Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Happy 20th Anniversary Ameriflora!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Happy 20th Anniversary Ameriflora!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

We have a button from the opening, with “I was there first.” I can’t find an image of the same design online.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

0Angle said:
    ThaMissus was a florist back then and bought us season tickets. When they added concerts to the event in order to try to lure people into attending I ended up going more than her. Los Lobos, Robert Cray, who else played?
    The Irish Pub on site wasn’t bad, but you had to be really sneaky to get the beer out of the “pub” proper.

I remember seeing Peabo Brysen and the Neville Brothers. It was funny to see how beefy, tatted up & thugged out Aaron Neville was, given his ethereal voice.

While AmeriFlora never met the expectations or the hype in terms of the event itself, it was transformational for that neighborhood. I grew up a few blocks from the park, and pre-AmeriFlora it was pretty ratty and ghetto. Ever since, it’s been one of the nicest parks in the city. I think it also had a halo effect that helped the ongoing renaissance of the Near East side.

Pablo
    Participant

The piece of the Berlin Wall displayed at Ameriflora is at Capital Univ.

READ MORE

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Well I was only 11, but I remember touching the piece of the Berlin Wall being pretty cool. So was digging in the sand mountain for plastic dinosaurs. I’m also fairly certain I saw Bel Biv Devoe walking out of a building there following a performance (how awesome is THAT!)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Chris. I have a feeling that I forgot more concerts from the 80’s & 90’s than I remember. There has to be a logical explanation for that.

bikerdoug
    Participant

Joy to the World….I saw 3 Dog Night @ Ameriflora….they put on a good show….that’s all I remember about Ameriflop!

SJT
    SJT
    Participant

I remember singing in the OSU Women’s Glee Club there. We had to wear these heavy, red wool blazers and it was 100 degrees. I remember feeling like I was going to pass out. Not a positive experience. I almost forgot about that day& that exhibit.

somebuckeye
    somebuckeye
    Participant

My dad told me Ameriflora killed all the really old trees in Franklin Park. Not sure if true, but it seems that most of them now are smaller than I would expect for such an old park.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

My dad told me Ameriflora killed all the really old trees in Franklin Park. Not sure if true, but it seems that most of them now are smaller than I would expect for such an old park.

Pretty much the opposite. Ameriflora cleaned up the park, returned it to the city, basically restored it completely.

GCrites80s
    Participant

I found an Ameriflora ’92 commemorative dinner plate down at the farm a few months ago.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>somebuckeye wrote:</div>

Pretty much the opposite. Ameriflora cleaned up the park, returned it to the city, basically restored it completely.

Actually, that is exactly what happened. Much of the park was graded for the event and as a result many mature trees died. Many were also cut down.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: