Our City Online

Messageboard - Film Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

HEIST: Who Stole the American Dream? 8/28

Home Forums Events Film Events HEIST: Who Stole the American Dream? 8/28

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Not a dig at you at all. I’m asking a question of you about other people.

There are people out there who’s “sink” option simply means falling back into a parental safety net.

Do you call that sinking? Or is that swimming?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Having a safety net, be it parents or a community or church etc they are involved with is a good thing.

Being forced to provide a safety net to others via government intervention is a bad thing.

And in any scenario I’d call it sinking.

Twixlen
    Participant

Snarf said:
    Having a safety net, be it parents or a community or church etc they are involved with is a good thing.

Being forced to provide a safety net to others via government intervention is a bad thing.

So if someone isn’t lucky enough to have a safety net – and so much of that is luck, about where you were born, and to whom – and they aren’t able to provide for themselves… what? They should just die? Old people, single moms (and their kids), people with disabilities or long-term illnesses – that’s the majority of people welfare programs assist. Not everyone can get to the food pantry. Not everyone has a parent or neighbor that can watch the kids for super cheap so they can work – they need a boost, and yeah, that boost comes from the government. Those folks aren’t on full-time “welfare” (which, by the way has a work requirement and will continue to), they get food stamps or HEAP assistance or WIC or maybe live in public housing.

Are there people who take advantage of the system or flat game it? Absolutely – so it makes perfect sense to make a whole bunch of kids suffer because of a few assholes.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Snarf said:

People who are truly sinking would probably not call it that.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Should they die? Meh, I’m indifferent.

Should they be continually enabled to prosper on a culture of welfare entitlement? No.

I resent paying for this failing system which I witness the abuses on a near daily basis.

I’m not so cold that I wouldn’t support short term limited assistance though? /silverlining

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Walker said:
    People who are truly sinking would probably not call it that.

Note to those people…Life isn’t fair.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Snarf said:

That’s pretty cold.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Snarf said:

Should they be continually enabled to prosper on a culture of welfare entitlement? No.

I resent paying for this failing system which I witness the abuses on a near daily basis.

I’m not so cold that I wouldn’t support short term limited assistance though? /silverlining

The difference between a safety net and a hammock, perhaps.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Walker said:
    That’s pretty cold.

At what point is enough, enough?

kit444
    Participant

rus said:
    The difference between a safety net and a hammock, perhaps.

That difference is often just in the eyes of the beholder. One person’s Welfare Queen is another’s Victim of Society. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

phaedrus
    Participant

Snarf said:I’m 31, have worked hard since I was 15. Bought my first house at 21. And have never once taken a loan from any family member ever. Something I’m quite proud of actually.

Sounds like you were instilled by those around you with good work ethic from an early age. That is not the case for everyone.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Snarf said:
    At what point is enough, enough?

For some, it seems it’s only a problem when other people run out of money.

bjx
    Participant

Snarf said:
    Exactly. And if you sink, it’s your own damn fault and no one owes you anything.

I take it you are either trolling or being an asshole (probably both) but no matter, even your trollin’ is unaware and juvenile. Unfortunately, others may not get it so here goes…

Not too long ago, I met a really pretty woman (8+), who more or less said exactly the same thing you said about “the working” poor’s responsibility to survive. Her entitled life is exactly what you would expect it to be: married to a rich guy (at least for CBus), lives in a decent ‘hood, has beautiful child, $40K car, etc. What struck me though was her lack of awareness about how her attractiveness is probably the dominant reason for every “success” she has ever had.

She was simply born with an appearance that guaranteed her hundreds of safety-nets before she ever has to form a thought/opinion that is truly her own (and she sounded like was parroting a supply-side lecture given to her by her husband/male figure). By hundreds of nets, I mean hundreds of moderately successful single guys that would jump at the chance to marry her. Every single thing about her present life could probably be traced back to something she had no hand in creating, her looks.

So maybe like you, someone born with advantages that you were unaware of and trumpeting their “modest” successes of own hands (house at 21? So? What kind of house? LOL!) as being more than they actually are. She put others down without realizing how it came to be that she was EVEN in a position to look down at them.

I do agree that the poor make decisions that time-and-time again shoot themselves in the feet, horrible opportunities & options which they themselves create, and so little discipline over their own resources they cyclically entrap themselves. However, their employers/insurance co./higher social classes also have every incentive to keep them subjugated.

But in the long-run when your fellow citizens suffer, everyone suffers. Its effects slowly creep into your life through crime, sick employees cuz they lack preventative health care, increased taxes thru paying for the obese that can only afford subsidized foods via limited by mobility or income, etc. I’m sure you know all these things, though. The real crime is not your lack of compassion for others, self-inflation, or hackneyed come-backs, it is your failure to acknowledge (and I don’t mean show empathy) that some factors in life are out of peoples’ control.

HEIST has already happened in the States during the Robber Barron Era. Which was basically a “low-tech machination” of what has been occurring in the U.S. over the past 20 years in the financial sector. In a lot of ways, the general population of the U.S. has never recovered from events that happened 100 years ago (seriously) when information and resources were controlled by a few. And this precedent doesn’t bode well for the year 2112.

So unless you live on Park Ave, have a beautiful wife (non-subjective standard), kids in boarding school with a guaranteed future, and plenty of loot offshore, Snarf, you are in the same boat with the rest of us. If anything, your statements (if even serious…which is doubtful!) only expose your own nearsightedness & ignorance.

BTW: Unless you are a real rube, this movie HEIST is going to be about as depressing as a child-abuse documentary. Don’t waste a beautiful waning summer night cooped-up in a boxy theatre; just go for a walk through Bexley instead (which is probably more enlightening about wealth disparity anyway!). Anywayz, If you pay attention to the news and what/why issues are/aren’t covered you’ll find out everything you need to know. Its all there in plain-sight.

rus
    rus
    Participant

bjx said:

What struck me though was her lack of awareness about how her attractiveness is probably the dominant reason for every “success” she has ever had. She was simply born with an appearance that guaranteed her hundreds of safety-nets before she ever has to form a thought/opinion that is truly her own (and she sounded like was parroting a supply-side lecture given to her by her husband/male figure). By hundreds of nets, I mean hundreds of moderately successful single guys that would jump at the chance to date her. Every single thing about her present life could probably be traced back to something she had no hand in creating, her looks.

So, let’s see…

A pretty woman can’t be successful without relying on her looks. Also, she can’t have any ideas of her own if those ideas aren’t what you’d expect. And womens main strategy for success is exploiting gullible men with promises of sex and affection.

Troll level: 8/10.

Well done, sir! Well done!

bjx
    Participant

rus said:
    So, let’s see…

A pretty woman can’t be successful without relying on her looks. Also, she can’t have any ideas of her own if those ideas aren’t what you’d expect. And womens main strategy for success is exploiting gullible men with promises of sex and affection.

Troll level: 8/10.

Well done, sir! Well done!

No troll. Although your post is droll and sarcastic, you succinctly summed up the general trend of familial relationships. Fo’ realz, there are a lot of real truths in there. Of course women won’t ever admit this…afterall they’ve cum a long way Baby!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 154 total)

The forum ‘Film Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: