Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Has America 'Jumped the Shark'? - Primaries 2016

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Has America 'Jumped the Shark'? – Primaries 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)
  • Author

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

I am beside myself snickering with all the of this. The GOP now has to face the fact that the only way to actually stop Trump is to vote for Hillary, she is their best chance for them to stay in power. Oh that taste must be extra bitter now that she is the GOP’s only hope. Game of Thrones indeed.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Chris Sunami wrote:</div>
    There’s not a big practical difference between being personally racist and being willing to exploit racism for gain –except that someone who is genuinely racist can have a change of heart.

Most of the worst race-based actions in this country were based first on the potential of economic or political gain, and only subsequently justified though the embrace of a racist ideology. The entire institution of American slavery developed out of a race-neutral indentured servitude due to the fact of it being considerably easier to identify runaway black servants than runaway white ones. The elaborate mythos of black inferiority developed later, to make people feel justified in their race-based crimes.

It doesn’t matter to me whether Trump is personally racist. What matters is that he’s demonstrably willing –one might even say, eager –to inflame and exploit racial, nationalist and sectarian tensions for personal benefit, regardless of the costs to the country. That’s not just my opinion –it’s the opinion of many (including any number of solid conservative Republicans!).

What the hell are you talking about lol …I feel like Hillary has been doing that same thing with Black Lives Matter, telling blacks that they are being exploited, etc. She is absolutely first hand exploiting racial tensions for personal gain, whereas Trump you’re reading between the lines or saying that enforcing immigration policy is racist.

You do know America’s history with race relations, right? It’s not pretty, it’s not fantasy, it doesn’t exist so Hillary can earn points with the black community. And racism is absolutely still a big problem in this country. If you think Trump’s popularity has nothing to do with it, I would love to see you a bridge I own.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>
    Let’s say that, given that Trump is on record literally disagreeing with almost everything he has said in the campaign, that he doesn’t believe any of the extreme positions he has as a candidate. How does that make him a good candidate, exactly? Wouldn’t that just make him a pathological liar at best?

Are you now just discovering that politicians lie to get votes? Why single out Trump when it’s the name of the game since democracy was founded.

Because while all politicians lie, not all of them become completely different people when it is convenient. Ted Cruz is a theocracy-supporting, obstructionist douche of the highest degree, but he’s always been one. We can trust that that’s what he would be as president. Hillary Clinton has been ambitious and made some questionable moves at times, but she’s always been more or less a moderate Democrat with some hawkish foreign policy. We can trust she would still be that as president. What can you really say with 100% certainty about Donald Trump’s views? Do we trust him when he was praising Democrats and saying he had more in common with them, or do we trust the rapid populist who indulges and encourages the worst characteristics of humanity- an immigrant hating, sexist, proto-fascist? Do you know for sure which one would be president? Would it be wholly one or the other, or some mix of both? Or none at all?

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Are things really that bad in America?

Things are bad for wealthy interests trying to hold onto their oligarchies. Fossil energy producers, banks, giant employers – they’re getting attacked on all sides from mercury, carbon & solar, to minimum wage, to health insurance, to the consumer financial protection agency – you name it and they’re getting owned on it. And now Bernie and Trump won’t take their money. It’s got to be causing some sleepless nights!

DC
    DC
    Participant

1. The fact that Obama was elected says much more about the American people, who were willing to elect a Black Anti-War candidate, than it does about the actual corporate, militarist liar he is. Were more countries destabilized under GW or under Barry?

2. The fact that people are willing to elect Hillary shows just how much Americans are willing to be swooned by pure establishment, neo-liberal, imperialist BS.

3. The fact that people are willing to elect Trump shows just how racist and xenophobic large segments of white America are.

4. The fact that people are willing to elect Cruz reflects our true servitude to antiquated industries and corporations.

5. The fact that people are willing to elect Bernie shows just how tired folks are of relentless, dog-eat-dog, rat race capitalism when we could be living a pretty stable existence.

—This says more about our society than it does about these over-hyped, over-prostituted, centralized, individualist politicians.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

What the hell are you talking about lol …I feel like Hillary has been doing that same thing with Black Lives Matter, telling blacks that they are being exploited, etc. She is absolutely first hand exploiting racial tensions for personal gain, whereas Trump you’re reading between the lines or saying that enforcing immigration policy is racist.

Black Lives Matter isn’t exploiting racial tensions. Black Lives Matter is highlighting racial inequality…very real inequality. The only people who claim that anyone is “inciting racial tensions” or “making us more divided” are white people who are suddenly a little uncomfortable in the chair that racism built.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

In today’s news, Trump defends the size of his penis.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

where can I get a racist chair?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

where can I get a racist chair?

Texas?

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Forget it. No prime shipping.

jackoh
    Participant

In today’s news, Trump defends the size of his penis.

To be fair, the relevance of that particular topic to the performance of the President in the oval office was introduced by Bill Clinton.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Yes there was Clinton and apparently LBJ was known for whipping it out.

jackoh
    Participant

Perhaps the cable news networks, in their coverage of the campaign, could include a panel of White House interns to discuss the merits and prospects of the various candidates.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

It’s tightened to a 4 person race, with Rubio and Kasich still several lengths back.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

It’s funny given how much I’ve despised him as governor, but I’ve really become invested in Kasich doing well in the primaries –and not just because Trump horrifies me. Kasich has run his campaign with grace and class under extreme pressure.

It really makes me wonder if being governor really changed him that much. Maybe having all that responsibility was a maturing experience.

I’m almost tempted to change my registration to throw a vote his way –something I haven’t done since McCain ran the first time (against W in 2000).

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: