Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Gunshots Fired Outside US Capitol Building

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Gunshots Fired Outside US Capitol Building

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

U.S. Capitol In Lockdown After Gunshots Fired Outside

Posted: 10/03/2013 2:28 pm EDT

The United States Capitol is in lockdown, the Associated Press reports. Shots were reportedly fired outside the Capitol Thursday afternoon. A shooter is reportedly in custody.

READ MORE: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/03/capitol-lockdown_n_4038560.html

Rockmastermike
    Participant

according to this the lockdown is lifted. The only shots were fired by the cops at a woman who rammed her car into the gate

Miriam Carey, Of Stamford, Conn., Shot Dead After Capitol Hill Car Chase

ed: and according to this one she DID start shooting

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/03/20805397-shots-fired-at-us-capitol-female-suspect-killed?lite

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Since i posted that Edit NBC has re-written the article saying she did NOT have a gun.

The evolving press coverage of this is more interesting than the story itself.

Twixlen
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    Since i posted that Edit NBC has re-written the article saying she did NOT have a gun.

The evolving press coverage of this is more interesting than the story itself.

I mean, is it possible she was having a medical emergency? I don’t know – it’s a totally weird circumstance, and tragic. And weird.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

There was once a time a time when police forces took pride in being able to end situations like this without anyone gettinng killed or even hurt. With this situation we have a woman dead and one or more officers injured.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Well, to be fair, they had no idea what was in the car and what the woman was trying to do. For all they knew, she had a trunk full of explosives and was trying to blow a building up. From the video, the windows looked tinted. One life lost is better than 100 lives lost, which is probably the training and justification running through those cops’ minds throughout the chaos of the moment. Not to mention the fact that she tried to run them over with her car.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    I mean, is it possible she was having a medical emergency? I don’t know – it’s a totally weird circumstance, and tragic. And weird.

The news coverage (on the NBC TV news) did specifically say that part she hit at the whitehouse was not an area anyone would ever normally be driving. And then she did a credible job evading police for a fair distance right to the capitol building gate.

Weird and tragic for sure, but it sounds (from these reports) more likely a sad psychological emergency than a medical one. Which, if true, may once again speak another volume on the horrible rates of untreated mental illness.

Sad but we might never know for sure.

It’s also sad that the rush to be FIRST in the news media… even if all they’re doing is interviewing some doofus who heard someone say he heard something that may have been something… completely trumps detail, accuracy, and fact checking of any kind.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:

Sad but we might never know for sure.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/04/20816675-woman-in-dc-chase-may-have-thought-obama-was-stalking-her-sources-say?lite

The woman who led authorities on a chase from the White House to the Capitol before she was killed by police may have thought that President Barack Obama was stalking her, law enforcement sources told NBC News.

The sources said that the woman, Miriam Carey, had a history of mental health problems.

Carey, 34, was a dental hygienist living in Stamford, Conn. Details of her background began to emerge in the hours after the episode.

Dr. Barry Weiss, a dentist, told NBC Connecticut that Carey was working for him in January 2012 when she suffered a fall and missed two to three weeks. He said that she appeared increasingly stressed after an unplanned pregnancy. Relatives have said that she may have suffered postpartum depression.

Weiss said that he fired her in August 2012 after patients complained that she was too rough.

More generally, see also:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/09/psychiatry-prozac-ssri-mental-health-theory-discredited.html

Yet the psychiatric-drug industry is in trouble. “We are facing a crisis,” the Cornell psychiatrist and New York Times contributor Richard Friedman warned last week. In the past few years, one pharmaceutical giant after another—GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca, Novartis, Pfizer, Merck, Sanofi—has shrunk or shuttered its neuroscience research facilities. Clinical trials have been halted, lines of research abandoned, and the new drug pipeline has been allowed to run dry.

Why would an industry beat a hasty retreat from a market that continues to boom? (Recent surveys indicate that mental illness is the leading cause of impairment and disability worldwide.) The answer lies in the history of psychopharmacology, which is more deeply indebted to serendipity than most branches of medicine—in particular, to a remarkable series of accidental discoveries made in the fifteen or so years following the end of the Second World War.

Despite their continued failure to understand how psychiatric drugs work, doctors continue to tell patients that their troubles are the result of chemical imbalances in their brains. As Frank Ayd pointed out, this explanation helps reassure patients even as it encourages them to take their medicine, and it fits in perfectly with our expectation that doctors will seek out and destroy the chemical villains responsible for all of our suffering, both physical and mental. The theory may not work as science, but it is a devastatingly effective myth.

Despite the BRAIN initiative recently announced by the Obama Administration, and the N.I.M.H.’s renewed efforts to stimulate research on the neurocircuitry of mental disorder, there is nothing on the horizon with which to replace the old story. Without a new explanatory framework, drug-company scientists don’t even know where to begin, so it makes no sense for the industry to stay in the psychiatric-drug business. And if loyalists like Hyman and Friedman continue to say out loud what they have been saying to each other for many years—that, as Friedman told Times readers, “just because an S.S.R.I. antidepressant increases serotonin in the brain and improves mood, that does not mean that serotonin deficiency is the cause of the disease”—then consumers might also lose faith in the myth of the chemical imbalance.

groundrules
    Participant

shit is just sad all around. I can’t imagine the dude that shot her feels all that great, I can’t imagine the dude that found a baby in the car feels all that great. Sounds like the woman was pretty sick.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/04/idella-carey-capitol-chase-suspect-mother_n_4041808.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D386299

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I’m surprised the media didn’t say she was driving an AR-15.

Graybeak
    Participant

Snarf said:

Schoolboy
    Participant

Looks to be yet another case of severe mental illness. One in which everyone around her had already suspected/known, but have yet to hear of anyone trying to do anything to help.

Snarf made the joke, but…

Had this woman been carrying an assault rifle, that’s all that the media would be concentrating on.

Its only a matter of time before a severly ill person actually does try something like this with a trunk full of explosives.

Twixlen
    Participant

Schoolboy said:
    Looks to be yet another case of severe mental illness. One in which everyone around her had already suspected/known, but have yet to hear of anyone trying to do anything to help.

Snarf made the joke, but…

Had this woman been carrying an assault rifle, that’s all that the media would be concentrating on.

Its only a matter of time before a severly ill person actually does try something like this with a trunk full of explosives.

The problem is that there isn’t anything anyone can do to help. Unless the family is very wealthy and they are willing to face the problem of mental illness in their family member head on, the ill person is left to flounder in a world that shuns them & denigrates them. Unless someone is suicidal, and admits to being suicidal, no one can force help on them.

I’m thinking back to that dude here in Columbus with the knife downtown. His family had tried to get him help so many times. They knew he was violent. They knew he wasn’t taking his meds. They were reaching out for help from the police and the county centers, etc – but until someone commits a crime, or attempts suicide, there’s nothing that can be done.

The whole mental health system is horribly broken.

Schoolboy
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    The problem is that there isn’t anything anyone can do to help. Unless the family is very wealthy and they are willing to face the problem of mental illness in their family member head on, the ill person is left to flounder in a world that shuns them & denigrates them. Unless someone is suicidal, and admits to being suicidal, no one can force help on them.

I’m thinking back to that dude here in Columbus with the knife downtown. His family had tried to get him help so many times. They knew he was violent. They knew he wasn’t taking his meds. They were reaching out for help from the police and the county centers, etc – but until someone commits a crime, or attempts suicide, there’s nothing that can be done.

The whole mental health system is horribly broken.

+1000

rus
    rus
    Participant

Snarf said:

Well it was Black and Scary, wasn’t it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION