Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Halal Meats

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Halal Meats

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Core_Models

Noticed this new Middle Eastern grocery/butcher at the corner of Wilson & Trabue. Some awesome produce (some hard to find items), and apparently the Halal meat cases should be filled later today (grand opening today) including goat, lamb, etc.

Nicest people I’ve met in ages running the store, as I picked up a couple mangos and a yogurt drink this morning. They didn’t have the mangos priced, so she said 2 for a buck as long as I come back again and loaded me up with coffee and cookies for free!

wassan

Oh great, thank you for sharing, I’m going to check that out for sure, its a bit out of the way for me, but in a great location demographically!
    I usually do my “fancy” shopping at the place behind Cafe Shish Kabob out on Bethel road, but the (kinda dirty) store on olentangy is close by and has my favorite thing ever, spicy mango pickle, yum.
    I was told about a great new kurdish bakery out near Rt 161 that makes killer Iraqi bread, but still haven’t been able to actually get the address for it. Nothing beats freshly baked bread…

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

My closest place is Jaffa Market on Godown, just north of Bethel.

BTW it seems they bag the meat in a separate bag from all the other food, is that a halal thing?

Core_Models

alexs wrote >>
    My closest place is Jaffa Market on Godown, just north of Bethel.
    BTW it seems they bag the meat in a separate bag from all the other food, is that a halal thing?

Think so, Halal is kind of like the Islamic version of Kosher and has all sorts of rules about handling.

alison

There’s some sort of Koranic prohibition about co-mingling in plastic totes.

(Seriously, alexs, I’m sure there are proscriptions about the meat not touching other things. sort of defeats the purpose of the special separation. Kashrut has all sorts of injunctions about not mixing tthe classifications; I’m sure halal is also more than mere butchering instructions.)

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I know kosher law covers utensils so I guess that applies to bags.

My understanding is that kosher and halal are basically the same, except alcohol can never be halal, certain cheese enzymes are banned (?) and the name of Allah must be pronounced over the animals as they are slaughtered.

Anyway, I figure it’s locally-produced meat. Jaffa bandsaws lamb carcass sections, and a real butcher is becoming a rare sight.

*edited to add* Oh, and the produce is always worth looking at. Often it’s looking a little past its prime but sometimes there’s a great deal on items you won’t easily find in the major groceries, like miniature eggplants or certain cuke varieties.

rdmeeker
    Participant

Wassan, you better not be joking about this:

“was told about a great new kurdish bakery out near Rt 161 that makes killer Iraqi bread, but still haven’t been able to actually get the address for it. Nothing beats freshly baked bread…”

I lived in Sulaymaniyah, Iraq for a little over a year and would kill for some Iraqi bread and the chance to practice my Kurdish.

rdmeeker
    Participant

To update, I found it!

The Kurdish baker is now baking out of Hayat on Bethel Road behind the Texas Roadhouse.

Real authentic Kurdisg bread baked fresh daily in an oven imported from Kirkuk. They also sell hand-made kabab (frozen) and all the typical arab-store goodies.

wassan

@rdmeeker, sorry I never responded – I am bad at keeping tabs of threads. Glad you found the bakery, they just opened it recently, before that it was just operating out of the house. Good bread, amba & kubba mosul in the freezer. Great dinner, best ‘fast food’ ever :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!