Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Has America 'Jumped the Shark'? - Primaries 2016

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Has America 'Jumped the Shark'? – Primaries 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • Author

bayrea
    Participant

Watching Trump and Cruz bicker about their wives is funny as hell, I wouldn’t go so far as to say Mrs. Cruz is hideous, although she is. At the same time, the First Lady should be a role model, not a nude model.

Just wait until 2020 when Kanye is president and the 1st lady has been in a sex tape.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Camacho 2024!

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

This is all so surreal, Andy Kaufman must be behind it all.

Either way we could all be royally dinklefwatted.

http://imgur.com/a/qIVAN

OneBagTravel
    Participant

the First Lady should be a role model, not a nude model.

I can send you some pics of Barbara Bush. What’s your email?

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

Did Fonzie jump a great white?

jackoh
    Participant

Did Fonzie jump a great white?

<span class=”embed-youtube” style=”text-align:center; display: block;”>[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYb-S_KNelM?version=3&rel=1&fs=1&showsearch=0&showinfo=1&iv_load_policy=1&wmode=transparent%5D</span&gt;

When you “pray” to get answers or enlightenment, this is precisely what you get. Diderot’s quip, written prior to the French revolution, is spot on. “The people will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” Religion and respect for authority are the shackles that enslave humanity.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

NPR is reporting that Kasich has bowed out of the race. Donald Trump is 99.9% likely to be the GOP nominee.

Why even bother dropping out at this point? Might as well stay in and keep things interesting.

On the democrat side, Bernie is still fighting.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I was not surprised to see Kasich running for President but I was surprised to see him rejected for being too reasonable.

gramarye
    Participant

Why even bother dropping out at this point? Might as well stay in and keep things interesting.

On the democrat side, Bernie is still fighting.

Campaigning costs money and I imagine the donations were drying up rapidly for Kasich. Even those who might have wanted to oppose Trump might not have wanted to spend money on Kasich if they thought it would be wasted expense (since Kasich had no real chance of stopping him anymore).

Bernie has been a formidable fundraising machine. He has also won many more contests than Kasich, so he can genuinely claim he’s got more momentum at this point–maybe not enough to win, but enough to continue. More to the point, his donors seem to have stayed somewhat loyal even after it’s become mathematically basically impossible for him to beat Clinton, largely because Sanders donors know that they’re funding a message as much as a candidate, and they at least in part view their Sanders donations as paying him to continue using the campaign spotlight to spread that message, win or lose (and, of course, they take heart from the fact that it’s at least sometimes winning and also often keeping things very close against the even more well-funded Clinton machine). In other words, Sanders has both more reason and more resources to continue a losing campaign. Also note that even Sanders’ resources are not unlimited; there are reports that he’s been laying off staff and taking other measures that indicate a campaign winding down, though he’s obviously not out yet.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

… Also note that even Sanders’ resources are not unlimited; there are reports that he’s been laying off staff and taking other measures that indicate a campaign winding down, though he’s obviously not out yet.

This is kind of a “non-story”. It’s fairly normal for primary campaign of someone in second place to wind-down and shift resources around as the number of states dwindle. You probably don’t need people in New Hampshire and Iowa right now. You need people working on other things.

jackoh
    Participant

“Sanders donors know that they’re funding a message as much as a candidate.”

This is absolutely correct. And they hope, and some believe (as Bernie has been saying all along) that that message will form the basis of a movement that could bring about fundamental political change, irrespective of his personal fortunes. (The email list of Sanders’ donors will be one of the most valuable items in the political landscape going forward.)

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

I almost felt bad for Kasich. For a moment, and with special emphasis on almost.

Really, as governor, he’s done more and in so many ways to damage and dampen my hopes and dreams for this state, and for the quality of life for those of us in it, than any other Ohio politician to come along during my lifetime that I can think of. IMHO, it serves him right that he gets to see own lofty dreams and ambitions completely shattered and broken to pieces before his own eyes, and by someone who couldn’t even give a damn that he had them in the first place. The jerk hiding behind the “Mr. Nice Guy” mask got trumped (pun intended) by someone who soundly outclassed and beat him at his own game.

Ooh, yeah, that’s gotta burn. And it’s going to eat at Kasich for quite a while, I’m sure.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Wait until Trump is defeated by a woman, that will be a burn for him. Heh.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

I almost felt bad for Kasich. For a moment, and with special emphasis on almost.

Really, as governor, he’s done more and in so many ways to damage and dampen my hopes and dreams for this state, and for the quality of life for those of us in it, than any other Ohio politician to come along during my lifetime that I can think of. IMHO, it serves him right that he gets to see own lofty dreams and ambitions completely shattered and broken to pieces before his own eyes, and by someone who couldn’t even give a damn that he had them in the first place. The jerk hiding behind the “Mr. Nice Guy” mask got trumped (pun intended) by someone who soundly outclassed and beat him at his own game.

Ooh, yeah, that’s gotta burn. And it’s going to eat at Kasich for quite a while, I’m sure.

Yeah Kasich ruined my dreams. He stole all hope for ohios future. literally caused everything bad ever imagined to almost happen. Who would have imagined we would be killing poor people for food and rounding up folks into camps based on race and sexuality when we elected him.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I didn’t vote for him. I’m just surprised that, given his record of union busting and slashing local municipal funds, he nevertheless was rejected for being too moderate.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 127 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE