Messageboard - Film Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

HEIST: Who Stole the American Dream? 8/28

Home Forums Events Film Events HEIST: Who Stole the American Dream? 8/28

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 154 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

ToddAnders said:
    While I applaud your effort in making your own way, we disagree at a central point; we all need to work for what we want. You want more “support”, while I want more “get off your ass ness”.

Because everyone on welfare or some type of assistance doesn’t want to work.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

@Twixlen, good; so why give all your hard work away without someone else earning it? We all should work hard and be paid for our labors. But handouts at an unlimited basis have to stop.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

@ Life, if they don’t want to work, then they are screwed. No different from someone living under a bridge.

You must EARN it.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

ToddAnders said:
    @ Life, if they don’t want to work, then they are screwed. No different from someone living under a bridge.

You must EARN it.

No, I’m just summing up your statement. You obviously believe that someone seeking or utilizing available social nets/assistance wants only that and aspires to nothing else.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

Please don’t sum up for me; I’ll help.

If you need short term assistance, we got you for 3 months. If your a child or physically handicapped, we have you for longer.

If not, get off your ass and find work. Believe me, I’ve been there, it works.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

ToddAnders said:
    Please don’t sum up for me; I’ll help.

If you need short term assistance, we got you for 3 months. If your a child or physically handicapped, we have you for longer.

If not, get off your ass and find work. Believe me, I’ve been there, [b]it works.[/b]

For you. Again, way too simplistic and ignorant of reality.

I’m all for reforms but damn if you guys don’t take it to the extreme.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

Therefore, this does not become a generational lifestyle. More of a short term help. And it then helps all.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

Awe, it’s SO complicated? How about this idea? If you receive assistance, then show up at 8am at _______ center, that has child care, and you can work for the city/state/etc…Painting, sweeping, picking up trash, whatever we need. I LIKE that, you?

rus
    rus
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    No, I’m just summing up your statement. You obviously believe that someone seeking or utilizing available social nets/assistance wants only that and aspires to nothing else.

And of course no one at all ever fits that description.

Or, maybe, both statements are true: Some people need temporary assistance, other people aspire to nothing else.

And then there’s this:
    http://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/american-welfare-state-how-we-spend-nearly-$1-trillion-year-fighting-poverty-fail

Perhaps public spending isn’t the best way to reduce poverty.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

ToddAnders said:
    Awe, it’s SO complicated? How about this idea? If you receive assistance, then show up at 8am at _______ center, that has child care, and you can work for the city/state/etc…Painting, sweeping, picking up trash, whatever we need. I LIKE that, you?

Actually, no.

Does it take into account someone who may already have a minimum wage job or are attending some type of higher education/vocational training? Do these work camps supersede all else?

Again, you imply that people on benefits do nothing which is false. I’m much more in favor of using education as a means to break the cycle and reform the social nets.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

rus said:
    And of course no one at all ever fits that description.

Or, maybe, both statements are true: Some people need temporary assistance, other people aspire to nothing else.

And then there’s this:
    http://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/american-welfare-state-how-we-spend-nearly-$1-trillion-year-fighting-poverty-fail

Perhaps public spending isn’t the best way to reduce poverty.

I think there’s better ways but where do you start? You can’t just up and cut and take a hardline stance, as Todd seems to suggest. And I think a short term assistance mentality ignores larger realities. If someone is attempting to raise a kid and finish a degree, at whatever stage of life, 3 months won’t cut it.

Part of the initial solution is to actually treat people with a sense of dignity and compassion. Quit treating poverty as a stigma and collectively associating an entire population with what may be a small minority.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

If you work and receive all the benefits, are you not milking the system? And they are not work camps but simply making you earn your benefits. Don’t you believe that benefits should be earned? Or, maybe, because you are born, you are deserving?

ToddAnders
    Blocked

Dignity are respect should not be given, but earned.

bjx
    Participant

ToddAnders said:

WOW! I can’t tell if you are serious or just an incredible troll. This line of thinking/reasoning is so antiquated I just can’t believe it to be genuine. Maybe I am overstating the issue, but something is deeply amiss in your worldview.

Have you even watched the trailer for the movie HEIST? I’m quite sure this childlike solution was at least addressed in the movie (if just to make the documentary more complete). Earlier I used the phrase “lack of awareness” [b]Good Heavens![/b] That doesn’t begin to describe the divide in your lack of understanding of other peoples’ life experiences, maybe even the complexity of life itself.

You won’t find any solutions on any forum. You need to read lots and lots and lots of books. Maybe go to the local branch of your taxpayer-supported public library and then start with the letter “A” (doesn’t matter what section).

p.s. Great troll if so!

kit444
    Participant

ToddAnders said:
    If you work and receive all the benefits, are you not milking the system?

If you’re working a minimum wage job, or even two of them, you may not be able to make enough to make ends meet depending on your circumstances. You certainly can’t afford medical insurance and your employer in all likelihood doesn’t provide that benefit. We aren’t just talking about people who lack the “get off your ass” quality. Again, you make this grand assumption that is overly broad and mostly false.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 154 total)

The forum ‘Film Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.