Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Guns Now Allowed in Upper Arlington Parks

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Guns Now Allowed in Upper Arlington Parks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 117 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Upper Arlington Changes Local Laws To Allow Guns In Public Parks
    Sunday May 4, 2014 12:00 AM

UPPER ARLINGTON, Ohio – A decision by the city means residents in Upper Arlington could soon be seeing people with guns at public parks. Upper Arlington officials said they have to allow people to openly carry guns in city parks in order to comply with state law.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/05/03/upper-arlington-changes-Local-Laws-To-Allow-Guns-In-Public-Parks.html

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Never seen someone open carry in Ohio. Seems highly unlikely you’d see it in an Upper Arlington park.. But hey, guns! Black ones that shoot bullets! Run!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Never seen someone open carry in Ohio. Seems highly unlikely you’d see it in an Upper Arlington park.

Sounds like you’ve got two good reasons to just ban them then, since the ban wouldn’t negatively impact anyone anyway.

MattH614
    Participant

the second amendmentgives every law abiding citizen the right to carry a gun. you may open carry which means you can carry it on your hip like in the old west or you can get your CCW or concealed carry permit and Carrie your firearm concealed.just because you don’t see it very often or know anyone who doesshould you just go ahead and ban it or outlaw it. these are your constitutional rights.educate yourself before you go banning stuff

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

the second amendmentgives every law abiding citizen the right to carry a gun. you may open carry which means you can carry it on your hip like in the old west or you can get your CCW or concealed carry permit and Carrie your firearm concealed.just because you don’t see it very often or know anyone who doesshould you just go ahead and ban it or outlaw it. these are your constitutional rights.educate yourself before you go banning stuff

The above paragraph ending with “educate yourself” is the best thing I’ve seen in weeks.

DavidF
    Participant

Who’s this Carrie and why does she get to conceal my gun?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

It is a basic rule of gun safety at a range, that everybody stays behind the firing line. That goes out the window when some self-appointed Judge Dredd decides to open fire on someone in a busy public place like a park or a restaurant. Now add a few more JJ&E holders in various locations and you get a crossfire with no one in command.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Who’s this Carrie and why does she get to conceal my gun?

robertfoshizzle
    Participant

It is a basic rule of gun safety at a range, that everybody stays behind the firing line. That goes out the window when some self-appointed Judge Dredd decides to open fire on someone in a busy public place like a park or a restaurant. Now add a few more JJ&E holders in various locations and you get a crossfire with no one in command.

How about focusing your ire towards real problems, such as the criminals who conceal and carry illegally — committing armed robberies and terrorizing vulnerable communities. The amount of incidents and live fire coming from those who carry guns legally isn’t even a drop in the bucket compared to the problems caused by those who carry illegally. People let their emotions get in the way of rational thinking when it comes to guns. I don’t like guns either. I don’t own one and I wish they didn’t exist. But they do, and unless we find a way to successfully keep them out of the hands of criminals, why focus your energy on hassling law-abiding citizens?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Because it is a conceit to assume that holding a permit empowers one to make life-and-death decisions when “the police will be there in minutes” – someone trained only in handling a gun is not trained in public safety, is under no command, and is unable to un-do the results of the actions they are eager to take because they feel empowered by carrying a firearm.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

How about focusing your ire towards real problems, such as the criminals who conceal and carry illegally — committing armed robberies and terrorizing vulnerable communities.

I had no idea Northam Park had become something out of a Mad Max movie.

DouginCMH
    Participant

America: The land of the free and the home of the paranoid. Anyone who feels unsafe in a UA city park has problems that a handgun won’t solve. Seriously, as someone with kids who frequents Columbus parks, the minute I start seeing gun-toting ‘patriots’ flashing their 2nd amendment appendages in a public venue like a city park, it’s very likely the last time I visit a city park with my kids. What’s wrong with these people?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I feel some people think having a carry permit deputizes you and you become Johnny Law, which is totally ignorant.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

null

geoyui
    Participant

From the article:

Some in favor of allowing guns in parks told 10TV they think it might help make the place feel safer against people with bad intentions.

If someone needs to carry a gun to feel safe in Fancyburg park, then they’ll never feel safe.

“If someone’s carrying one around for their own safety, I can respect that, but I don’t necessarily want them around my children in a public park with it,” said Chris Lloyd.

I completely agree with this.

Hilliard and New Albany have also recently updated city code to allow people to carry guns in parks.

I wonder which cities are remaining?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 117 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: