Party, signing said affidavid would be election falsification. Always a good idea to publicly post your intentions to commit a felony.

cheap

Rockmastermike said:
    The only thing people remember from him now was his strong support of publicly funding the arena project and saying it wouldn’t happen unless voters approved funding to help nationwide build it. He did not get voted out, he quit for “health reasons” and did not ask for reelection shortly after the arena thing, possibly to allow a more favorably viewed republican candidate to run in ’99?

i wonder why there was no referendum on the city council buying a failed arena?

Coleman could have forced that,but he’s the Dispatch’s bitch,just like every voice in this town .

Rockmastermike said:
    While we’re back there, lets not forget Mayor “I’m not drunk, I’m just out inspecting the city” Moody. Classic!

i remember seeing Moody’s LeSabre a couple days after the wreck.

the car was crushed.im surprised he wasn’t hurt real bad.

M.O.
    Participant

Ain’t nuthin’ but love for Mayor Mike.

pilsner
    Participant

Spot on, cheap.

cheap said:
    i wonder why there was no referendum on the city council buying a failed arena?

Coleman could have forced that,but he’s the Dispatch’s bitch,just like every voice in this town .

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

cheap said:

That was 5th at I-71, right? He ran a light and put it under a semi?

Pablo
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    I cannot remember now who that candidate was.

Dorothy Teater

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

pilsner said:
    I’m registering as a Republican *gasp* to vote for Ron Paul in the primary. It would be great for some of Ron Paul’s ideas to get the big stage in the General Election.

Restoring the Bill of Rights, end the Empire/wars, end the drug war, hold a real investigation of 9-11, pardon Bradley Manning sound pretty good to me about now.

Sorry, Bradley Manning deserves to spend the rest of his life in jail, preferably sentenced to hard labor. He is not a whistle blower who selected discrete documents to release in order to disclose wrongdoing that was being concealed by inappropriately being classified. He stole every document he could without any thought to their contents and gave them to someone to make public. The documents he stole and released included the names of people helping us in Afghanistan. What do you think the Taliban are going to do to those people? It includes secrets shared with us by other countries. Some things are rightfully kept secret.

cheap

wtf?
    is bradley manning the mayor?

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I was just responding to Pilsner’s comment.

As for the mayor, he is better than many politicians, but we are getting to the point where the city needs some leadership. The civil service in town is hit or miss…too many misses these days. It does not matter which party the mayor belongs to, someone needs to slap some sense into the civil service.

pez
    Participant

pilsner said:
    Rush Limbaugh publically encouraged Republicans to meddle in the 2008 Democratic primary hoping that an extended Clinton/Obama race would cause a civil war within the party and neither candidate would have enuff delegates going into the Convention.

Google “Operation Chaos” and you’ll see NPR stories quoting Republican voters admitting that they meddled in the Dem primary. The media seemed to get a chuckle from Operation Chaos and none of Limbaugh’s mininions were prosecuted.

I actually agree with 75% of Ron Paul’s policy positions. The GOP voters for Hillary Clinton agreed with 0% for what she stands for.

blockquote>pez said:
    Since I doubt you actually support the principles of the Republican Party, signing said affidavid would be election falsification. Always a good idea to publicly post your intentions to commit a felony.

If you choose to use Rush Limbaugh as your moral and ethical compass and do something because he said it was OK, then there’s really not much advice I can give you.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

I’ve interviewed Mayor Coleman for WCRS and have spoken with him here and there. I appreciate his support for cycling.

But, to be honest, as someone who’s seen our mayor out and about, there is one thing about him that makes me not like him, and it cancels out whatever other good things he may be doing : he seems to get laid more than I do.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 97 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: