Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Has America 'Jumped the Shark'? - Primaries 2016

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Has America 'Jumped the Shark'? – Primaries 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 127 total)
  • Author

RedStorm
    Participant

^Kasich is trending up, thanks in large part to his recent debate performance, but is it too little too late?

He’s probably the only GOP candidate I’d consider voting for.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

Thinking about the future here…. I’m very sad that we have a media obsessed with the horse race and not at all about any issues. Morning Edition (npr) the other day opens with 15 minutes about stats, projections and maneuvers. Nothing of substance.
    We are not allowed any.
    So Bernie wants to pay for all college. Ok great. Why is there no follow up conversation about why college costs have increased so drastically. It is a corruption of our future that no causes and real issues are discussed, investigated and explained. The left and the right are rotten to the core. Now we get a DBag con artist that sees what the media cannot and takes advantage of it.

goldenidea
    Participant

Why is there no follow up conversation about why college cost have increased so drastically. It is a corruption of our future that no causes and real issues are discussed, investigated and explained.

You raise a great point. Most of the debates I’ve viewed have been very light on real, useful content, just a lot of attacking and bickering. At one point I thought… Am I getting more intelligent about politics? Because this all seems so simplistic. Unfortunately, I’m probably not better informed or more politically smart. Rather politics have become more basic and much dumber.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

More great news for a media trying to distract electorate from another 8 years of failure after claims of changing the world….FIGHT AT TRUMP RALLY.
    Meanwhile social security runs out of money in 2036.

goldenidea
    Participant

I’m almost tempted to change my registration to throw a vote his way –something I haven’t done since McCain ran the first time (against W in 2000).

I’m Ohio-born, well-traveled, OSU educated, and have lived in Columbus over half of my life. I’m basically a moderate, middle-of-the-road independent. Perhaps this is being too simplistic, but regardless of personal political leanings, THINKING PRACTICALLY, wouldn’t it almost certainly be good for Ohio, for Columbus, and probably for Ohio State if our sitting governor, who is also a long-term Columbus resident and an OSU alumnus, wins the nomination and (dare I say) even the election?

The nomination alone should bring more positive interest and attention our way. A term or two of another Ohioan in the White House would certainly have larger positive impacts, though for some, there may be bad with that good.

Then when you consider presently the most realistic projected outcome could be Clinton vs. Trump, with some probability of Trump winning, isn’t it reasonable for any but the most disenchanted, down-and-out Ohioans to vote for Kasich, at least in the primary?

RedStorm
    Participant

Kasich and Trump are tied in primary polls released today.

Bernie closing the gap to within the margin of error as well.

RedStorm
    Participant

Then when you consider presently the most realistic projected outcome could be Clinton vs. Trump, with some probability of Trump winning, isn’t it reasonable for any but the most disenchanted, down-and-out Ohioans to vote for Kasich, at least in the primary?

This is my feeling for tomorrow. Trump CANNOT win the state (in my mind), so my best option for that is to vote Kasich and do my part to ensure Trump gets zero delegates from Ohio.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

With Rubio out we’ll see if any momentum swings Kasich’s way. He’s the last establishment candidate left on the GOP side, so the party machinery is going to give him every possible boost they can.

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

Meanwhile a guy in Ohio gets tattoo of Trump masturbating.

Eugene_C
    Participant

Is he watching one of his own speeches?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

There were some scathing comments about Trump on NPR this morning but I don’t think it will be on their website until tomorrow.

Great stuff, they interviewed a Trump supporter who said these outrageous statements express what the people are feeling. Then they interviewed a Trump opponent who said if the people are feeling racist and bigoted, they’re wrong.

“I’d vote for a stump before Trump.”

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Oh man NPR giving a ribbing to the head GOP goon? What next? The daily show makes fun of Chris Christie’s weight? I’m lol’ing so hard.

It’s shooting fish in a barrel interviewing wacko trump supporters and getting your soundbites to mock them. If there’s one thing I always get reminded of during election season is that the United State is a huge fucking place and there are a lot of people with all sorts of ideas out there and undermining anyone’s opinions because they don’t listen to your favorite public radio station or belong the same party kind of adds to the whole “jumping the shark” political predicament we’re in. NPR will still just boil it down to Trump voters are backing him because they’re racist, ignorant, and not as progressive as the other guys. They sure as hell won’t play the audio of a rational trump supporter (if there even is one HA-HAAA).

Thinking about the future here…. I’m very sad that we have a media obsessed with the horse race and not at all about any issues. Morning Edition (npr) the other day opens with 15 minutes about stats, projections and maneuvers. Nothing of substance.

Exactly. Very frustrating.

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

Is he watching one of his own speeches?

Probably in 4k with the warmth turned up to enhance his tan.

joev
    Participant

Racists and bigots deserve all the mocking they get.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Racists and bigots deserve all the mocking they get.

And yet their vote counts just as much as yours.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 127 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE