Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Has America 'Jumped the Shark'? - Primaries 2016

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Has America 'Jumped the Shark'? – Primaries 2016

Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • Author

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

I call this “Waiting for Trump”

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>NEOBuckeye wrote:</div>
    I almost felt bad for Kasich. For a moment, and with special emphasis on almost.

Really, as governor, he’s done more and in so many ways to damage and dampen my hopes and dreams for this state, and for the quality of life for those of us in it, than any other Ohio politician to come along during my lifetime that I can think of. IMHO, it serves him right that he gets to see own lofty dreams and ambitions completely shattered and broken to pieces before his own eyes, and by someone who couldn’t even give a damn that he had them in the first place. The jerk hiding behind the “Mr. Nice Guy” mask got trumped (pun intended) by someone who soundly outclassed and beat him at his own game.

Ooh, yeah, that’s gotta burn. And it’s going to eat at Kasich for quite a while, I’m sure.

Yeah Kasich ruined my dreams. He stole all hope for ohios future. literally caused everything bad ever imagined to almost happen. Who would have imagined we would be killing poor people for food and rounding up folks into camps based on race and sexuality when we elected him.

Let’s keep this in the proper frame. Kasich’s not the beginning or end of all of our problems, but he’s certainly signed off on some pretty big and nasty ones, like fracking and deep injection wells, which surely won’t come back to bite us a few years down the road when the earth shifts and the chemicals we hoped to forget about find their way back up into the water tables… right?

He’s also pigheadedly and foolishly stood in the way of action on key infrastructure issues, like doing something about Ohio’s tragic lack of a modern passenger rail system. Let’s be real, by the time he leaves office in January 2019, we will all have lost at least a decade of our lives that could have seen genuine progress in terms of connecting Ohio’s major cities with passenger rail.

Also, for a state with so many large and mid-sized cities and that depends on these cities for its economic health and well-being, he and his administration have gone out of their way to undermine their home rule powers in favor of strengthening the governments of sprawling suburbs and townships, while also supporting a state government more concerned with stopping abortion and making life difficult for gay couples than it is with creating a state where people from all walks of life want to be.

I don’t think it’s too much for anyone to want to dream of this state being a much better place to live, work, play, and raise a family than what it has become under Kasich and his administration, do you? Cities around the US are thriving, and Ohio’s are trying to keep up with them. Why then do we endorse and support a governor and political party that seem so hell-bent on throwing roadblocks into their path at every turn?

So yes, I am laughing at the jackass of man who somehow thought he had done such a bang up job here that he felt entitled to spend at least the next 4 years on 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Ohio and the United States both deserve better leadership. Not that Trump is it, but that’s a different post.

goldenidea
    Participant

Practically speaking, I DO like the way a continuous third lane on I-71 has recently been completed from Columbus to Cleveland. That’s works for me NOW. Yeah, it’s not as restful and efficient as a high speed rail line, but we will be waiting awhile for that to be built, under the best of circumstances. Once Kasich is out of the way and we have a new governor, and Clinton or Trump is in office, that rail line will surely be built before their first term ends. So we will then have high speed auto AND rail! High speed rail isn’t a one-time opportunity; who’s stopping the next people in charge from building it, if it works? If Trump gets elected, he’ll probably build it with private dollars to convey us to new real estate developments he builds on Lake Erie near Cleveland and along the Ohio River near Cincinnati.

I also really dig how cheap gasoline and natural gas are these days and look forward to equally cheap solar and wind whenever they arrive in large size… probably around the time we get that high speed rail line. It’s only a matter of years off from when Kasich leaves office. The sun will be brighter then for sure!

ImNotaStar
    Participant

The Republicans and the Democrats have it all wrong, Trump will be the next president, 100% mark my words. Republicans believe Dems will never vote for him, and Dems believe the same, but he has more crossover appeal than either Hillary or Cruz both of who are trying to pander to their Looney base. Hillary is just now doing this because of Sanders and Cruz has always been a loon. Trump has the crossover where idiot rednecks will vote for him, and idiot Union Democrat factory workers will vote for him. The funny part of it s neither the reps nor the Dems realize that getting those two groups to vote for you(which make up the majority of the US population) will let you win.

pretty much still sticking to this. Trump will win Hillary will lose, facts.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

People keep underestimating the technological prowess of the democratic party voter turnout machine for national elections. In the last two elections they have defied (or should I say “obliterated”) the polls in terms of exceeding voter turnout predictions due to their system of computer databases and demographic crunching. And they have lots of young, technically-saavy, unemployed whiz-kids working for them.

Add to that the fact that their voters concentrated in dense urban areas that are easy and comparatively inexpensive to access by canvassing on foot with iPads, and they’re unbeatable. That is as long as they have a half-decent candidate and their base isn’t too pissed-off about Bernie.

Meanwhile the republicans have to either pay auto mileage to canvas suburbs and rural areas or hope people listen to their robo-calls.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

People keep underestimating the technological prowess of the democratic party voter turnout machine for national elections.

How much do you think it hurts Trump to be at odds with his party’s establishment? Does he need their get-out-the-vote ground game, or is that irrelevant to him?

ImNotaStar
    Participant

People keep underestimating the technological prowess of the democratic party voter turnout machine for national elections. In the last two elections they have defied (or should I say “obliterated”) the polls in terms of exceeding voter turnout predictions due to their system of computer databases and demographic crunching. And they have lots of young, technically-saavy, unemployed whiz-kids working for them.

Add to that the fact that their voters concentrated in dense urban areas that are easy and comparatively inexpensive to access by canvassing on foot with iPads, and they’re unbeatable. That is as long as they have a half-decent candidate and their base isn’t too pissed-off about Bernie.

Meanwhile the republicans have to either pay auto mileage to canvas suburbs and rural areas or hope people listen to their robo-calls.

Wait, unemployed whiz kids? wtf is a whiz kid in dealing with data and unemployed? I can never find enough people. I am hiring right now actually, refer me to these unemployed whiz kids please. The fact is if you can write basic sql and know sas, r, or python you can get a job very quickly.

Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE