Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Has your debit card number been stolen recently?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Has your debit card number been stolen recently?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 276 total)
  • Author

e-roc

Have AT LEAST 8-9 friends [including myself] who have fallen victim in the last few weeks. Most of us live and hang out in the Short North/Downtown area, but all use different banks. A friend who works at a bank has a theory: we have an entrepreneurial bartender or server in our midst. He explained that it’s common for one to take phone pics of the front and back of a card as they are cashing you out, then send the pics out for 10-15 bucks a pop to someone who then sells them for much more money in other states.

I’m starting to take this personally, as most of the places I frequent are places I trust and/or friends are waiting on me. I hope I’m wrong, and maybe I don’t wanna know the answer, but yeah, stealing money from your friends and loyal customers is uncool.

Any of you guys have the same issue recently?

Hael

My Discover card number was stolen and used recently. Discover caught it within 24 hours, called me to confirm Meijer (and some other stores) transactions in Michigan. I was not held responsible.

One theory on how this happened is that a merchant’s computer has been compromised.

manticore33
    Participant

I recently had my debit card numbers stolen and was hit up for over $400 in charges out in CA. Some of the purchases were pay at the pump (requiring a physical card, and I still have mine!). So, maybe? I’ve been in out of the Short North the past couple of weeks (not bars, however). Likewise, I really do not use my debit card online (only to pay a couple of utility bills).

e-roc

I usually only go to the same 10-15 places in that area… I’m gonna be super bummed if it’s ANY of them.

I also had my number lifted a few weeks ago and someone tried to use it to purchase gas in Memphis, TN. Although I do frequent short north establishments, I’m guessing it’s likely just coincidence. According to my bank, this number lifting thing is becomming quite popular and widespread.

e-roc

I guess it just seems odd when it’s happened to half of the people I know in a matter of a week or two… each day it’s someone new.

blammo
    Participant

This weekend my debit card got declined on 3 separate occasions, even though I had sufficient funds in my account. When I went to the bank this morning to see what the problem was, they said my card was in a group of account numbers that had potentially been compromised, so they cancelled it. Of course, they failed to notify me that they were going to do this.

Regardless, my account didn’t get hacked/stolen, but it seems to be happening often enough around here that the bank is taking action to find out what’s up.

JonMyers
    Participant

It’s not a server or individual person in Columbus. There’s a big issue (that’s been resolved) with a processor in town.

somertimeoh
    Participant

I’ve heard this mostly from Fifth/Third and Huntington customers. I’m guessing it’s more to do with their systems, not actual establishments. It’s probably just that if you hang out a lot in the same neighborhood your friends do too.

berdawn

Both my chase cards were re-issued.

joev
    Participant

blammo wrote >>
    This weekend my debit card got declined on 3 separate occasions, even though I had sufficient funds in my account. When I went to the bank this morning to see what the problem was, they said my card was in a group of account numbers that had potentially been compromised, so they cancelled it. Of course, they failed to notify me that they were going to do this.
    Regardless, my account didn’t get hacked/stolen, but it seems to be happening often enough around here that the bank is taking action to find out what’s up.

This happened to me two weeks ago with Chase. Same failure to notify, except with a letter that showed up six business days later – five days after I called about the problem. A phone call would have been nice.

berdawn

joev wrote >>

blammo wrote >>

This happened to me two weeks ago with Chase. Same failure to notify, except with a letter that showed up six business days later – five days after I called about the problem. A phone call would have been nice.

I got a phone call, but on the landline. the one I never answer.

blammo
    Participant

joev wrote >>

blammo wrote >>

Yup, Chase is my bank as well. Same glorious attention to customer service. Well, they did ask if anyone had called me, for what that’s worth. And I gotta wait 5 days for a new card. Bleah.

e-roc

I have also heard the mysteriously cancelled card story from a few this week… funny how the banks are NOT communicating at all. Last time this happened to me [about 5 years ago] the bank was calling me before I even noticed anything was wrong. Now it seems they cancel your card for seemingly no reason or do nothing at all until all of your cash is gone. Must love angry phone calls.

futureman
    Participant

+ 1 on 5/3

Except they sent the new card to an old address (even though I was notified in mail at correct address) so they then had to cancel the replacement and have a 3rd card issued. Now I’ve been locked out of online banking and my temporary ATM card isn’t working either. ARghh!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 276 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: