Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Healthy Dining Options in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Healthy Dining Options in Columbus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

joev
    Participant

For the markup most restaurants charge for fish, I rarely find myself ordering it out. Trader Joe’s has great prices and quality on a variety of fish. You can feed two for $3-5. Turbot, Salmon, Mahi-Mahi, tilapia (though I’m not a fan of that.) Slice some veggies (red peppers, onion, zuchinni, green beans, etc.) toss in olive oil, lemom thyme, salt and pepper, put the fish on top, broil for about 7-10 minutes and you have a super-fast super-healthy, super-cheap dinner. For some complex carbs, whole grain couscous is quick, but quinoa is healthier.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I’m able to find healthy stuff virtually anywhere.

At Surly Girl I get the Cool Columbus Veggie a lot (when not tempted to break down and get the Surly Pizza). I get it with Cottage Cheese on the side.

At Northstar I usually go for the Buddha Bowl with Tofu (fresh veggies, brown rice, peanut sacuce). Northstar is all organic and general goodness but their portions are huge, so watch for that. Portion size is most people’s issue.

In general look for items that are grilled rather than fried, look for items that lean towards veggies (rather than meat), fish is almost always a good choice (unless it’s fried), and if you do eat meat, try getting chicken breasts or turkey which tend to be leaner (again, when not battered and fried).

Most of all, when eating out, watch your portions. :)

Lets keep this thread going it is great so far, I have put on 20lbs in the past year since moving here from Sandusky, I am in the industry so I eat out alot and I have been overwhelmed by how much variety there is here compared to Sandusky and I have tried one of almost everything. I will be on the lookout for healthy options and places that are willing to modify items. I was a nutrition major so I know better I just need to resist temptation, finding items that are delicious and healthy would help. I am constructing a food blog ([email protected]) and will include healthy choices. I will also twitter about it twitter id ckernell

HeySquare
    Participant

Just be careful… if you are looking to watch calories, some foods that sound healthy can be very high in calories.

I was reading an online food article about the worst chain restaurant dishes, and the fish tacos at one of the mexican places had a whopping 2300 calories in it. (for comparison, an average adult can usually eat about 2000 calories PER DAY to maintain their weight.)

And I remember from a post here on Columbus Underground, the Buddha bowl at Northstar(rice and veggies with a peanut sauce) has 1300 calories in it. And I think I confirmed that on another website at the time, because I couldn’t believe it, although I can’t seem to find it now. And if that is wrong, I hope someone lets me know, because I love that damn bowl.

These are just two examples that I remember because I was SHOCKED by the calorie counts. My point is… make sure to investigate the calories anywhere you eat.

mbeaumont
    Participant

HeySquare is totally right about some dishes that seem like they’d be healthy, really not being that good for you.

But where did you see nutritional info for Northstar? If it’s out there somewhere I’d love to know where to find it. I wish every restaurant had nutritional information on their sites, but I assume it’s expensive to have done.

I hope to god you’re mistaken about the Buddha Bowl though, otherwise I will be crushed. :(

mbeaumont
    Participant

Check out Men’s Health’s annual ‘Worst Foods In America’ to see how bad some of these meals are (at the big chains at least).

http://www.menshealth.com/eatthis/20-Worst-Foods-2009/index.php

Brent

Manatee wrote >>
    Not to toot our own horn, but I work at Omega bakery in the North market, and I make soups there. I don’t make things purposefully “healthy”, but I make the stock from scratch, and I tend to favor recipes that have some meat as well as greens, etc. It’s true what Campbell’s say– soup is good food…

You guys sell soups?

Granted, I generally only go on Sundays but I’ve only seen the awesome bread products being hocked by the hot woman working the register. What’s the deal with the soups? What have I missed?

enzo
    Participant

I can find something healthy anywhere usually or ask for it to be prepared differently……..then you do not miss out on the ambience of places you love!!! Ask how things are prepared and choose a lower fat version and watch the portions…that is the killer!!! High fat and mongo family of four portions!!! You should never consume more than 2 of your cupped hands (cup your hands make a bowl–two of those)of food at each meal. Ideally that measure should include mass, liquid and air…..take deep breaths while eating and you fill up more quickly.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

We have soup Tuesdays-Fridays right now. It’s kind of a variety, we usually make 3 at once and switch them up regularly.

Core_Models

The new prime rib burger at Rally’s is excellent…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Ha! Anne & I just had some Buckeye Donuts as an appetizer for dinner. And for dinner we’re having breakfast: Bacon and Eggs. ;)

I don’t particularly go out of my way to eat healthy, but I do my best to watch my portions and try to only eat junk food in moderation. Works ok for me.

Edit: I took a photo. Just for Core. ;)

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Ha! Anne & I just had some Buckeye Donuts as an appetizer for dinner. And for dinner we’re having breakfast: Bacon and Eggs. ;)
    I don’t particularly go out of my way to eat healthy, but I do my best to watch my portions and try to only eat junk food in moderation. Works ok for me.
    Edit: I took a photo. Just for Core. ;)

That photo could only be improved by removing the bread and replacing it with more donuts.

I’m a little embarrassed to post in this thread, since I gained an incredible amount of weight last winter. However, until this winter, I had done OK with losing weight and maintaining it while eating out regularly. One of the things that we did when Carl and I ate together, was to split a sandwich or entree. It gets the meal down to a better portion size, and keeps our options open. I know — you can have half boxed at the start, or take leftovers home, but I’m usually not really one for lugging left overs home, and we just found splitting a meal to be easier. Of course, you’ve got to want to eat the same thing — but heck, we eat the same thing when I cook at home, so we didn’t have to much trouble coming to agreements :)

Daz
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    I do my best to watch my portions and try to only eat junk food in moderation. Works ok for me.

It’s not junk food that’s my problem. In fact, I stay away from most sweets, pre-packed stuff, etc.

I have a severe problem with meat and cheese consumption. Severe. That’s probably compounded by my excessive high calorie based beer drinking.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Speaking of portion sizes, I was pleasantly surprised at Surly Girl the other night when I got the Frito Pie (I’ll naively assume this is somewhat healthy when ordered with the veggie chili) and found it to be a pretty reasonable size for one. Either a light meal for one person or a light appetizer for several.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE