Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Has America 'Jumped the Shark'? - Primaries 2016

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Has America 'Jumped the Shark'? – Primaries 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Kasich is portraying himself as socially moderate now with the “hey, just make them a cake” stuff. Let’s not forget that the Supreme Court case that legalized gay marriage was an Ohio case…and John Kasich was the defendant.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

I will never supoort Trump, but I could never vote for Kasich either after all that he has done to undermine the quality of life in this state, and in our cities in particular, Columbus included. From his rejecting federal funding for the 3Cs line before he even took the oath of office for his first term as governor, to his backwards-gazing stances on marriage equality, women’s rights, labor, education, climate, energy and transportation, Kasich is in many ways as big of an asshole as Trump on a lot of things, but is obviously much less openly confrontational.

That didn’t warrant giving Kasich a pat on the back and keeping his candidacy afloat IMHO. The “lesser of two evils” is still evil.

The best thing that could have happened to Kasich on Tuesday would have been a humiliating and reality-checking defeat instead of him getting a chance to celebrate in Cleveland with confetti dropping as if the Browns had just finally won the goddamned Super Bowl. He is now motivated to keep campaigning under some delusion or another that he can actually win enough delegates or else force a brokered convention in which he emerges as the nominee. This man does not need to become our next President any more than he deserved to be a two-term governor here.

joev
    Participant

The Browns have far a better record than Kasich, who is 1 for 29.

nohio
    Participant

John has always been stubborn as a mule-ask anyone who has known him since his infamous days as a student at Ohio State. He was always like a bug that wouldn’t go away

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/news/kasich-cut-political-teeth-on-osu-campus/nmMyz/

I remember him losing his 1st shot on an election ticket – for USG. Michael White -later mayor of Cleveland won instead of johnny’s ticket —-

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

chaking
    Participant

Reminder: Gawker is kind of trash and linking to or getting your news from them leaves you at a disadvantage. I’ve been baited into clicking on their links numerous times and I most often leave the article wondering how they could have left out so much context (but only when I know about the subject… when I don’t know, I’m their target audience I guess – clueless and willing to trust an organization that’s broken that trust often)

**No, I’m not a Kasich supporter… just a gawker (and a lot of other ‘media outlets’) detractor

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

Unfortunately a fair amount of folks think they are informed from reading gawker or buzzfeed etc…. Sadly your no better off than someone watching Fox News. It’s just pandering to your narrow world view and feeding a need to feel superior with out having to question your assumptions. It’s like a really weak mother that has no ability to make you learn how not to be a brat.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Is the site itself the most ideal and reliable of a source? No. But even a broken clock is right twice a day. Even Fox News or MSNBC isn’t completely “wrong” on everything. They just slant much of what they present through one particular political lens or another.

I didn’t need Gawker myself to arrive at the conclusions I have come to about Kasich being a terrible governor as well as a loser of a presidential candidate. Regardless, it is good to see that not everyone is drinking the Kool-Aid that he is some kind of great dark horse of hope for America and savior to this state when his actual record indicates otherwise, in stark contrast to his PR image and media portrayal as a nice guy. The writer could have just as easily written a fluff piece about him kissing babies, hugging women, etc., claiming him to be “the anti-Trump” or even “the next Reagan”. They didn’t.

hometown
    Participant

Trump’s support makes me think people don’t really like democracy all that much. A strong man “gets things done” because, well, he’s the strong man. Give us back the king!

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Trump’s support makes me think people don’t really like democracy all that much. A strong man “gets things done” because, well, he’s the strong man. Give us back the king!

As far back as Plato, it has been known that democracies are particularly susceptible to the appeal of charismatic tyrants.

And democracy has her own good, of which the insatiable desire brings her to dissolution?

What good?
    Freedom, I replied; which, as they tell you in a democracy, is the glory of the State –and that therefore in a democracy alone will the freeman of nature deign to dwell.

Yes; the saying is in everybody’s mouth.
    I was going to observe, that the insatiable desire of this and the neglect of other things introduces the change in democracy, which occasions a demand for tyranny.

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/republic.9.viii.html#831 (the whole thing is well worth reading –eerily on target)

This is actually the exact situation that our goofy system of delegates was designed for. The idea is that, in the case where the “will of the people” settles on a candidate who would be disastrous for the nation, the wisdom of the delegates kicks in, and they choose someone else. That’s why we’re called a “Democratic Republic.” “Democratic”, because we vote, but “Republic,” because the founding fathers didn’t actually trust the wisdom of a direct democracy.

DouginCMH
    Participant

I’d just point out that Trump’s actual support has come, so far, from a pretty small slice of the electorate. Not many people actually vote in these primaries (not to mention caucuses) as compared to the general election. But even if you extrapolate his vote percentages from this primary process into the larger Republican electorate, his numbers are pretty modest. He’s gotten under 40% of the vote in Republican primaries/caucuses so far. That equates to somewhere around 10-15% of the overall electorate.

Obviously, if he is the nominee, the percentage of the vote he’ll get in November will be larger than that (not that it should be, mind you); some people will vote Team Red or Blue regardless of who’s running. Still, Trump is the most unpopular individual to have run for the presidency in modern history. He has consistently has an unfavorable rating from the general public of 60+%.

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

In it to win it.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I’d just point out that Trump’s actual support has come, so far, from a pretty small slice of the electorate. Not many people actually vote in these primaries (not to mention caucuses) as compared to the general election….

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. Voter turnout as of last week:

people don't vote

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Watching Trump and Cruz bicker about their wives is funny as hell, I wouldn’t go so far as to say Mrs. Cruz is hideous, although she is. At the same time, the First Lady should be a role model, not a nude model.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

The level of debate on the republican side is positively juvenile. What I would expect from a bunch of 17 year-olds.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 127 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: