Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Help me understand the hate for Mayor Coleman

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Help me understand the hate for Mayor Coleman

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Analogue Kid
    Participant

So I’ve noticed especially over the past few months that there have been a great many people on the interwebz and places expressing disdain for the Mayor and pretty much everything he does or has ever done. Personally, I have mixed feelings about him as I feel he has done a lot of good work towards focusing on urban areas but at the same time become somewhat of an arrogant and slimy politician (some might say that’s a redundant description, but I digress).

I can understand people being upset about the proposal for a tax increase and the prospect of cutting services. However, I have a well-educated dear friend who is *convinced* that (and I quote) “Mayor Coleman is the most corrupt official ever”. I’ve heard this echoed by others as well. My question is where the heck are they getting this stuff? I’m pretty up on things and the only thing I’ve heard is one city official suggesting that people who want to do business with the city should contribute to their campaigns (which was furiously backpedaled on). While that’s certainly a troubling allegation, it isn’t close to anything that goes on in say, Chicago or New York. Is there some sort of alternate Bob Conners/John Corby universe? Or what?

If you’re one of the people who dislike the mayor, please explain why! I don’t want to criticize anybody’s views pro or con, I really just want to understand.

HeySquare
    Participant

I honestly just think it is people’s perception of the economy. There has to be a scapegoat.

turnedNOTburned
    Participant

I’ll have to agree with ya, short of any official charges being drawn, I have a hard time believing he is any more corrupt than any other official. Seems like its convenient to hate the head of the snake, rather than the fact that the snake does (and should) exist.

For me, this is about the shrinking of government (or what SHOULD be the shrinking of government) in response to the shrinking tax base and economy. Its tough all around and its time for Mayor Coleman to earn his keep.

Here is wishing him the best of luck….

HeySquare
    Participant

Until we find out that Coleman promoted his gay lover into a high level government position, was indited in a prostution ring, or sold a city council seat, I think we’re doing OK.

Hael

Analogue Kid, ask your friend what he knows about Coleman being corrupt. Any corruption is unacceptable.

Motorist
    Participant

So I understand that he has to be pro-downtown and pro-development but he seems to really like everything that’s going on downtown. Which leads me to believe that one of a couple things is going on with him. One, he doesn’t know shit about urban planning. Or two, he knows about urban planning but doesn’t give a shit because people are building and the repurcussions of the bad design all over won’t be felt until after he’s long gone. Or three, he’s getting kick backs from the developers to allow them to whatever in the hell they want and look happy about it.

But really, I’ve just had a hard time trusting him after he sold Han Solo out to Darth Vader.

I’m not someone who is constantly blaming racism for every problem, but I honestly think with Coleman alot of it (Dispatch comments, etc) is racism. A certain angry white male element will always be hostile towards people of a different race.

Alot of what makes Coleman a great mayor is vision and strategies for continuing to push Columbus far beyond our rust belt peers. Things like putting emphasis on downtown, continued support for gentrified/gentrifying neighborhoods, the street car, and reaching out to the gay community (Coleman practically shared a stage with Nina West at High Ball). A certain element of the genpop is too small minded to understand the importance of long-term planning, courting YPs and the creative class, etc. They just see it as frivolous.

thepiece
    Participant

I think its a combination of the factors above (the economy, general intolerance for pro urban policies) and just a general cultural resistance/push back for political leaders who stay in power for a long time (maybe this push back gets amplified since we have such a strong mayor system here in Columbus)?
    In respect to the corruption question, I don’t think Columbus is really that different than any other place around the country.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Players get haters..

If I remember correctly, the hate directed to Mayor Coleman is nothing compared to Bucky Reinhart. (Lashutka was so low key, you hardly knew we had a Mayor – for good or ill.) My memories is that the major media has no problem trumpeting whatever came down the pike about Bucky.

When the lead story is the claim of a baby sitter waking up with Mayor Mike sucking on her toes, then we will have problems.

(Hopefully my memory is right on that one …)

A.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Analogue Kid wrote >>
    So I’ve noticed especially over the past few months that there have been a great many people on the interwebz and places expressing disdain for the Mayor and pretty much everything he does or has ever done.

I’ve heard these types of complaints as long as I can remember.

People who complain about the Mayor being the source of all that is wrong in the City of Columbus are the same type of people who complain about the President being the source of all that is wrong in the country. No matter who the leader is, they just want a single person to lay the blame on because they don’t want to think about issues being any more complex than “It’s THAT guy’s fault”.

hivner1

I’ve long sung the Mayor’s praises, but the recent tax-threats against rec centers, police and firefighters are a great cause for concern.

Hael

Walker wrote >>

Analogue Kid wrote >>
    So I’ve noticed especially over the past few months that there have been a great many people on the interwebz and places expressing disdain for the Mayor and pretty much everything he does or has ever done.

I’ve heard these types of complaints as long as I can remember.
    People who complain about the Mayor being the source of all that is wrong in the City of Columbus are the same type of people who complain about the President being the source of all that is wrong in the country. No matter who the leader is, they just want a single person to lay the blame on because they don’t want to think about issues being any more complex than “It’s THAT guy’s fault”.

+1

pez
    Participant

I don’t hate the mayor at all. I am disappointed in some of the cronyism and other tactics he uses. In cases like the paving of Lane Avenue, he intervened to ensure the specs would only allow one company in town to do the work, oddly they were a campaign donor. He gave Huntington financial help to abandon the Crosswoods community and relocate to Northland. Now he is killing or threatening to kill visible services to get a 25% tax hike passed, closing community centers, yard waste pickup, police and fire layoffs, possible trash collection fees.

On the other hand, I do have to pat him on the back. He’s very visible and appears to be accessible, I’ve not made the attempt but people I know say he’s out and about and mixing with the locals, which is unusual in a city this size. He’s pressed the unions to make and take concessions. He’s put a hiring freeze on all non-essential employees and from all appearances runs a pretty tight ship.

I don’t know that I would vote for him again, but with an all Democrat City Council, there will be no credible opposition from either party. I don’t envy him, he’s got a tough job.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I should clarify… my last post was more directed at the “TEH MAYOR SUX” type of commentary, and not people such as pez expressing valid concerns in a rational manner.

That said… I don’t agree with 100% of Coleman’s choices, and I do think he has his faults. But I do think he has done a lot more good than harm, and Columbus is in a better place than it was in 2000. Of course, some of that has to do with his policies and efforts, and some of it has to do with the hundreds of other civil and political leaders who help to steer the city.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: