Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Happy 20th Anniversary Ameriflora!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Happy 20th Anniversary Ameriflora!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

tolemac5050
    Participant

Hard to believe it was that long ago. I operated a business for another individual there, pretty sure we lost money. (After paying Ameriflora a % of sales)

Anonymous
    Inactive

ThaMissus was a florist back then and bought us season tickets. When they added concerts to the event in order to try to lure people into attending I ended up going more than her. Los Lobos, Robert Cray, who else played?
    The Irish Pub on site wasn’t bad, but you had to be really sneaky to get the beer out of the “pub” proper.

pez
    Participant

I didn’t go to AmeriFlora, but a former girlfriend’s parents did. I remember her father telling me that although he didn’t like AmeriFlora, he loved Columbus and if he had to do it over again, he would have raised his family here. That relationship didn’t pan out, but I had an opportunity to move to Columbus that I took advantage of.

I’ve been here almost 18 years now, meeting my wife and raising a family right here. He has no idea the impact of what he said 20 years ago, but for me, AmeriFlora was a success.

Anonymous
    Inactive

pez said:
    I didn’t go to AmeriFlora, but a former girlfriend’s parents did. I remember her father telling me that although he didn’t like AmeriFlora, he loved Columbus and if he had to do it over again, he would have raised his family here. That relationship didn’t pan out, but I had an opportunity to move to Columbus that I took advantage of.

I’ve been here almost 18 years now, meeting my wife and raising a family right here. He has no idea the impact of what he said 20 years ago, but for me, AmeriFlora was a success.

That is wonderfully positive story. Thank-you.

chaptal
    Participant

0Angle said:
    ThaMissus was a florist back then and bought us season tickets. When they added concerts to the event in order to try to lure people into attending I ended up going more than her. Los Lobos, Robert Cray, who else played?
    The Irish Pub on site wasn’t bad, but you had to be really sneaky to get the beer out of the “pub” proper.

I did not go, but I think Randy Newman played there too.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

with the exception of the palm house renovation, the whole thing was a boondoggle. pissed off the neighbors with the fence and liquor permit in a dry district, lost money, plantings were overall not that great, 92 was also a terrible drought year, piece of the Berlin was pretty cool.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can’t believe I forgot Randy Newman. I had no idea what a great songwriter/player he was. That was long before kids/Toy Story.

http://otg.brainiac.com/conidx.htm
    Scroll down to ’92.
    Apparently, Owen lived here in the ’90’s.

patient_zero
    Participant

0Angle said:
    Los Lobos, Robert Cray, who else played?

The Robert Cray Band was there? Man, I love his music. He was really popular 20 years ago. It would be great to see the musical listing. Anyone have an old Ameriflora brochure? City Center Mall (3 years old then) promoted it quite intensely to out of town guests, with room packages at The Hyatt on Capital Square, visits to Ameriflora and Son of Heaven, and 175 or so stores to shop in of course. I remember the Ameriflora promotional bags they would give out with mall purchases.

6a
    Participant

pez said:

That’s awesome, I met my wife when I lived in Charlotte and she suggested we move back here after visiting.

I was originally going to bring up Son of Heaven, but then I saw it was 1989 and then I remembered the walkman I was given to do the tour.

chaptal
    Participant

0Angle said:
    Can’t believe I forgot Randy Newman. I had no idea what a great songwriter/player he was. That was long before kids/Toy Story.

http://otg.brainiac.com/conidx.htm
    Scroll down to ’92.
    Apparently, Owen lived here in the ’90’s.

Owen and I went to a number of the same shows it seems.

Anonymous
    Inactive

chaptal said:
    Owen and I went to a number of the same shows it seems.

I wonder if we’d recognize him, or each other for that matter.

chaptal
    Participant

0Angle said:
    I wonder if we’d recognize him, or each other for that matter.

My profile pic is me. We have met, it was in the nineties when I worked for a now defunct wine shop that sold home brewing supplies.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wines Inc? Small world.

chaptal
    Participant

0Angle said:
    Wines Inc? Small world.

That’s the one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: