Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Has America 'Jumped the Shark'? - Primaries 2016

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Has America 'Jumped the Shark'? – Primaries 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I look forward to never ever voting for Hillary under any possible circumstance ever.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>joev wrote:</div>
    Racists and bigots deserve all the mocking they get.

And yet their vote counts just as much as yours.

No one says they don’t. However, freely expressing one’s, shall we say… regressive, opinions about others does not shield them from the consequences of doing so. Free speech goes both ways. Trump and his supporters can spew as much trashy stuff as they want (to the point of not actually inciting violence, in which they are arguably coming close to doing), but everyone else can call them out on it, mock them, protest them, etc. One thing I’ve noticed is that a profoundly large number of Americans do not understand how free speech works, and how their opinions are not actually protected from other people who find them stupid.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

(to the point of not actually inciting violence, in which they are arguably coming close to doing)

Coming close? I think Trump blew past that line awhile ago. Saying that people deserve to be punched, and offering to pay the legal bills of anyone who starts a fight and hits a protestor? That’s inarguably inciting violence.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I look forward to never ever voting for Hillary under any possible circumstance ever.

Group buy?

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

With Rubio out we’ll see if any momentum swings Kasich’s way. He’s the last establishment candidate left on the GOP side, so the party machinery is going to give him every possible boost they can.

This Kasich as moderate or establishment Republican meme has got to stop.

We’re talking about the “I was in the Tea Party before there was a Tea Party” John Kasich. “Get on the bus or get run over” John Kasich. He’s a typical anti-choice, anti-lgbt, anti-union, anti-everything tea bagger. He’s a Scott Walker knockoff who made it this far by default. What has he ever done or said that is arguably moderate besides playing nice in a few debates?

http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/10-reasons-why-john-kasich-rabidly-right-wing-rest-gop-presidential-candidate-pack

OneBagTravel
    Participant

^exactly, which is why I don’t get the “he’s from my state so I’ll vote for him” people.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

FWIW, Kasich wasn’t even born in Ohio. He’s from a Pittsburgh suburb. Anyone who supported him just because they think he’s native-born is lazy. It seems there was a lot of that going on in this state on Tuesday.

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

WTF…are people upset that Trump lost Ohio?!?!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

anti-everything tea bagger.

Look up tea bagging.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I’ve been a very harsh critic of Kasich. But the vast majority of the things I hated that he did came early in his first term. He and I are still ideologically far apart, but –as compared to a Cruz or even a Rubio –he’s much less socially conservative, and he’s shown a (increasingly unusual) willingness to reach out across the aisle, and go up against his own party both here in the state and nationally.

I have absolutely no plans to vote Republican in the general, no matter who the final candidates are on each side at this point. But I’d feel much much better if Kasich was the final guy standing on the GOP side than if it was either Cruz or Trump. I think it would say better things about the country as a whole, and would promise much less of a disaster in the case that he won.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Meanwhile in Cleveland, this guy deserves honorable mention:

NSPA Protester Trump in Cleveland

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>
    (to the point of not actually inciting violence, in which they are arguably coming close to doing)

Coming close? I think Trump blew past that line awhile ago. Saying that people deserve to be punched, and offering to pay the legal bills of anyone who starts a fight and hits a protestor? That’s inarguably inciting violence.

Yeah, I was being kind. I guess I was really talking about a legal sense. At least once already, he has been on the edge of actually being charged with inciting. I can’t imagine what might happen if there is a brokered convention and Trump doesn’t end up the nominee. Worse than ’68?

ImNotaStar
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Chris Sunami wrote:</div>
    With Rubio out we’ll see if any momentum swings Kasich’s way. He’s the last establishment candidate left on the GOP side, so the party machinery is going to give him every possible boost they can.

This Kasich as moderate or establishment Republican meme has got to stop.

We’re talking about the “I was in the Tea Party before there was a Tea Party” John Kasich. “Get on the bus or get run over” John Kasich. He’s a typical anti-choice, anti-lgbt, anti-union, anti-everything tea bagger. He’s a Scott Walker knockoff who made it this far by default. What has he ever done or said that is arguably moderate besides playing nice in a few debates?

http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/10-reasons-why-john-kasich-rabidly-right-wing-rest-gop-presidential-candidate-pack

Expand medicaid?

You sound like a left wing loon, likely unemployed, so you should like the expansion of medicaid.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Expand medicaid?

You sound like a left wing loon, likely unemployed, so you should like the expansion of medicaid.

Oh please. Go back to New York.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE