Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Hamilton Road and 161 Development

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Hamilton Road and 161 Development

This topic contains 26 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  jbcmh81 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

jbcmh81
    Participant

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/03/01/bridge-park-style-development-detailed-for.html

I heard about this development months ago, and I remember it being said to be more urban in design. And certainly the title of this article suggests that it will be like Bridge Park in Dublin. However, if you actually look at the layout, it doesn’t resemble Bridge Park at all. Instead, it is a typical suburban development with vast surface parking lots lining the road with all development having massive setbacks. Have these guys even looked at Bridge Park? Are they trying to just say it’s urban because they read in the news that it’s hot right now, but don’t actually have any idea what it means? Worse still, this is in Columbus’ borders. Shouldn’t Columbus be leading the charge on large-scale urban development projects rather than suburbs? I’ll say it… missed opportunity.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Huge missed opportunity.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Do Casto, Daimler and New Albany Co even know what’s going on in Dublin? Nothing about this resembles Bridge Park except for the roundabout and maybe the “main street”. Looks like yet another anywhere u.s.a. cash grab on cheap farm land to me. I feel sorry for those poor folks who have to drive everyday on an already gridlocked Hamilton Road. What can I say. Some developers get and some just don’t.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

And certainly the title of this article suggests that it will be like Bridge Park in Dublin. However, if you actually look at the layout, it doesn’t resemble Bridge Park at all. Instead, it is a typical suburban development with vast surface parking lots lining the road with all development having massive setbacks. Have these guys even looked at Bridge Park? Are they trying to just say it’s urban because they read in the news that it’s hot right now, but don’t actually have any idea what it means?

No one representing the project is quoted as describing that it resembles Bridge Park. The only place that comparison appears is in the headline of the article, which comes across as a descriptor written by the author of the article. Which I agree is incredibly misleading. This is a suburban-style design, through-and-through.

Worse still, this is in Columbus’ borders. Shouldn’t Columbus be leading the charge on large-scale urban development projects rather than suburbs? I’ll say it… missed opportunity.

The City of Columbus is not the developer here. It can react to what is being proposed, but can not “lead the charge” when it comes to private development.

lbl
    Participant

yeah, terrible foresight in planning. more of the same for the area. the “idea” of having a mixed use community should be that one could live, work, shop & dine WITHOUT having to get in your car and drive to each one.
    its all situated in a way that no one will ever walk between their office and the lunch spots in the retail area, etc.
    and the large retail block on the East side of Hamilton is set behind a group of residential buildings. out of view from Hamilton.

Yokosukm
    Yokosukm
    Participant

As suburban as it is, I still think that its a good development for the region as a whole. Not only will it increase the population density of Franklin county, which should in theory make a better case for much needed county amenities. It will also bring more taxes into Columbus City Schools (the area of Hamilton Rd., north of 161 is in the Columbus School district, sending students to Avalon Elementary, Woodward Park Middle School, and Beechcroft High School). Lastly, it will also help the housing shortage the Metro is experiencing come to an end, realistically we need to bring supply on the market as soon as possible to avoid the area having over inflated real estate prices, something that is starting to happen as homes are regally selling within a few weeks with multiple offers.

I’d be interested to know the mix of what cities the development will lay in. I know that its a mix of Columbus and Westerville in that area. Regardless I think it’s a win for the region.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>
    And certainly the title of this article suggests that it will be like Bridge Park in Dublin. However, if you actually look at the layout, it doesn’t resemble Bridge Park at all. Instead, it is a typical suburban development with vast surface parking lots lining the road with all development having massive setbacks. Have these guys even looked at Bridge Park? Are they trying to just say it’s urban because they read in the news that it’s hot right now, but don’t actually have any idea what it means?

No one representing the project is quoted as describing that it resembles Bridge Park. The only place that comparison appears is in the headline of the article, which comes across as a descriptor written by the author of the article. Which I agree is incredibly misleading. This is a suburban-style design, through-and-through.

Worse still, this is in Columbus’ borders. Shouldn’t Columbus be leading the charge on large-scale urban development projects rather than suburbs? I’ll say it… missed opportunity.

The City of Columbus is not the developer here. It can react to what is being proposed, but can not “lead the charge” when it comes to private development.

Well either Business First doesn’t know what Bridge Park looks like (unlikely given how much they have covered that), or they were told that it was going to be similar by someone associated with the development… or both. Even a casual glance makes it clear they are nothing alike, so I’m not sure where that would come from. I remember some renderings of this project from last summer that seemed much more urban in layout as well.

And I recognize that the city of Columbus is not the developer. However, the city is not entirely powerless, either, and is ultimately responsible for the kind of low standards that exist that allows for it. Perhaps it isn’t as important given that it is so far outside of the core, but it’s not like this stuff doesn’t happen further in, like pretty much all of Olentangy River Road or the Columbus side of Grandview Yard, just as a few examples.

ohbr
    Participant

Are we back on the idea that Columbus doesn’t have large scale urban development going on again despite all that’s been proposed? Are we really looking at grandview yard and ORR as ‘why isn’t this happening in the core?’

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Well either Business First doesn’t know what Bridge Park looks like (unlikely given how much they have covered that), or they were told that it was going to be similar by someone associated with the development… or both.

It’s presented on the page that Business First is making the comparison. And if you compare at a glance, they’re similar… large scale development that includes office, retail, residential and hotels within.

Of course, a slightly longer glance shows the glaring differences… Bridge Park has no surface parking and each building includes a mix of uses while this new development features surface parking taking up the majority of its acreage and all individual components are completely separated from each other. The housing is all north of 161 and separated from everything else with a highway and on/off ramps. No one will be walking to work or shop in the areas south of 161.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Are we back on the idea that Columbus doesn’t have large scale urban development going on again despite all that’s been proposed? Are we really looking at grandview yard and ORR as ‘why isn’t this happening in the core?’

All development is not equal. No one has said there is no good urban development going on around the city. I have argued that good development doesn’t excuse the bad, though. A new strip mall is not suddenly okay because we got 250 High.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Well either Business First doesn’t know what Bridge Park looks like (unlikely given how much they have covered that), or they were told that it was going to be similar by someone associated with the development… or both.

It’s presented on the page that Business First is making the comparison. And if you compare at a glance, they’re similar… large scale development that includes office, retail, residential and hotels within.

Of course, a slightly longer glance shows the glaring differences… Bridge Park has no surface parking and each building includes a mix of uses while this new development features surface parking taking up the majority of its acreage and all individual components are completely separated from each other. The housing is all north of 161 and separated from everything else with a highway and on/off ramps. No one will be walking to work or shop in the areas south of 161.

That’s what I mean, though. Dublin has been promoting Bridge Park for years now as an urban, mixed-use, dense, walkable development. Yes, both developments have buildings and roads. That’s about where the comparison ends. Your very important point about how the housing is separated from everything else is the antithesis of everything Bridge Park is being built as. I know Columbus couldn’t force the developers to build what it wants, but I have to wonder if anyone even bothered to question the layout at all.

UrbanPlanner2112
    Participant

Interesting.

Big Drew
    Participant

It looks like they went through and changed the title of the article. The web address still says bridge park style though, so we all know what the author originally thought about the development.

MHJ
    Participant

They’re building two apartment complexes, an office park and a few strip malls. It’s an insult to everyone’s intelligence to call this a “mixed-use, walkable development.”

And how many lanes will that “S-curve” central avenue be? My guess is that an on/off-ramp from Route 161 to Hamilton Road is not gonna be much of a walkable boulevard.

The design isn’t necessarily bad on its own terms, given the location, but the descriptions given by the developers are nothing short of ludicrous.

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div>

All development is not equal. No one has said there is no good urban development going on around the city. I have argued that good development doesn’t excuse the bad, though. A new strip mall is not suddenly okay because we got 250 High.

While I agree that it shouldn’t be associated with bridge park style, I’m hardly concerned that a strip mall is being built in an area that really shouldn’t even be in the Columbus city limits. If this was inside the belt, maybe, but I’m not going to waste time worrying about whether or not this fits in urban model when it’s practically in the country and pressing the city to do better on it. Besides, that would only defeat the city trying to get a stronger urban core of they were to push for an urban style development here to draw people out of the core with an ‘urban’ design in the cornfields.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: