Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Has your debit card number been stolen recently?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Has your debit card number been stolen recently?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 276 total)
  • Author

10sun

On the comment regarding running tabs at bars with cash, I’ve never had an issue with that. If I am sitting down at a table, the bill will come at the end.

As far as discounts for cash, I don’t know of many around here, however in NJ it is regularly $.10 off for every gallon of gas purchased. Plus, with cash I never spend more than I plan; I withdraw a set amount every couple of weeks and I use that for 90% of my transactions.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Last time I was in there Ying’s Tea House had a price difference of like 50 cents less if you paid cash.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Chase Bank Notifies Customers of Breach
    Backup Tape Reported Missing from Vendor Storage Facility
    September 11, 2009 – Linda McGlasson, Managing Editor

Chase Bank has sent out data breach notification letters to an undisclosed number of customers after a computer tape with customers’ personal information was reported missing from a third-party vendor’s storage facility.

Tom Kelly, spokesperson for New York-based Chase, the commercial/consumer banking arm of financial giant JPMorgan Chase, says the vendor — which he would not name — confirmed it received and maintained the tape, and that its offsite facility had been searched thoroughly after the tape disappeared. Kelly would not say if the data on the tape was encrypted, but says its data can be read only with special equipment and software. “We have no evidence to indicate any of the information has been viewed or used inappropriately,” Kelly says.

A local ABC News station in Louisville, KY first reported the missing data tape and the notification letters being sent in August. Kelly says the notification letters are being sent out in batches, but would not say how long the tape has been missing, nor what type of customers’ information (credit or banking) was on the tape. The electronic files, according to the notification letter, may have included names, addresses and Social Security numbers, but did not include any banking or financial information.

Affected customers are being offered a free one-year subscription to the bank’s identity protection program, Kelly says.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

roy wrote >>

TimLessner wrote >>
    (Beautiful and heartfelt letter from Tim available on page six of this thread)
    Very Best, Tim Lessner

Dear Tim: Thank you for taking the time to post the informative and enlightening letter. It’s obvious the matter at hand has caused you no small amount of grief and trouble. You and Team Tip Top have worked for years to develop community spirit and customer trust and loyalty, only to have cyber thieves try to steal it. Your letter was great on many levels and I really appreciate it.

+1 to that. Thanks for taking the time to share all of this, Tim!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Rockmastermike wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>
    What measures could independent businesses take (incentives) to make you all consider paying more often with cash? I know most businesses pay a 3% surcharge for every credit card transaction.

If places started offering a 3% discount for cash AND we were to get into the habbit of stocking up on cash…

Stocking up on cash is the hardest part for me.

That being said, I did hit up the dry cleaners today (Elite Dry Cleaners over here in the KLD) and paid in cash as they offer a 10% discount for cash payments.

WildmanDan

Walker wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>
    What measures could independent businesses take (incentives) to make you all consider paying more often with cash? I know most businesses pay a 3% surcharge for every credit card transaction.

If places started offering a 3% discount for cash AND we were to get into the habbit of stocking up on cash…

That being said, I did hit up the dry cleaners today (Elite Dry Cleaners over here in the KLD) and paid in cash as they offer a 10% discount for cash payments.

The only thing I wonder is wouldn’t robbers/muggers etc. also like you to carry more cash, since you can usually call/on-line cancel your cards before too much if any damage is done except replacing cards. But good luck replacing that cash they left with.

rus
    rus
    Participant

WildmanDan wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>

The only thing I wonder is wouldn’t robbers/muggers etc. also like you to carry more cash, since you can usually call/on-line cancel your cards before too much if any damage is done except replacing cards. But good luck replacing that cash they left with.

Actually, in the case of my coworker the people who got her purse got considerably more cash by using her credit cards and ID. Yes, after a lot of work and time her money was restored, but they made a considerable profit.

chaserbrip

I work for Chase, and in fact, we have noticed a large number of customers downtown who have had their cards compromised. Chase has attempted to contact these people, but do not leave a message for security reasons.

JonMyers
    Participant

When I lived in New York you pretty much never left the house without $100 – $200 bucks cash in your pocket. Lots of bars and restaurants don’t accept credit cards. That’s still the case now. It can be a pain in the ass, but you just dealt with it.

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

I have had two moments in my lifetime where I have walked up to an ATM machine and the screen said “Any further transactions?” Once in college and once recently (when i took my daughter to see the Harlem Globetrotters, but I digress …) Both times I pushed the no button and gave the card to security. I just wonder how much this happens and how some people might take advantage of it.

DavidF
    Participant

Conversely, in college I had a $100 piece of pizza at the Ohio Union when I left my card in the machine.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

chaserbrip wrote >>
    I work for Chase, and in fact, we have noticed a large number of customers downtown who have had their cards compromised. Chase has attempted to contact these people, but do not leave a message for security reasons.

well that’s REALLY helpful for the huge number of people who assume any call from an unidentified or 800 number is most likely a telemarketer and will not answer it.

It would be REALLY nice of you to leave a message at least identifying yourself and asking for a return call. The caller can identify themselves when they call back.

Cookie

chaserbrip wrote >>

What? Why? I got a message from the Chase fraud department.

dirtgirl
    Participant

Suppose one could pay for their drinks / food as they order them, but that might be too much of a hassle for some.

ha ha, I do that. And I buy my sandwiches with cash. I am a luddite.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

chaserbrip wrote >>

Care to explain what you mean by “a large number of customers downtown”?

Considering the second part of your statement has been debunked and because you’re a one hit wonder, I’m going to assume that you don’t work for Chase and that you’re here spreading disinformation.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 276 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: