Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Guns Now Allowed in Upper Arlington Parks

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Guns Now Allowed in Upper Arlington Parks

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 117 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Here’s what I do to promote safety in the parks: I organize volunteer events to remove the honeysuckle that provides cover for illegal activity. When you see a news story about an attacker who emerged from the bushes, you can bet those bushes are honeysuckle.

Simple, and no one gets killed.

A161830
    Participant

UA City Council didn’t repeal the ban because they think their citizens want and need guns in parks…they had to repeal it due to conflict with state law and potential lawsuits from the gun lobby. The criticism should be directed at the state legislature and their lack of action in dealing with the issue at a state level.

robertfoshizzle
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>robertfoshizzle wrote:</div>
    How about focusing your ire towards real problems, such as the criminals who conceal and carry illegally — committing armed robberies and terrorizing vulnerable communities.

I had no idea Northam Park had become something out of a Mad Max movie.

I had no idea I implied that in any fashion whatsoever.

robertfoshizzle
    Participant

Here’s what I do to promote safety in the parks: I organize volunteer events to remove the honeysuckle that provides cover for illegal activity. When you see a news story about an attacker who emerged from the bushes, you can bet those bushes are honeysuckle.

Simple, and no one gets killed.

My point isn’t that UA parks are unsafe. What I’m saying is that gun-free zones do nothing to discourage criminal activity. I am more concerned about people committing crimes with guns than I am about licensed owners. If you don’t agree with conceal and carry, fine, but let’s get guns out of the hands of criminals first. Instances of CCW holders going rogue and endangering the public are few and far between relative to the amount of gun violence in this country.

joev
    Participant

I’m concerned with people I don’t know carrying guns in areas I take my kid to play. I question the judgement of anyone who thinks it necessary to bring a gun to a park. If you’re that afraid, then don’t come to the park. I have no idea what’s going on in their heads – but they have the ability to kill me or my kid at a moment’s notice. Stay away from kids when you have guns.

DouginCMH
    Participant

I’m concerned with people I don’t know carrying guns in areas I take my kid to play. I question the judgement of anyone who thinks it necessary to bring a gun to a park. If you’re that afraid, then don’t come to the park. I have no idea what’s going on in their heads – but they have the ability to kill me or my kid at a moment’s notice. Stay away from kids when you have guns.

This.

Achekov
    Participant

So, I can go sit on a park bench with a loaded 12-gauge pump or an AK-47 and no one will care? Who wants to bet the phones at the police station would be lit up like a Christmas tree if someone did that?

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

So, I can go sit on a park bench with a loaded 12-gauge pump or an AK-47 and no one will care? Who wants to bet the phones at the police station would be lit up like a Christmas tree if someone did that?

Just tell them you’re a well-regulated malitia of one, and you’re a good guy who’s there in case some bad guy wants to cause trouble.

kit444
    Participant

Is alcohol still prohibited in parks? If so, how fair is that? If you outlaw alcohol in parks, then only outlaws will have alcohol.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Is alcohol still prohibited in parks? If so, how fair is that? If you outlaw alcohol in parks, then only outlaws will have alcohol.

Good point!

We should also make littering in parks legal again too, because only the renegades are throwing their trash on the ground. And that’s not fair to everyone else who is denied that freedom and are forced to use trash cans like a bunch of mindless sheeple.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The matter of criminals with illegal guns is entirely separate. If you want to take those away, you’ll need a Really Big Magnet.

What concerns me and others is the prospect of anyone who acts on the belief that using a gun in a crowded park is a good solution to a problem. I don’t own a gun but even I know you don’t fire unless you know for certain what’s downrange.

Eugene_C
    Participant

Agree! The signs should be changed to say that you may possess either alcohol or a firearm in the park, but not both at once in the park.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

That’s one thing about removing the honeysuckle, we’ve ruined a lot of hidden party spots.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

All these unfounded hypothetical scenarios sure are scary. Won’t someone think of the children!?

MRipley
    Participant

Somewhat certain that someone seeking to off you and your kids with a gun in a park isn’t going to give two shits about any laws or rules, sorta like the teen that killed the woman in Ridgewood Park with a knife probably didn’t care that knifing someone is against the rules.

What’s funny about the this gun controllers omg now I’m gonna get shot in the park hysteria is that at any given moment in a busy public park I would bet that there is at least one person and maybe several with a CCP and loaded weapon within range, and yet gun controllers survive to post their hysteria yet another day.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 117 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION