Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Grocery Shopping for Downtown residents

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Grocery Shopping for Downtown residents

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 208 total)
  • Author

GusParks

rus wrote >>

GusParks wrote >>
    When you think of downtown living the point is community and convenience.

Those are good things, but why would they be specific to “downtown living”?

Not necessarily specific to, but still necessary. Suburbs are convenient as well in a wholly different way. Perhaps i should have been more specific.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

[quote]I just have to be realistic on this one…Ugh. perhaps it’s just me but if i had to walk 18 minutes through downtown’s[/quote]

Well the OP asked where he could go within 15 minutes.

[quote]Besides, big trips you are going to take you car anyway. Not sure i would want to carry 100 lbs of groceries 1.9 miles or whatever it is in the cold.[/quote]

I think most of us would agree with this…which is why the OP’s insistence of a walkable grocery is pretty ridiculous.

[quote]there is really nothing accesible within 5 minutes that is convenient for day to day living[/quote]

By walking? I would agree to an extent. But if you throw driving in there (Let’s face it, Columbus is no New York) downtown is pretty convenient for most needs.

Antonio

GusParks wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    Do I need to walk you through a Google tutorial?
    There is a Giant Eagle 1.5 miles North and West-ish on Neil and another 1.5 miles South and East-ish on Whiter. Most grocery stores have a bubble of sorts to prevent overlapping with another store in their same chain. Plopping a Giant Eagle downtown runs the risk of cutting profits between all 3 stores, while raising the operating revenue. Take a look at how many stores Starbucks has closed in the last few years.
    At 18 minutes (according to your map) I am pretty sure the North Market, at 9 am Sunday, would meet your needs perfectly fine for the specified groceries.

I just have to be realistic on this one…Ugh. perhaps it’s just me but if i had to walk 18 minutes through downtown’s grey corridor to North Market every time i wanted something from the store i would shoot myself in the face. I’m thinking like 5 minutes. I don’t know about everyone else but i go to the store like 4 to 6 times a week. THAT is why no one is flocking to live downtown. That was the exact reason i sold my condo there…that and other related reasons.
    No matter where you live whether it is gay street, discovery district, 60 Spring, North Bank, there is really nothing accesible within 5 minutes that is convenient for day to day living. When you think of downtown living the point is community and convenience. I would think that walk would get pretty old every time you needed milk, or bread, or a newspaper. Besides, big trips you are going to take you car anyway. Not sure i would want to carry 100 lbs of groceries 1.9 miles or whatever it is in the cold.
    From the people i have talked to, the consensus seems to be that there is just simply not enough overall desire from most of your community to support bodegas, shops, and other basic services that would make downtown fun and an interesting place to live. People just assume to live in the suburbs. There are those that are championing for vibrant downtown of course, and are investing in the concept, but ultimately i think they might be fighting a losing battle.

Why bring logic and first hand expereience into the converersation.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Antonio wrote >>

GusParks wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    There is a Giant Eagle 1.5 miles North and West-ish on Neil and another 1.5 miles South and East-ish on Whiter. Most grocery stores have a bubble of sorts to prevent overlapping with another store in their same chain. Plopping a Giant Eagle downtown runs the risk of cutting profits between all 3 stores, while raising the operating revenue. Take a look at how many stores Starbucks has closed in the last few years.
    At 18 minutes (according to your map) I am pretty sure the North Market, at 9 am Sunday, would meet your needs perfectly fine for the specified groceries.

I just have to be realistic on this one…Ugh. perhaps it’s just me but if i had to walk 18 minutes through downtown’s grey corridor to North Market every time i wanted something from the store i would shoot myself in the face. I’m thinking like 5 minutes. I don’t know about everyone else but i go to the store like 4 to 6 times a week. THAT is why no one is flocking to live downtown. That was the exact reason i sold my condo there…that and other related reasons.
    No matter where you live whether it is gay street, discovery district, 60 Spring, North Bank, there is really nothing accesible within 5 minutes that is convenient for day to day living. When you think of downtown living the point is community and convenience. I would think that walk would get pretty old every time you needed milk, or bread, or a newspaper. Besides, big trips you are going to take you car anyway. Not sure i would want to carry 100 lbs of groceries 1.9 miles or whatever it is in the cold.
    From the people i have talked to, the consensus seems to be that there is just simply not enough overall desire from most of your community to support bodegas, shops, and other basic services that would make downtown fun and an interesting place to live. People just assume to live in the suburbs. There are those that are championing for vibrant downtown of course, and are investing in the concept, but ultimately i think they might be fighting a losing battle.

So 1 person’s experience is all the proof or backing you need? Incredible.

I think conversations like this are hard to hash out considering how personal each person’s needs are. I live in the suburbs at the moment and given the lack of transit, sidewalks, bike trails and the fact I have to drive everywhere, downtown’s inconveniences seem like paradise.

rus
    rus
    Participant

GusParks wrote >>

rus wrote >>

GusParks wrote >>
    When you think of downtown living the point is community and convenience.

Those are good things, but why would they be specific to “downtown living”?

Not necessarily specific to, but still necessary. Suburbs are convenient as well in a wholly different way. Perhaps i should have been more specific.

No worries…

GusParks

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    [quote]I just have to be realistic on this one…Ugh. perhaps it’s just me but if i had to walk 18 minutes through downtown’s[/quote]
    Well the OP asked where he could go within 15 minutes.
    [quote]Besides, big trips you are going to take you car anyway. Not sure i would want to carry 100 lbs of groceries 1.9 miles or whatever it is in the cold.[/quote]
    I think most of us would agree with this…which is why the OP’s insistence of a walkable grocery is pretty ridiculous.
    [quote]there is really nothing accesible within 5 minutes that is convenient for day to day living[/quote]
    By walking? I would agree to an extent. But if you throw driving in there (Let’s face it, Columbus is no New York) downtown is pretty convenient for most needs.

I would agree driving you can probably get to most of what you need living downtown. For me though, i really like the experience of being in a downtown setting where you can walk and experience things by foot. I hate looking for parking downtown as most probably do…

Bottom line for me, the experience that most are looking for when they move to an urban downtown setting is still clearly missing there still.

Antonio

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Antonio wrote >>

GusParks wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

I said that ?

You live in the burbs, you have no expereience in this. Incredible.

GusParks

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Antonio wrote >>

GusParks wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

I think conversations like this are hard to hash out considering how personal each person’s needs are. I live in the suburbs at the moment and given the lack of transit, sidewalks, bike trails and the fact I have to drive everywhere, downtown’s inconveniences seem like paradise.

Proof?? Backing? I’m just saying the convenience and dream lifestyle you seem to be looking for i did not find downtown when i lived there. Perhaps if you move from the burbs downtown you might have a slightly different opinion on it…but until then….

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Antonio wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Antonio wrote >>

GusParks wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

I said that ?

Lived for a year in Weinland Park and another year in the SW part of campus. Worked 3 years in the heart of downtown and have been working for the last 6-7 months in the Discovery District on the eastern edge. Currently looking at either getting into an apartment in the Discovery District or buying a house on the Hilltop in Highland West.

GusParks

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Antonio wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Antonio wrote >>

GusParks wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

I said that ?

Lived for a year in Weinland Park and another year in the SW part of campus. Worked 3 years in the heart of downtown and have been working for the last 6-7 months in the Discovery District on the eastern edge. Currently looking at either getting into an apartment in the Discovery District or buying a house on the Hilltop in Highland West.

Might add as you are aware i’m sure, working and living DWTWN are different – and here in CBUS completely different. During the week DWTWN might seem cool or whatever, but after 6 and weekends nothing is open and it seems like everyone was raptured.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Gus, I wasn’t responding to you. Just pointing out that the implication in Antonio’s post that your experience was all he needed. Yet he had nothing to say about another person’s experience.

As I said, all of this is rather personal. It’s kind of hard to paint with a broad brush that downtown is somehow horrible without x, y, z when someone may be perfectly fine with that because there is a, b, c.

The real conversation shouldn’t be how do you get [national grocery chain] in downtown, it’s how do you create the critical mass of residents to support such development? In another thread it was pointed out that there is a disparity between the price of new condos and the price of existing real estate surrounding said projects.

That’s what I am facing now: pay $400-500 AND utilities on top of that for a small studio/1 bedroom vs. paying $200 and change a month for a decent sized house and backyard that can see value appreciate over time. Only a few miles away from the city’s entertainment and night life, easy access to transit and bike routes. Still many of the inconveniences that exist downtown but the smaller area is more likely to change more quickly over time.

When someone finds a way to bridge that gap and provide better competition in pricing (which is hard given that most anything downtown will be new build) to make downtown more accessible, then I think you can address some of the needs and inconveniences far better.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

And fully aware. Much of that time working downtown included weekend hours. Kind of hard to grab coffee or some food.

GusParks

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    Gus, I wasn’t responding to you. Just pointing out that the implication in Antonio’s post that your experience was all he needed. Yet he had nothing to say about another person’s experience.
    As I said, all of this is rather personal. It’s kind of hard to paint with a broad brush that downtown is somehow horrible without x, y, z when someone may be perfectly fine with that because there is a, b, c.
    The real conversation shouldn’t be how do you get [national grocery chain] in downtown, it’s how do you create the critical mass of residents to support such development? In another thread it was pointed out that there is a disparity between the price of new condos and the price of existing real estate surrounding said projects.
    That’s what I am facing now: pay $400-500 AND utilities on top of that for a small studio/1 bedroom vs. paying $200 and change a month for a decent sized house and backyard that can see value appreciate over time. Only a few miles away from the city’s entertainment and night life, easy access to transit and bike routes. Still many of the inconveniences that exist downtown but the smaller area is more likely to change more quickly over time.
    When someone finds a way to bridge that gap and provide better competition in pricing (which is hard given that most anything downtown will be new build) to make downtown more accessible, then I think you can address some of the needs and inconveniences far better.

Sorry. I thought this was an open forum. I agree somewhat. I suppose if it works for you great! For me someone who spent considerable time living in San Fran, L.A., San Diego, it just didn’t work out and mostly regretted my purchase downtown for it simply did not live up to what myself and many others thought could be realized downtown. I suppose my expectations were that perhaps downtown could possibly be a simular place as those i was used to for many years. In my eyes just not up to snuff…and that’s an OPINION of someone who lived and worked downtown. Only reason i jumped in was in case someone might be interested in someone’s experience, that’s all. Good luck – hope you find something.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I think downtown may have come close 40-50 years ago when there a greater population. But the suburban flight kind of killed that. Over time, I think it can return to some resemblance of what it was.

Part of the issue is looking at it and comparing it to coastal cities who have kept things like transit, built up and not out. Pretty hard to compare to cities that have added to their density and where 6-7 groceries within 10 minutes walk aren’t just the norm, it’s a necessity to meet the needs of the population.

From a midwest perspective, downtown Columbus isn’t that bad off. Given the access to higher learning, culture, festivals and some pretty amazing local businesses.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Gus:

From your description of what you want ( no driving, especially ), sounds like an inner ring suburb is more of a fit than downtown.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 208 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.