Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Has your debit card number been stolen recently?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Has your debit card number been stolen recently?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 276 total)
  • Author

blammo
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

chaserbrip wrote >>
    I work for Chase, and in fact, we have noticed a large number of customers downtown who have had their cards compromised. Chase has attempted to contact these people, but do not leave a message for security reasons.

Care to explain what you mean by “a large number of customers downtown”?
    Considering the second part of your statement has been debunked and becuause you’re a one hit wonder, I’m going to assume that you don’t work for Chase and that you’re here spreading disinformation.

Well…I suppose there’s a possibility Chase did try to call me, but if they did so, it was from a generic 800 number, and at the same time I was getting deluged with calls from 800 numbers, so I disregarded it. Yes, it’s true, I don’t answer or return calls from random 800 numbers. Especially ones that don’t leave messages. So if this was Chase’s attempt to notify me, it was pretty inadequate. At least send me an email, I can still read it & decide if it’s spam or not.

dirtgirl
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    When I lived in New York you pretty much never left the house without $100 – $200 bucks cash in your pocket. Lots of bars and restaurants don’t accept credit cards. That’s still the case now. It can be a pain in the ass, but you just dealt with it.

agreed. cash in New York came in very handy – not all bars would run tabs and it’s essential for taking a cab home.

Another lesson learned from living in New York (& LA after an earthquake): when a massive blackout/disaster disables all ATMs in half of the country for 1+ days, it’s nice to have some cash in your wallet (and gas in your car).

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

chaserbrip wrote >>
    I work for Chase, and in fact, we have noticed a large number of customers downtown who have had their cards compromised. Chase has attempted to contact these people, but do not leave a message for security reasons.

What? Why? I got a message from the Chase fraud department.

That is odd. Our Chase debit card was stolen last month and Chase fraud called and left us a message.

parker624

I just learned that a number of people at my office were victims of credit card fraud in the past 3 months as well. They think that their card numbers were compromised from using it at one of the downtown restaurants during lunch. I would contact the police if this happened to you, because it seems like it is not a random occurrence.

parker624

oops. computer froze and it triple posted. Walker, can you delete the repeats?

parker624

KSquared

parker624 wrote >>
    I just learned that a number of people at my office were victims of credit card fraud in the past 3 months as well. They think that their card numbers were compromised from using it at one of the downtown restaurants during lunch. I would contact the police if this happened to you, because it seems like it is not a random occurrence.

Please provide proof of your allegations.

somertimeoh
    Participant

3 coworkers in NYC just got new AmEx cards. We must have some downtown Columbus servers moonlighting in the Big Apple and stealing people’s info there too!!! It’s a Columbus conspiracy.

Seriously, stop it people. This isn’t a local issue.

joev
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>

I know. But honestly – where are the news stories about this? An intern got a backup tape drive stolen out of his car with Ohio govt. employee’s personal data on it two years ago. We heard about this so often that it’s incomprehensible a person affected wasn’t aware. Identity protection services were offered to ensure fraud risk was minimized.

The banks should reveal who the weak security link was. If there is a large pattern of crime here, I think we all deserve to know, and the security-compromised party should be on the hook for fixing the problem. Vendors shouldn’t be stuck with charges. Consumers aren’t stuck with charges. The media should (and would) report in depth on it if there was some openness.

KSquared

joev wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

I know. But honestly – where are the news stories about this? An intern got a backup tape drive stolen out of his car with Ohio govt. employee’s personal data on it two years ago. We heard about this so often that it’s incomprehensible a person affected wasn’t aware. Identity protection services were offered to ensure fraud risk was minimized.
    The banks should reveal who the weak security link was. If there is a large pattern of crime here, I think we all deserve to know, and the security-compromised party should be on the hook for fixing the problem. Vendors shouldn’t be stuck with charges. Consumers aren’t stuck with charges. The media should (and would) report in depth on it if there was some openness.

Completely agree. Making baseless accusations about local businesses, however, does nothing but harm the business owners and give people the impression that it’s not safe to spend money there. I cannot fathom that a problem this large is actually a ring of rogue servers in the Short North and I’m surprised that anyone finds this to be a feasible explanation. I’m hoping that the entity that was compromised will come out about it sooner than later.

parker624

Of course I have no proof that other people’s cc info was stolen. I’m just passing on more information that this really is happening to a lot of people downtown, and if its happened to you too, maybe informing the police could help them find a link to the cause.

I hadn’t read through the full 9 pages before posting my comment. Now that I read Tim Lessner’s message, it is possible that this all occurred because the breach of Tip Top’s cc software (which is obviously not anyone’s fault).

joev
    Participant

KSquared wrote >>

joev wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

Completely agree. Making baseless accusations about local businesses, however, does nothing but harm the business owners and give people the impression that it’s not safe to spend money there. I cannot fathom that a problem this large is actually a ring of rogue servers in the Short North and I’m surprised that anyone finds this to be a feasible explanation. I’m hoping that the entity that was compromised will come out about it sooner than later.

Don’t you think those banks that KNOW who is responsible should come out with it? Or maybe the FBI? We shouldn’t leave it to the compromised vendor. This seems like a huge, nationwide problem that isn’t being investigated.

Also, while it’s completely clear that no ring of servers and bartenders in Columbus, Ohio is responsible for all these issues, it’s never wise to rule out that possibility in an individual case. It’s possible. But if you suspect that, you should have some evidence to prove it rather than a collection of anecdotes.

KSquared

parker624 wrote >>
    Of course I have no proof that other people’s cc info was stolen. I’m just passing on more information that this really is happening to a lot of people downtown, and if its happened to you too, maybe informing the police could help them find a link to the cause.
    I hadn’t read through the full 9 pages before posting my comment. Now that I read Tim Lessner’s message, it is possible that this all occurred because the breach of Tip Top’s cc software (which is obviously not anyone’s fault).

It’s happening to a lot of people PERIOD and there is no proof that it happened downtown.
    Edit: Liz stated this better than anything I stated. The thought that this recent rash of theft is linked to one small downtown restaurant is simply absurd.
    Maybe Santa Claus did it. I mean, my info was compromised and it’s close to Christmas, right?

KSquared

joev wrote >>

KSquared wrote >>

joev wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

Don’t you think those banks that KNOW who is responsible should come out with it? Or maybe the FBI? We shouldn’t leave it to the compromised vendor. This seems like a huge, nationwide problem that isn’t being investigated.

Absolutely. If the banks know, they should definitely make it public. Sorry, my post wasn’t clear, I was agreeing with you 100%.

Cookie

Obviously KSquared has stolen our credit card numbers.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 276 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: