Our City Online

Messageboard - Film Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

HEIST: Who Stole the American Dream? 8/28

Home Forums Events Film Events HEIST: Who Stole the American Dream? 8/28

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 154 total)
  • Author

SusanB
    Participant

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

7:30pm

Drexel Theater

2254 E Main St

Columbus, OH, USA 43209-2319

HEIST: Who Stole the American Dream? is stunning audiences across the globe, as it exposes the real truth behind the worldwide economic collapse, tracing its origins to a 1971 secret memo entitled Attack on American Free Enterprise System. Written over 40 years ago by the future Supreme Court Justice Lewis Powell, at the behest of the US Chamber of Commerce, the 6-page memo, a free-market utopian treatise, called for a money fueled big business makeover of government through corporate control of the media, academia, the pulpit, arts and sciences and destruction of organized labor and consumer protection groups.

Sound familiar? Today’s crisis and heart stopping headlines can be directly traced to Powell’s real “end game” which was business control of law and politics. Powell’s fingerprints are all over Citizens United, the fateful Supreme Court decision which gave corporations and the super rich unlimited ability to shape our elections with virtually unrestricted donations. HEIST’s step by step detail exposes the systemic implementation of Powell’s memo by BOTH U.S. political parties over the last forty years culminating in the deregulation of industry, outsourcing of jobs and regressive taxation. All of which led us to the global financial crisis of 2008 and the continued dismantling of the American middle class.

Today, politics is the playground of the rich and powerful, with no thought given to the hopes and dreams of ordinary Americans. No other film goes as deeply as HEIST in explaining the greatest heist of our time. Moving beyond the white noise of today’s polarizing media, HEIST provides viewers with a clear, concise and fact-based explanation of how we got into this mess, and what we need to do to restore our representative democracy.

Free and open to the public as part of the Free Press Film Night at the Drexel.

This screening is co sponsored by the Free Press, the Columbus Film Council, the Central Ohio Green Education Fund, and the Drexel.

SusanB
    Participant

A week from today. Free.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I liked the quote from the trailer “If you’re poor, sink or swim.”

Exactly. And if you sink, it’s your own damn fault and no one owes you anything.

elbatrop
    Participant

The US does like its fascism doesn’t it?

SusanB
    Participant

SusanB
    Participant

Tonight. Free. Good. Go.

peter
    Participant

Exactly. And if you sink, it’s your own damn fault and no one owes you anything.

Bullshit. Everyone is entitled to an equal shot at success. As it stands, people born into poverty in the United States have a snowball’s chance in hell of ever succeeding, and that’s not their fault. The system is stacked against them.

Theavenger

We’ve got to blame our failure on SOMEONE.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

peter said:

Bullshit. Everyone is entitled to an equal shot at success. As it stands, people born into poverty in the United States have a snowball’s chance in hell of ever succeeding, and that’s not their fault. The system is stacked against them.

Aw those poor precious little snowflakes. We should (continue) giving them free money for nothing because they were born poor.

MY ASS.

Sink or swim!

peter
    Participant

You mean like how Snarf wants to blame the failure of an entire country (to provide equal opportunity) on the victims? I guess if you guys want to take the (intellectually) lazy route, that’s cool.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Shouldn’t you be out redistributing wealth somewhere?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Theavenger said:

CU informed me it’s all Bush’s fault.

bjx
    Participant

;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Snarf said:
    Sink or swim!

What’s it called if you rely on steady income from your parents well into your 30s? Which one of the two options is that?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Walker said:
    What’s it called if you rely on steady income from your parents well into your 30s? Which one of the two options is that?

Is that a dig against me, or am I missing something obvious?

I’m 31, have worked hard since I was 15. Bought my first house at 21. And have never once taken a loan from any family member ever. Something I’m quite proud of actually.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 154 total)

The forum ‘Film Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: